Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Come on people lets have some love for Pascal Groß

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I actually think Groß will be targeted by some other Premier League sides in the summer; he is that good. I can see a team like Leicester offering £20m+. Best we get in Nick Powell early in case the offer is too good to turn down.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Fixed.

I understand that competition for places is good, but let's not overdo it eh. We need to fight to survive in this league, I don't suppose someone like Gross wants to spend next season in the Championship. He'd also be facing competition from Baldock.

They may play together in some games when we need through balls to a pacey striker, depending on opposition.

PS – I trust you aren't one of those that might say he's raised his game now there's more competition for his place :)

No.

Are you really suggesting that improved competition for places is irrelevant?!? That a half fit Sam Baldock is akin to the threat Jurgen and Leo pose to the hither to first picks Gross and Murray?!?

Give over.

It is NO coincidence that Glenn has upped his effort and that Gross suddenly ‘woke’ up given Jurgen has probably ‘smashed’ it in training this week.

I agree that Chris may well opt not to drop the obvious, however the recruitment has given the current shirt wearers a timely kick up the arse.

Yes, they’re fighting BUT no player worth his salt wants to be dropped and replaced by a better and difficult to dispose player.

Glenn, for example, previously saw Tomer as a threat to his place and put shifts in to ensure his place. When it became obvious Hemed was off form, out of luck etc. Glenn got his slippers out... Now Leo and Jurgen rock up and lo and behold... he’s running, trying and scoring once more.

Interesting.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Gross up until yesterday contributed very little in last 5/6 games and many including me were suggesting he was left out. It seems people are saying when team plays well so does Gross. Well you can say that about most players. However when we are struggling team should look to Stevens,Propper and Gross to make something happen,His assist and goal yesterday were outstanding but thought he was poor in first half.

And there's a thing, Stephens was outstanding yesterday too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am one of those who feel Gross had not performed particularly well in some of the previous games. He played much better today as did many of the players but whether that was because WHU were very poor or because as a unit we upped our game is probably a moot point. He does look a lot better in an attacking team and IMO when he does play in our 4 4 2 format he really should be more forward as he has shown he is a great finisher.

I am also not keen on Bong he is strong and athletic but unfortunately I don't think he can deliver the ball when he gets into good dangerous positions, that does mean I think he is sh*t just I would prefer Sutner to be first choice.

Yesterday was brilliant so let's not take it away from anyone but we need same again going forward.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am one of those who feel Gross had not performed particularly well in some of the previous games. He played much better today as did many of the players but whether that was because WHU were very poor or because as a unit we upped our game is probably a moot point. He does look a lot better in an attacking team and IMO when he does play in our 4 4 2 format he really should be more forward as he has shown he is a great finisher.

I am also not keen on Bong he is strong and athletic but unfortunately I don't think he can deliver the ball when he gets into good dangerous positions, that does mean I think he is sh*t just I would prefer Sutner to be first choice.

Yesterday was brilliant so let's not take it away from anyone but we need same again going forward.

Called your card there fella :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I understand that competition for places is good
No.

Are you really suggesting that improved competition for places is irrelevant?!?
What? I said competition for place was good. Just don't overdo your reading into it.
That a half fit Sam Baldock
Why is he only half fit? He's not been injured for a while, played a full game against Middlesbrough, and you're comparing him to Jurgen who hasn't played at all since an injury just a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

is akin to the threat Jurgen and Leo pose to the hither to first picks Gross and Murray?!?
Where did Murray come into this? We were talking about Gross, not Murray.

It is NO coincidence that Glenn has upped his effort and that Gross suddenly ‘woke’ up given Jurgen has probably ‘smashed’ it in training this week.
What a load of crap. Murray has been fighting Hemed for his place and Ulloa was here before Wednesday's game, and the whole team played better on Saturday - is Jurgen threatening to place every position on the pitch? And Jurge just started training on Thursday - he's unlikely to have smashed it on his first day back after tearing his hamstring.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Called your card there fella :wink:

Not at all. On balance I prefer Sutner as he is better on the ball but I also see that Bong is much more physically strong and in some games that means he is going to be the better option. Yesterday it was marginal as to who would be the best option as the WHU no 8 was quite a handful and Bong handled him well. But I get very frustrated when Bong tries to cross , or does not overlap when he should or turns what should be a forward pass/cross into a back pass.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not at all. On balance I prefer Sutner as he is better on the ball but I also see that Bong is much more physically strong and in some games that means he is going to be the better option. Yesterday it was marginal as to who would be the best option as the WHU no 8 was quite a handful and Bong handled him well. But I get very frustrated when Bong tries to cross , or does not overlap when he should or turns what should be a forward pass/cross into a back pass.

I think you just had your first 'whoooosh' of the day.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What? I said competition for place was good. Just don't overdo your reading into it.
Why is he only half fit? He's not been injured for a while, played a full game against Middlesbrough, and you're comparing him to Jurgen who hasn't played at all since an injury just a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

Where did Murray come into this? We were talking about Gross, not Murray.

