Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool Fc attempt to sue fan for £150,000 in relation to comments made ....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

I think you will also find we have removed a few of the more salacious comments involving TK and OG, and we were on red alert during the Gus dismissal case, with a lot of material pre-dismissal removed, as it was made clear to us that both parties to the case were monitoring NSC.
It was made clear to me at the time, with a warning to the effect that the Board of Directors wouldn't tolerate a repetition, that it was unacceptable to the Club to claim on NSC that Gus Poyet' s departure was connected with a fall-out between him and Paul Barber.

My view is (and still is) that the Club were out of order in putting pressure on me not to repeat the allegation that I was making at the time - which, incidentally, has subsequently been corroborated by a number of convincing sources.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
So when we sing at a Ref/Manager " you don't know what you're doing" We are all potentially in danger of being sued?

Should we sing "in our opinion it appears you do not have the requisite skill set to be refereeing/managing at this level due to the number of perceived errors that you have made today, although we reserve the right to amend our opinion at a later date if it appears we are incorrect, and we suggest you attend some form of additional training in order to give you the additional knowledge you require to carry out your role. Allegedly"

By the same token, when opposition fans sing "your just a town full of fa**ots".... the Brighton tourist board can sue, after all we are now a city!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Details here: http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=2045406

Whilst not having in-depth knowledge of the specific situation going on at Blackpool, something like this has been coming for a while now, which is why I (and the moderating team) try to ensure NSCers stay on the right side of possible libel litigation. That we then get accused of censorship is somewhat frustrating.

No need to feel frustrated, the moderating on this board works effectively. And is why NSC is so popular, especially with those nice chaps from South London (better safe than sorry).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So when we sing at a Ref/Manager " you don't know what you're doing" We are all potentially in danger of being sued?

Should we sing "in our opinion it appears you do not have the requisite skill set to be refereeing/managing at this level due to the number of perceived errors that you have made today, although we reserve the right to amend our opinion at a later date if it appears we are incorrect, and we suggest you attend some form of additional training in order to give you the additional knowledge you require to carry out your role. Allegedly"

By the same token, when opposition fans sing "your just a town full of fa**ots".... the Brighton tourist board can sue, after all we are now a city!!

:lol:

I think your alternative chant is sufficiently safe to not need the "allegedly" at the end :wink:

It's quite catchy - what's the tune?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Seems to be one of those areas that gets twisted into "health and safety craziness" and "political correctness gone mad" territory.

The defamation laws are there to protect people from false allegations, not opinions they may disagree with. And in practice it's so difficult, expensive and unpredictable to sue for libel/slander that cases are few and far between.

If anyone feels that their honest opinions and watertight insider information are being suppressed by Bozza, Rupert Murdoch, the BBC or the Worthing Herald, it takes about five minutes to start a blog and Twitter account. You can air your views there and take your chances.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I don't think Blackpool, owned by an unusual dynasty who paid themselves a fortune (£11 million) for their one season in the PL, are anything like the Albion though.

Not the same, no. However, the culture indicated by preemptive threats of litigation by the club for what might be posted in the future is not too far removed from that displayed by Blackpool in this case in my opinion.

Do you accept (what I consider to be) such bullying behaviour and keep silent in the hope/faith that it will stop there or do you cry foul and challenge why there is such paranoia and get a better approach?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
:lol:

I think your alternative chant is sufficiently safe to not need the "allegedly" at the end :wink:

It's quite catchy - what's the tune?

I reckon we could make it fit into Blur - Parklife

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not the same, no. However, the culture indicated by preemptive threats of litigation by the club for what might be posted in the future is not too far removed from that displayed by Blackpool in this case in my opinion.

Do you accept (what I consider to be) such bullying behaviour and keep silent in the hope/faith that it will stop there or do you cry foul and challenge why there is such paranoia and get a better approach?

In an ideal world I would let people post what they want and take the consequences. However, as it is likely the first person to receive a writ in this scenario is likely to be [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], then it's his call and as mods we will back him. As someone who also runs an Albion forum, I took exactly the same approach in relation to comments made (although we did allow people to call Poyet a JEC) as it's not worth the grief, sleepless nights and all round hassle.

FWIW I though the club handled the Poyet dismissal issue in a very shabby manner, especially the Sunday night announcement when he was on BBC2. How much of the announcements made were the idea of Paul Barber, Tony Bloom or the club legal advisors I have no idea though. I also think Poyet's post Palace defeat whining was a bit pathetic, although, after recent events, the 'hitting the ceiling' comment was perhaps prophetic rather than pathetic.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
In an ideal world I would let people post what they want and take the consequences. However, as it is likely the first person to receive a writ in this scenario is likely to be [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], then it's his call and as mods we will back him. As someone who also runs an Albion forum, I took exactly the same approach in relation to comments made (although we did allow people to call Poyet a JEC) as it's not worth the grief, sleepless nights and all round hassle.

