Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Which is different in what way from what the UK government wanted in the first place?

Different in terms of rhetoric ('a Brexit for Britain') and different in terms of immigration rules. Also Norway transfers significant amounts of funding to the EU (per head not a great deal less than we do).
Other than that May as got exactly what she said she wanted!

I'm in favour of as soft a Brexit as can be managed, but there'll come a point where some (on both sides of the Brexit divide) will ask why we have gone through this ghastly, costly and credibility-sapping nonsense?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A real strong and stable female leader has waded into it now.

[tweet]937675437764960257[/tweet]

Krankie is as stupid as the clown on here that wouldn't admit that Turkey had a border with Syria.:lolol:
Come on then Nicci baby,where is Scotland's land border with the EU?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A rare foray into this thread for me, but the Norway option is looking like the more sesnsible option now that NI will be in convergence with EU Regulations, otherwise they will be cut off from the rest of the UK. I cannot see Unionists being happy with this deal at all as it basically strengthens ties with the Republic but weakens them with the UK mainland.

There were plenty of brexiteers during the campaign that voiced support for retaining membership of the single market and customs union I wonder if their voices may now be heard above the cut-off our nose to spite our face rabble currently making themselves heard.

It seems odd to me that a party that has wrapped itself in the Union flag has done the most to threaten it's survival. If different parts of the UK are thought to be getting preferential treatment as result of Brexit then the Union will once again be under threat. This a complete and utter shambles.

Good points,well made,but the customs borders with the island of Ireland will still be at the ports/airports as they are now.Got to try and stop the drugs/weapons/slaves coming in somewhere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
tariffs are covered by the Customs Union, not the Single Market. in a Single Market but outside the Custom union you can still apply tariff rates and into trade deals independently.

Single Market with tariffs is a contradiction in terms. There is only ONE market.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Where would you like me to start? I guess the customs union and single market are a good place to start? NI being inside is quite different to May’s regular statements the U.K. will not remain inside.

I love the way you just make shit up.

'Regulatory alignment' (which by the way is exactly where we are today so needs little or nothing to make it happen) is not the same as remaining inside the customs union and single market.

But you just carry on chuntering.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Single Market with tariffs is a contradiction in terms. There is only ONE market.

it may seem that way, but thats the case and single market and customs union are separate issues. hence why get separate billing.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I love the way you just make shit up.

'Regulatory alignment' (which by the way is exactly where we are today so needs little or nothing to make it happen) is not the same as remaining inside the customs union and single market.

But you just carry on chuntering.

If there's 'regulatory alignment', which is copying what they do, how can we do our own free trade deals and enjoy cheap, chlorinated chicken from The USA or non-passported beef from Botswana, if they're banned in The EU?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Ah well done - missing her point spectacularly I see.

Come on then clever clogs.What is her point,and where is Scotland's land border with the EU after we leave?Please try actually answering a question,and be the first of the moaners to do so.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Ah well done - missing her point spectacularly I see.

Come on then clever clogs.What is her point,and where is Scotland's land border with the EU after we leave?Please try actually answering a question,and be the first of the moaners to do so.You lot just snipe,but never add anything positive.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
NSC seems to have hiccups,but whilst here,a general question.Should payments to the EU after we leave come from the foreign aid budget,as we are giving to poorer countries?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If there's 'regulatory alignment', which is copying what they do, how can we do our own free trade deals and enjoy cheap, chlorinated chicken from The USA or non-passported beef from Botswana, if they're banned in The EU?

No idea... someone clever will work that out... maybe something like we can do what we like and only stuff that meets the regulatory alignment will cross the border?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
NSC seems to have hiccups,but whilst here,a general question.Should payments to the EU after we leave come from the foreign aid budget,as we are giving to poorer countries?

It can only go to developing countries - see Priti Patel getting into trouble for wanting to give it to Israel because she likes Israeli soldiers.

Jan 30, 2008
a few years down the line and you'll think what the **** was I blabbering on about
regards
DR

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Come on then clever clogs.What is her point,and where is Scotland's land border with the EU after we leave?Please try actually answering a question,and be the first of the moaners to do so.You lot just snipe,but never add anything positive.
Firstly, there is nothing positive to say about Brexit. That's why we don't have anything positive to say about it. It is a steaming pile of shite that is going to make us all poorer and takes us further from our nearest neighbours and trading partners.

Secondly, there is no land border with the EU - clearly. And Sturgeon knows that. And so does everyone else. You're the one who brought it up FFS, so why is that a question that needs answering? That is why you're being a bit thick IMO - everybody knows there is no land border there, so OBVIOUSLY the point being made is not conditional on there being one.

The reason there is going to be no border with the Republic of Ireland is nothing to do with it being a land border, and everything to do with ensuring the conditions of the Good Friday Agreement continue to be fulfilled. If the the border between the RoI and NI had been a sea border, we'd still need this sort of agreement in place.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Agree. I guess May will have to explain this one to the denizens of Cleethorpes and Stoke.

I don't know about Stoke but I can tell you that most of the people of Cleethorpes aren't interested in politics. Never have been. Well, just the once they were, but that wasn't real politics, it was that X-Factor thing last year.

(Now that Grimsby is demanding special concessions to ward off the effects of Brexit, and N Ireland is said today to be getting something similar and Khan wants London to be able to step out of the chaos, how long is the "U" bit of the UK going to survive?)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I don't know about Stoke but I can tell you that most of the people of Cleethorpes aren't interested in politics. Never have been. Well, just the once they were, but that wasn't real politics, it was that X-Factor thing last year.

(Now that Grimsby is demanding special concessions to ward off the effects of Brexit, and N Ireland is said today to be getting something similar and Khan wants London to be able to step out of the chaos, how long is the "U" bit of the UK going to survive?)

I was wondering if Kent might stay in the customs union, sorry, have 'regulatory alignment' as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here