Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Grown men were crying - the world reacts to Barca's crazy win"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
absolute bullet and couldn't have been more in the corner, probably thought it was going out. do you really think it would've been planned that he would hit the most incredibly accurate free kick in the 88th minute of a match, to stage a still incredibly unlikely comeback?

Anyone who thinks that was fixed really is off their nut.

I'm not saying it wasn't well struck, but the keeper was on the same side as the goal, and pretty much stood and watched it whistle past his right ear.

It was late last night and I'd had beer, so maybe I'm not doing it justice, but I do recall thinking 'keeper didn't make much of an effort there'.

The 2nd pen, as [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says, was genuinely farcical. As it happens I don't think the game was "fixed" per-sé, but some of the decisions certainly gave them a chance of pulling it off.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Funniest thing about last night, Talk Sport.
Flicked over to Man City v Stoke. 0:0 bore. SSN and saw the 4:5 score. 5Live were at City but shouting about the Barca game with minutes to spare.
Tuned to Talk Sport to hear two guys trying to convince the world they were in the Camp Nou, patheticly funny.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I changed from Sky to Virgin last week and completely forgot I had BT Sport.

I sat through that turgid Man City-Stoke nil-nil blistfully unaware of what was going on a couple of channels away

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I changed from Sky to Virgin last week and completely forgot I had BT Sport.

I sat through that turgid Man City-Stoke nil-nil blistfully unaware of what was going on a couple of channels away
Fail

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
absolute bullet and couldn't have been more in the corner, probably thought it was going out. do you really think it would've been planned that he would hit the most incredibly accurate free kick in the 88th minute of a match, to stage a still incredibly unlikely comeback?

Anyone who thinks that was fixed really is off their nut.

An 'absolute bullet'... really?

He lofted it over the wall and wasn't even right in the corner, the keeper appeared to stall in his motion towards it as his gloves were suddenly made of lead.

Not implying anything 'staged' about it but if that free kick isn't savable then we should do without goalkeepers altogether. Neuer would have probably shifted his feet to the right and caught it, then proceeded to arm-catapult it 60 yards up the pitch. An area PSG didn't manage to enter too often.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
An 'absolute bullet'... really?

He lofted it over the wall and wasn't even right in the corner, the keeper appeared to stall in his motion towards it as his gloves were suddenly made of lead.

Not implying anything 'staged' about it but if that free kick isn't savable then we should do without goalkeepers altogether. Neuer would have probably shifted his feet to the right and caught it, then proceeded to arm-catapult it 60 yards up the pitch. An area PSG didn't manage to enter too often.

er.... have another look at it.

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 16.04.52.png

https://streamable.com/jg5l9

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm not saying it wasn't well struck, but the keeper was on the same side as the goal, and pretty much stood and watched it whistle past his right ear.

It was late last night and I'd had beer, so maybe I'm not doing it justice, but I do recall thinking 'keeper didn't make much of an effort there'.

The 2nd pen, as [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says, was genuinely farcical. As it happens I don't think the game was "fixed" per-sé, but some of the decisions certainly gave them a chance of pulling it off.

It wasn't on the keepers side, it went over the wall

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
and yet despite the non-attempt at saving the free-kick and the most obvious non-penalty awarded as a penalty, the worst of the lot was the winner where PSG, in the fifth minute of injury time, decided to let three people be at the back of the box unmarked and the defenders stood around totally still as a cross came in and four Barca players ran on to it. I kind of hope it was staged or that would be the worst defending I have seen for some time from any team, let alone one purporting to be one of the best teams in the world

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
You linked me a video where they rip the GK a new one. Will concede it's in the corner at his near post, but a bullet it is most certainly not.

If you think he was saving that you are mad, it came up and down (over the wall and NOT on the keepers side) and was as far in the corner as it could be without touching the post/crossbar. FWIW I think the commentary is very unfair, it's on his wall's side and bang in the corner. NO chance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It wasn't on the keepers side, it went over the wall

He's moved his feet the right way and followed that ball all the way across his goal from the second it was struck, but then not even raised his hands in an attempt to save it. He's literally watched it go past him.

I'm actually wondering now whether he thought it was going wide, such was the lack of effort to get there. Put it this way, if that was Stockwell letting it go past him like that, I'd have been disappointed he didn't even TRY

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really hate seeing kids wearing Barca tops, just reminds me how much football is eating itself. Also they look far too much like CPFC2010 from a distance

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you think he was saving that you are mad, it came up and down (over the wall and NOT on the keepers side) and was as far in the corner as it could be without touching the post/crossbar. FWIW I think the commentary is very unfair, it's on his wall's side and bang in the corner. NO chance.

HE might not be saving that, but that's kind of the point isn't it? Surely you are not suggesting that the free kick is unsavable by anybody?

I would refer you to football history where free kicks, with heavier balls, struck at higher velocity, have been saved when destined for the top corner.

This bloke didn't even raise his hands, lest make an attempt to actually dive.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
and yet despite the non-attempt at saving the free-kick and the most obvious non-penalty awarded as a penalty, the worst of the lot was the winner where PSG, in the fifth minute of injury time, decided to let three people be at the back of the box unmarked and the defenders stood around totally still as a cross came in and four Barca players ran on to it. I kind of hope it was staged or that would be the worst defending I have seen for some time from any team, let alone one purporting to be one of the best teams in the world

PSG imo are the kind of team that are used to having 60% + posession and aren't very well drilled at defending deep. Arsenal are another team that completely capitulate under any kind of pressure what so ever.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
But not a rugby tackle.

It was clear obstruction, but is obstruction in the box always penalised with a penalty kick? I genuinely don't know.

Drop the 'obstruction' nonsense. He deliberately propelled himself into Suarez's legs. Are you on a wind up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here