FWIW I though the club handled the Poyet dismissal issue in a very shabby manner, especially the Sunday night announcement when he was on BBC2. How much of the announcements made were the idea of Paul Barber, Tony Bloom or the club legal advisors I have no idea though. I also think Poyet's post Palace defeat whining was a bit pathetic, although, after recent events, the 'hitting the ceiling' comment was perhaps prophetic rather than pathetic.

The way that the forum is moderated is a function of the culture of the football club. I'm really not criticising how the forum is moderated and agree that Bozza needs to protect himself from what people on this forum might say. However, it is worrying that this now seems to be a key concern, which is down the the club's behaviour/attitude/culture I believe. BAHFC's preemptive threat ably examples this attitude in my opinion.

If the club behaves in what I consider to be a sensible way where people are left to have their little rants on a limited circulation forum with the trust that other posters will discuss/defend/argue with what they don't agree with then there would be much less concern/attention over the legal interpretation of posts and less focus on moderators. The posts made would also die a death very quickly and such discussions as we're having here wouldn't exist.

I feel that the clubs approach has led to a greater focus on litigious interpretation and this makes me very very uneasy in terms of the overall culture/attitude of BHAFC. It suggests that there is something to hide and I wouldn't have felt that otherwise. Put simply, I no longer trust what comes out of the club and that really disappoints me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No need to feel frustrated, the moderating on this board works effectively. And is why NSC is so popular, especially with those nice chaps from South London (better safe than sorry).
Talking about South London, it's always seemed that the concept of libel has never really seemed to matter on certain other message boards.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The way that the forum is moderated is a function of the culture of the football club. I'm really not criticising how the forum is moderated and agree that Bozza needs to protect himself from what people on this forum might say. However, it is worrying that this now seems to be a key concern, which is down the the club's behaviour/attitude/culture I believe. BAHFC's preemptive threat ably examples this attitude in my opinion.

If the club behaves in what I consider to be a sensible way where people are left to have their little rants on a limited circulation forum with the trust that other posters will discuss/defend/argue with what they don't agree with then there would be much less concern/attention over the legal interpretation of posts and less focus on moderators. The posts made would also die a death very quickly and such discussions as we're having here wouldn't exist.

I feel that the clubs approach has led to a greater focus on litigious interpretation and this makes me very very uneasy in terms of the overall culture/attitude of BHAFC. It suggests that there is something to hide and I wouldn't have felt that otherwise. Put simply, I no longer trust what comes out of the club and that really disappoints me.

You make an interesting point, with some merit. It's not a viewpoint I particularly share though, since the only thing I'm personally aware of that PB took exception to was being called a liar. While I doubt very much that I would have reacted in quite the same way he did, I do think that it's not an unreasonable stance to adopt. A warning to NSC users not to post definitively defamatory statements may also have had the effect of preventing worse accusations being made by other posters.

I'm not sure that I agree that posts would have effectively become self-moderating over time either - there are plenty of examples of posters being repeat offenders of the [NSC] board's rules concerning, inter alia, racism, homophobia, bullying of other users, abuse and swearing; why then would people self-moderate (or be moderated by the community at large) concerning defamation?

Since [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has commented on how Gus' departure was handled, I might as well post my view too, which is that I think the club handled it very well, with the exception of announcing his departure when he was on TV, which was shambolic. PB has said that they simply didn't know that he was. I'm happy to take that at face value, but then someone cocked up, because they should have known. So, EP says he thinks it was shabby, especially the TV moment; I say it was pretty good, except for the TV moment - a difference in perspective. I make this post to demonstrate again that the mods are not a homogenous borg - we all have differences of opinions on just about every topic, I expect. Oh, other than Sami had to go. Obviously.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You make an interesting point, with some merit. It's not a viewpoint I particularly share though, since the only thing I'm personally aware of that PB took exception to was being called a liar. While I doubt very much that I would have reacted in quite the same way he did, I do think that it's not an unreasonable stance to adopt. A warning to NSC users not to post definitively defamatory statements may also have had the effect of preventing worse accusations being made by other posters.

I'm not sure that I agree that posts would have effectively become self-moderating over time either - there are plenty of examples of posters being repeat offenders of the [NSC] board's rules concerning, inter alia, racism, homophobia, bullying of other users, abuse and swearing; why then would people self-moderate (or be moderated by the community at large) concerning defamation?

Since [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has commented on how Gus' departure was handled, I might as well post my view too, which is that I think the club handled it very well, with the exception of announcing his departure when he was on TV, which was shambolic. PB has said that they simply didn't know that he was. I'm happy to take that at face value, but then someone cocked up, because they should have known. So, EP says he thinks it was shabby, especially the TV moment; I say it was pretty good, except for the TV moment - a difference in perspective. I make this post to demonstrate again that the mods are not a homogenous borg - we all have differences of opinions on just about every topic, I expect. Oh, other than Sami had to go. Obviously.

Sami IN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here