Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police office stabbed and assailant shot outside Parliament, Parliament in lockdown

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Where did I say 'every'? Anyway, this is why I don't usually bother getting into discussions on religion, personally believing that it's all a crock of shit. But each to their own. I know some really nice Christians and some equally nice Muslims. No problem with people believing whatever they want as long as they respect everyone's right to be different, as I try to.

Agree with this. Personally, I think the crucial point is to respect an individual as an individual, and to respect their right to believe whatever they want, however stupid I might find the belief.

However, I don't think the requirement to respect an individual as a person, goes further than that and requires me to respect their belief system. I find the concept of homeopathy pretty ridiculous and don't respect it as a supposed branch of medicine, but I have no disrespect for practitioners and users of homeopathy as individuals
Similarly I respect people of all faiths and none, and people of all races, but I do not respect pretty much any religions (because of their antiscientific, anti-rational belief systems), and my disrespect for those religions is greater, the more inflexible and proselytising their doctrine is, and the more they want to impose it on non-believers. So I have pretty much zero respect for Islam in most of its forms, and variable degrees of respect for other religions (in the Christian world, Quakers generally cause me fewer difficulties than born-again evangelists of the type found in the American mid-west, for example; and some varieties of Buddhism seem pretty harmless, if a bit flakey).

And, although I also tick most of the other 'lefty', 'liberal', 'PC' boxes, I also have no problem with identifying myself as Islamophobic in the strict sense of the word (i.e. phobia meaning 'fear'), as I confess I am pretty scared of Islam as an irrational, doctrinal belief system, which is capable of being used to justify the kinds of act seen on the streets of London yesterday, as well as all of the other stuff which is oppressive of women, gays etc..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
3e65e0ada82cd508ad7226f0e0346e7e.jpg

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It probably didn't register in Southhampton, or wherever they produce our local paper now :ffsparr:

It's up there now.....

"An address in Brighton has been searched as part of a series of anti-terror raids by police across the country.

Police officers and intelligence agencies have mounted a massive investigation to piece together the movements in the lead-up to the attack on Westminster yesterday.

It included a raid on an undisclosed location in Brighton as well as searches carried out at three addresses in Birmingham and one each in east London, Carmarthenshire and south east London.

No arrests were made in the city, a police spokesman confirmed.

Sussex Police today said there was no reason to believe there was ‘any specific threat to community safety’ in the county.

Assistant Chief Constable Laurence Taylor, of Sussex Police, said: "In light of yesterday's event the threat level hasn't changed, it has remained severe since 2014. There is no current evidence of any specific threat to community safety in Sussex and policing across the country continues to operate as usual.

"We urge the public to remain alert but not alarmed - our policing tactics and security measures are constantly reviewed and we, along with our partners, are working around the clock to keep our cities as safe. If you see anything suspicious then let us know using the Anti terrorist hotline 0800 789 321 or 999 in an emergency.

"Acts of terrorism and hate crimes are committed by a small minority of people and are not representative of the public. This is a time for us all to work closely together and unite against those who seek, through violence and extremism, to intimidate or cause fear."

Have you noticed an increased police activity in your area? Call The Argus newsdesk on 01273 021370 or email news@theargus.co.uk"

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1517...ficers_carry_out_search_on_Brighton_property/

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It's up there now.....

"An address in Brighton has been searched as part of a series of anti-terror raids by police across the country.

Police officers and intelligence agencies have mounted a massive investigation to piece together the movements in the lead-up to the attack on Westminster yesterday.

It included a raid on an undisclosed location in Brighton as well as searches carried out at three addresses in Birmingham and one each in east London, Carmarthenshire and south east London.

No arrests were made in the city, a police spokesman confirmed.

Sussex Police today said there was no reason to believe there was ‘any specific threat to community safety’ in the county.

Assistant Chief Constable Laurence Taylor, of Sussex Police, said: "In light of yesterday's event the threat level hasn't changed, it has remained severe since 2014. There is no current evidence of any specific threat to community safety in Sussex and policing across the country continues to operate as usual.

"We urge the public to remain alert but not alarmed - our policing tactics and security measures are constantly reviewed and we, along with our partners, are working around the clock to keep our cities as safe. If you see anything suspicious then let us know using the Anti terrorist hotline 0800 789 321 or 999 in an emergency.

"Acts of terrorism and hate crimes are committed by a small minority of people and are not representative of the public. This is a time for us all to work closely together and unite against those who seek, through violence and extremism, to intimidate or cause fear."

Have you noticed an increased police activity in your area? Call The Argus newsdesk on 01273 021370 or email news@theargus.co.uk"

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1517...ficers_carry_out_search_on_Brighton_property/

Better late than never

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A 75-year-old man has become the fifth person to die following the attacks in Westminster, Metropolitan Police say

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here