Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket sledging

Jul 7, 2003
It happens in football as well. I used to enjoy nothing better on a Sunday morning than trying to wind up the forward I was marking. Older players would just take the p!ss back and we would then enjoy the game but some of the youngsters would bite and that made it great fun.

I spent one Sunday winding up some young forward that he only had one foot. He seemed determined to prove me wrong so kept shooting with his wrong foot and every shot was either weak or way wide. He got so wound up he got himself sent off after trying to punch me when I (fairly) won a tackle against him early in the second half.

Doesn't always work in your favour though. A team-mate of mine saw some young girls by the side of the pitch and realised they were with the bloke he was marking. When the ball went out for throw in near them he said to the opposition player "Is that your girlfriend there?". The bloke confirmed it was to which my team-mate responded "She's F***ing Ugly". The bloke punched him and the ref sent them both off.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Seems like the Aussies feature in a lot of these cases. Why does that not surprise me?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
waugh to Ranatunga...." why you so fat mate...?? look at the state of ya.."
in reply " cos every time i shag your wife she gives me a biscuit"..!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A bit of banter is one thing, but it just seems like a sign of the times now to escalate everything, I personally hate it as it is bringing a violence into a game that should thrive on it's traditional values, what other sport stops for a tea.
If you have to resort to this, to destabilise a player and 'enhance' your skills then it says a lot about your abilities.
Looks like it is becoming a strategy in the game plan now, which is rediculous and shameful, spoiling the game for us real supporters.
The Aussies seem to be particularly vicious in this department and view it as a plus.
I think it should be banned or at least carded, like in football when it oversteps the mark, as the umpires can obviously hear what is being said.
I comment on this when watching the game at the club and get accused by Aussie supporters for being soft or whinging; twats, obvious have no idea how the sport should be conducted and played, I think Bradman would have put a stop to it had it happened in his time.
You don't see Usain Bolt looking over the opposition and verbally slating their chances before a race do you, there would be outcry if he did, just shows lack of respect and how basic standards have been allowed to slip.
On a personal note, I wish KP would just f@@k off, as he brings nothing to the commentary and always tries to stir up something,
He was born a d@@k and always will be, witnessing his innings' watching Ashes tests here just served to confirmed it, tool.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Why dont they broadcast the sledging . I think it would be interesting.

All sports should be miked up. Got to be better than listening to some of the awful commentators currently nicking a living.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A bit of banter is one thing, but it just seems like a sign of the times now to escalate everything, I personally hate it as it is bringing a violence into a game that should thrive on it's traditional values, what other sport stops for a tea.
If you have to resort to this, to destabilise a player and 'enhance' your skills then it says a lot about your abilities.
Looks like it is becoming a strategy in the game plan now, which is rediculous and shameful, spoiling the game for us real supporters.
The Aussies seem to be particularly vicious in this department and view it as a plus.
I think it should be banned or at least carded, like in football when it oversteps the mark, as the umpires can obviously hear what is being said.
I comment on this when watching the game at the club and get accused by Aussie supporters for being soft or whinging; twats, obvious have no idea how the sport should be conducted and played, I think Bradman would have put a stop to it had it happened in his time.
You don't see Usain Bolt looking over the opposition and verbally slating their chances before a race do you, there would be outcry if he did, just shows lack of respect and how basic standards have been allowed to slip.
On a personal note, I wish KP would just f@@k off, as he brings nothing to the commentary and always tries to stir up something,
He was born a d@@k and always will be, witnessing his innings' watching Ashes tests here just served to confirmed it, tool.

It’s pretty evident now even in local league cricket - it’s depressing. Saw a few examples last season here in Sussex, and that’s playing at a low standard. Worst was probably a 14 year old being given a ‘send off’ by a fielder when he was dismissed cheaply.......completely unnecessary.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As someone said, not just cricket ...

The art of putting someone off. In football, we've all joined in with dishing out a bit of grief at the opposition or the officials, here's just a few I recall:

Aimed at the lino or ref after an unfavourable decision:
"You don't know what you're doing" - repeat
"Wanker", Wanker" - repeat
"Who's the bas1ard in the black?"

Or at a keeper after a fumble:
"Dodgy keeper, dodgy keeper" - repeat
Or as a keeper prepares to take a goal-kick:
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooh ! You're shit, ARRRRGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGG"

The best cricket sledges will distract the recipient player to a point where it negatively affects their play - doesn't always have to be rude / vulgar.
Freddie Flintoff said to Tino Best at Lords: "Mind the windows Tino" when Tino was only 5 runs short of being the first ever number 11 to score a 100 in test cricket - he was out next ball trying to smash Ashley Giles for SIX - job done ....

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Really not a fan of it and even less so when it started to creep into Saturday league cricket which I played for 25 years. Never mind the inane chatter which I sometimes thought backfired by motivating a batsman but my particular hate was bowlers who after getting someone out used to pose aggressively and point to the pavilion.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Never forget being sledged by a batsman after I bowled him out. He looked at me and said "That was a shit ball" to which our keeper responded "That was a shit shot mate"

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I got a little bit when I was playing and just telling them to shut the **** up usually worked.
That was back in the day though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here