What a load of crap. Murray has been fighting Hemed for his place and Ulloa was here before Wednesday's game, and the whole team played better on Saturday - is Jurgen threatening to place every position on the pitch? And Jurge just started training on Thursday - he's unlikely to have smashed it on his first day back after tearing his hamstring.

Heh heh... highly selective editing really has become your forte these days!

I was alluding to the fact that you seem to claim competition has little to do with improved performance levels - thus my comments re Murray are relevant. This and Jurgen can play as a deep lying forward, winger or out and out striker. He’s also resumed full training and is near full fitness. Sam, well, something is most certainly up with him this season. This and Leo being back, well I see an undoubted improvement in Murray’s general willingness and effort.

Did you not also state Jurgen is an option as an out and out winger?!? When he was signed as a central striker hmmmmm yet you call me for suggesting he is a threat to multiple players. Gross knows he needs to up his levels, Murray too - yesterday and even Southampton were indicators of a new dawn wrought from the influx of genuine premier quality players. Sam Baldock is not even in the same league.

Gross has been generally poor for weeks and then this, this following the ‘unrelated’ news that Jurgen is near match fitness... unrelated my arse.

You also said people who believe the new signings have improved the first XI performances were idiots! I sense the back tracking of a fine nsc politician.

:)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Heh heh... highly selective editing really has become your forte these days!
Not at all, I'm not cutting anything out, just making it clear which comments I'm replying to.
I was alluding to the fact that you seem to claim competition has little to do with improved performance levels - thus my comments re Murray are relevant.
No, I was replying to Johnny RoastBeef's post - he said "A cynic might say he has raised his game now the club has signed some competition for his position." and I simply said "I understand that competition for places is good, but let's not overdo it eh". Gross performed much better yesterday, which is down to several factors, not least being that the whole team was playing well.

I think continued competition over the season keeps players having to give that little bit extra to try and keep their place. I reject the idea that Gross hasn't been trying at all and that suddenly he's decided to try because we've brought competition in.

Plenty have commented that Knocky is trying too hard, so trying harder can go against a player sometimes. And how come people like Ronaldo and Messi (apply to any top player) keep playing well when they're clearly not having to fight for their place?

This and Jurgen can play as a deep lying forward, winger or out and out striker. He’s also resumed full training and is near full fitness.
He only started training on Thursday, I doubt he's near full fitness. I doubt he'll start next weekend, it's possible he'll get a few minutes from the bench.
Sam, well, something is most certainly up with him this season.
Well he was injured for most of it, but he's fit now. Plenty have wondered why he hasn't been given more of a chance, but I guess Chris thinks Gross is capable of

This and Leo being back, well I see an undoubted improvement in Murray’s general willingness and effort.
Must be contract negotiation time, that's what's always been given as the reason for Glenn pulling his finger out.

Gross has been generally poor for weeks and then this, this following the ‘unrelated’ news that Jurgen is near match fitness... unrelated my arse.
Right, so you think the entire team has performed consistently over the last several weeks, except for Gross? Are you even thinking about what you're writing? The whole team performed better yesterday, because player performances are often linked to each other. Gross played a perfect ball for the opening goal, but in recent weeks how often has there been a striker in a position for him to play that ball? We attacked in numbers yesterday, we had 21 shots - obviously Gross is going to have a better chance to perform to his potential when we attack like that.

You also said people who believe the new signings have improved the first XI performances were idiots!
No I didn't. Try and quote me on that. Oh look, you can't :rolleyes:

I do think that you're an idiot if you think Gross's improved performance was entirely down to our January signings though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION], I am going to call you the queen of quotes I think. :wink:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Not at all, I'm not cutting anything out, just making it clear which comments I'm replying to.
No, I was replying to Johnny RoastBeef's post - he said "A cynic might say he has raised his game now the club has signed some competition for his position." and I simply said "I understand that competition for places is good, but let's not overdo it eh". Gross performed much better yesterday, which is down to several factors, not least being that the whole team was playing well.

I think continued competition over the season keeps players having to give that little bit extra to try and keep their place. I reject the idea that Gross hasn't been trying at all and that suddenly he's decided to try because we've brought competition in.

Plenty have commented that Knocky is trying too hard, so trying harder can go against a player sometimes. And how come people like Ronaldo and Messi (apply to any top player) keep playing well when they're clearly not having to fight for their place?

He only started training on Thursday, I doubt he's near full fitness. I doubt he'll start next weekend, it's possible he'll get a few minutes from the bench.
Well he was injured for most of it, but he's fit now. Plenty have wondered why he hasn't been given more of a chance, but I guess Chris thinks Gross is capable of

Must be contract negotiation time, that's what's always been given as the reason for Glenn pulling his finger out.

