Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AK off, Murphy on. WTF?

D

Deleted member 2719

What people would like is quite irrelevant. Securing the 3 points is the only important thing and the Manager, his decisions and the players achieved that

But AK was playing one of his better games defensively, he looked a bit confused and annoyed at first that he had to make way.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But AK was playing one of his better games defensively, he looked a bit confused and annoyed at first that he had to make way.

AGREED 100%

But he was nackered and a couple of times he was so tired he neglected some of the defensive duties. Knocky was great today

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Baffling thread. You know we won the game, right?

Yep - and ecstatic we did, as posted in two other threads. The decision at the time bemused me - hence the thread. It all worked out well for us, so that's great. However, if we wanted defence I'm surprised it wasn't Schelotto, and if attack, Izquierdo.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yep - and ecstatic we did, as posted in two other threads. The decision at the time bemused me - hence the thread. It all worked out well for us, so that's great. However, if we wanted defence I'm surprised it wasn't Schelotto, and if attack, Izquierdo.

How about a bit of both - Murphy?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Schelotto - too defensive. Izuqierdo - too attacking. Not to mention neither have played much football in this country and certainly not in the position we were in today. Murphy the right sort of balance. Realistically that sort of change was pretty much perfect for Murphy as he's somewhere between the two. It's about the only situation I could see him getting on the pitch.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So do we know that Izquierdo is ahead of Murphy in the pecking order...? It's not that obvious to me.

Which is, I guess, the heart of my question. He's our record signing, by some distance, and it's hard to see under what circumstances Chris will play him. Hopefully, it's something temporary (lack of match fitness? Taking time to adjust to the way CH wants him to play?), rather than something more fundamental (Ooops, he's not as good as we thought he was?). It's unusual for a club record signing to be sat on the bench...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Just before he was substituted, he'd twice kicked the ball into touch when attempting to pass to Bruno, and he was on a yellow.
He was tired and making mistakes.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We won though. We also have a £13+m Colombian winger on the bench though.

It's lovely and strange being an Albion fan these days.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Schelotto - too defensive. Izuqierdo - too attacking. Not to mention neither have played much football in this country and certainly not in the position we were in today. Murphy the right sort of balance. Realistically that sort of change was pretty much perfect for Murphy as he's somewhere between the two. It's about the only situation I could see him getting on the pitch.

Ok - I buy this. A jack of all trades substitution... fair enough. And, as noted, and accepted, it worked.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Its a Palace troll starting this thread.

It all worked out in the end, and I'm sure the OP is framing the question in that context. But don't you find it at least curious that our record signing is looked at as not enough of an all rounder to come on when we're a goal to the good? Especially when AK - not known for his defensive work, either, so could be considered a like for like replacement in a team that was doing quite well - was clearly tiring. I think it's unfair to label someone a palace troll for asking the question.

D

Deleted member 2719

If the game had ended 1-1 this board would have gone into meltdown.

Shelveys corner was so close to catching Ryan out, he was a knats dick from scoring, but we will take that luck and hope we can keep creating chances up front and not have too many meltdowns!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Why not Rosenior on instead if wanted to shore up the right hand side? Played RM successfully before AK arrived

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ok - I buy this. A jack of all trades substitution... fair enough. And, as noted, and accepted, it worked.

Well, yes, it worked. Just.

It wasn't just a question of Murphy or Jose, though. We had two other substitution opportunities available - could have given Izquierdo (or Izzy, now he's fit again) a run out at the end of the match - speed against tiring legs. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't (yes, I do know we won, and I'm delighted about that).

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just before he was substituted, he'd twice kicked the ball into touch when attempting to pass to Bruno, and he was on a yellow.
He was tired and making mistakes.

Exactly this. We know Chris will not hesitate to sub Knocky if he feels he's not doing his job properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here