Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You need to go back on this thread again because by my reckoning we have done this........was the perpetrator German etc.?

This is not about random bike thefts etc.?

Will this happen again etc.?

Can we stop violent people coming into the country etc?

Common denominator........you don't want to place any controls on migration flows into the UK and I do.......nothing is being dodged, I am just saving us another spin round on the carousel. We disagree......and always will do.

Surely it would be easier to just name one incident that this crime was connected to, rather than list the guff you have posted previously whilst dodging the question.
Or maybe just admit you made an assumption that was incorrect, and this was an isolated incident?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Which the bigwigs at Toyota clearly considered before making the investment, their confidence concerning future trade arrangements and their business model must be high.

Not a big risk for them, the investment is in machinery to modernise, we are paying for training the workforce, if they end up closing the plant in a couple of years they can ship the machinery to France.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not a big risk for them, the investment is in machinery to modernise, we are paying for training the workforce, if they end up closing the plant in a couple of years they can ship the machinery to France.

I hope they are not considering flying any components to France.......someone should warn them now.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

There are more EU firms using the MiFID passport to access the UK financial services than there are UK firms operating the other way.

On this basis, and as larus, has previously schooled you, Brexit poses a far greater problem for the EU than it does for the UK.

Sadiq Khan routinely damped his bed before Brexit warning how the city of London would be damaged, and the bit in the article you attached in your post that is key is this bit......

"Mr Khan, who backed Remain the referendum campaign last year, acknowledged that an immediate flight of jobs from London after the Brexit vote had not materialised."

Thanks for sharing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There are more EU firms using the MiFID passport to access the UK financial services than there are UK firms operating the other way.

Financial services firms from 27 countries compared to financial services firms from 1 country.

Of course there are more in terms of numbers. Its no different to saying more red cars are involved in accidents without saying than are more red card on the road than any other colour.

Totally meaningless.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

On this basis, and as larus, has previously schooled you, Brexit poses a far greater problem for the EU than it does for the UK.

Sadiq Khan routinely damped his bed before Brexit warning how the city of London would be damaged, and the bit in the article you attached in your post that is key is this bit......

"Mr Khan, who backed Remain the referendum campaign last year, acknowledged that an immediate flight of jobs from London after the Brexit vote had not materialised."

Thanks for sharing.

Halfwit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You've not though this through have you...........show Mum and Dad when you have finished your weet-a-bix.

Out of interest, why have you hyphenated Weetabix?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
re MiFID, nearly a trillion euros worth of euro denominated contracts are traded in London. you could move that all to EU, if you can decide where. we already see at least five countries eyeing up the trade, if you split it it will not work efficiently (largely due to trading needing proximity to be most economical), so the cost of trading in Euros will go up. thats billions of increased costs borne by Europeans, their governments, businesses, pensions etc. also, all existing contracts would have to be re-written to the new country (or countries) local law, which may not be as suitable for many of the contracts. so, EU can cut off its nose or it can come to a sensible accommodation to protect its own interests.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
re MiFID, nearly a trillion euros worth of euro denominated contracts are traded in London. you could move that all to EU, if you can decide where. we already see at least five countries eyeing up the trade, if you split it it will not work efficiently (largely due to trading needing proximity to be most economical), so the cost of trading in Euros will go up. thats billions of increased costs borne by Europeans, their governments, businesses, pensions etc. also, all existing contracts would have to be re-written to the new country (or countries) local law, which may not be as suitable for many of the contracts. so, EU can cut off its nose or it can come to a sensible accommodation to protect its own interests.

So just as an example the move was only to Frankfurt then after initial moving costs the operation is still as efficient so your suggestion of much higher costs is not valid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So just as an example the move was only to Frankfurt then after initial moving costs the operation is still as efficient so your suggestion of much higher costs is not valid.

agree, if the EU can agree that Frankfurt will dominate all finance, and all trading moves there (including forex), they would certainly invalidate the cost issue. questions are will the other members allow such a power grab, and do the traders and businesses want to move to Frankfurt. (described to me recently, by a German, as like Croydon without the character)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
They must be driving their partners mad with their moaning. I bet their other half's must be telling them to a put sock in it, doom and gloom.

a1d46a7720d3a8a3d2112925710552df.jpg

Makes you wonder .. :whistle:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
agree, if the EU can agree that Frankfurt will dominate all finance, and all trading moves there (including forex), they would certainly invalidate the cost issue. questions are will the other members allow such a power grab, and do the traders and businesses want to move to Frankfurt. (described to me recently, by a German, as like Croydon without the character)

Croydon has character?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
a1d46a7720d3a8a3d2112925710552df.jpg

Makes you wonder .. :whistle:

Well,they keep on saying we should stop calling them remoaners,losers,bed-wetters,etc..I think Dementors has a real ring to it,and describes most of them to a T.:lol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well,they keep on saying we should stop calling them remoaners,losers,bed-wetters,etc..I think Dementors has a real ring to it,and describes most of them to a T.:lol:

Soulless and evil may be a bit strong. Probably best stick with the remoaners tag.

Seriously though I don't think wallowing in negativity is good for people's mental health. It would be a terrible waste of time and energy if it turned out all their doomongering proves as innacurate as the post vote project fear predictions.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
EU can cut off its nose or it can come to a sensible accommodation to protect its own interests.

This is my concern though. People on here point out what a rancid organisation The EU is that has failed us all and how happy they are to be free of it and all the bad things it's done etc. Why post Brexit all of a sudden, will it come to a sensible, mutual arrangement with us, in a reasonable timescale to negate further uncertainties for ourselves and them, when 38 national and regional parliaments with very differing interests and relations will have to agree to it all, and there's no precedence to compare all this too?

I am bemused as peoples optimism at future relations with The EU here, when they slate it and laugh at Cameron for attempting to get a 'deal' that he was never going to get, when it would have been in The EU's interest for us to never left in the first place. Now there's going to be a mass outbreak of common sense. I'm not so sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here