Right, so you think the entire team has performed consistently over the last several weeks, except for Gross? Are you even thinking about what you're writing? The whole team performed better yesterday, because player performances are often linked to each other. Gross played a perfect ball for the opening goal, but in recent weeks how often has there been a striker in a position for him to play that ball? We attacked in numbers yesterday, we had 21 shots - obviously Gross is going to have a better chance to perform to his potential when we attack like that.

No I didn't. Try and quote me on that. Oh look, you can't :rolleyes:

I do think that you're an idiot if you think Gross's improved performance was entirely down to our January signings though.

This is hilarious!

Where did I say all the team had performed well with the exception of Gross - I bloody didn’t, I could have said no one has produced the goods and Gross too has been mostly dross... I felt it was implicit really.

You also altered the original post to say that only an idiot would suggest the competition correlation - it’s at the top of your original ridiculous tirade.

You’re wrong on this Trigger, dead wrong. Yet you continue to selectively quote and then misinterpret nearly everything i’m actually saying.

Jurgen will most likely only make the bench yes, but his presence is forcing better performances from the players he COULD replace.

Leo too.

Sorry, but your continuous denial of the obvious and the undisputed benefit improved competition has within a football squad defies all sensible logic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He hasn't been. His performances have been pretty consistent, he created chances against Bournemouth and Chelsea, yesterday I didn't think he was that different to how he's been in other games, especially at home, only yesterday the team collectively played a lot better. 5 goals and 6 assists, had we had better finishers, that assist stat should be in double figures. He seems completely professional in his approach, but what we got yesterday is what he's been producing for weeks, only yesterday, chances were converted. Seems you are trying to rewrite history to suit your theory.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He hasn't been. His performances have been pretty consistent, he created chances against Bournemouth and Chelsea, yesterday I didn't think he was that different to how he's been in other games, especially at home, only yesterday the team collectively played a lot better. 5 goals and 6 assists, had we had better finishers, that assist stat should be in double figures. He seems completely professional in his approach, but what we got yesterday is what he's been producing for weeks, only yesterday, chances were converted. Seems you are trying to rewrite history to suit your theory.

Re write history?!? WTF?!?

Yes - the whole team have recently been poor. Gross has looked out on his feet, yet i’m re-writing history by claiming things have gone up a gear as Locadia has neared fitness and Leo has re-appeared.

I give up.

Obviously our new signings have had zero impact on those who’ve recently under performed. Obviously.

Sweet Jesus.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Re write history?!? WTF?!?

Yes the whole team have recently been poor. Gross has looked out on his feet, yet i’m Rewriting history by claiming things have gone up a gear as Locadia has neared fitness and Leo has re-appeared.

I give up.

Obviously our new signings have had zero impact on those who’ve recently under performed. Obviously.

Sweet Jesus.

I would.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is hilarious!
:shrug:

Where did I say all the team had performed well with the exception of Gross - I bloody didn’t, I could have said no one has produced the goods and Gross too has been mostly dross... I felt it was implicit really.
So if you think no one has produced the goods in other recent games, and presumably you think just about all of them produced the goods on Saturday, what is the reason you think they all upped their game? Gross and Murray because of new competition for their places, but what about everyone else?

You also altered the original post to say that only an idiot would suggest the competition correlation
I altered one post about Gross (not about anyone else) and did so slightly as a piss take, as I reject the idea that everything in Gross's improved performance was down to new competition. Even in the same post I said that competition for places was good, but let's not overdo it, so I recognise that competition can help a bit with performances, but it wouldn't be the entire reason for Gross's good game.

That is hugely different from what you claim I said:
"You also said people who believe the new signings have improved the first XI performances were idiots!"

You’re wrong on this Trigger, dead wrong. Yet you continue to selectively quote and then misinterpret nearly everything i’m actually saying.
I'm clearly not wrong. I've not changed the meaning of anything with selective quotes, I've just quoted things you've said and got wrong.

Sorry, but your continuous denial of the obvious and the undisputed benefit improved competition has within a football squad defies all sensible logic.
You wouldn't recognise sensible logic if it slapped you in the face.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
:shrug:

So if you think no one has produced the goods in other recent games, and presumably you think just about all of them produced the goods on Saturday, what is the reason you think they all upped their game? Gross and Murray because of new competition for their places, but what about everyone else?

I altered one post about Gross (not about anyone else) and did so slightly as a piss take, as I reject the idea that everything in Gross's improved performance was down to new competition. Even in the same post I said that competition for places was good, but let's not overdo it, so I recognise that competition can help a bit with performances, but it wouldn't be the entire reason for Gross's good game.

That is hugely different from what you claim I said:
"You also said people who believe the new signings have improved the first XI performances were idiots!"

I'm clearly not wrong. I've not changed the meaning of anything with selective quotes, I've just quoted things you've said and got wrong.

You wouldn't recognise sensible logic if it slapped you in the face.

Heh heh.

O k a y.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here