Not open for further replies.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just when everybody thinks the Tories can't get any worse they do with treating the Windrush people with the threat of deportation , what an utterly morally repugnant government they are and what a nasty , racist piece of work Theresa May is as this lands right on her desk as home secretary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/no-10-refuses-caribbean-request-to-discuss-children-of-windrush?CMP=share_btn_tw

The whole saga is an utter embarrassment. Is that what May meant in her Citizens of Nowhere speech?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree. This is a dreadful situation.

This 66yr old man came over, by invitation of the British government, with his parents, aged 9. He left school, qualified as a special needs teacher. He has been here for 56 years, but since Theresa May changed the rules in 2013, he lost his job. His father worked for the Post Office.

Braithwaite is one of an emerging group of people who were born in Commonwealth countries and arrived in the UK as children who have discovered half a century later that they have serious and hard to fix immigration problems. Lawyers working for people in this situation say the level of documentary proof required by the Home Office is extremely high, with officials requesting to see a minimum of one, but preferably four, pieces of documentary evidence for every year spent in the UK. Often GP surgeries and schools that might have been able to provide documentary proof of their residence have since closed, and records destroyed.

Braithwaite was distraught at losing his job. “I had a good rapport with the children. The head said I was an asset to the school, but the HR department said I was illegal because I didn’t have a biometric card,” he said. A biometric card is a residence permit issued to non-British residents, with details of their immigration status. “I had no idea what a biometric card was. I had no idea there was a need to naturalise.”

He began attempting to untangle his immigration situation in 2016 when he first understood there was a problem. When it proved difficult to resolve quickly, he lost his job in February 2017. His lawyer said Home Office records showed he had the right to be in the UK, but officials repeatedly failed to issue him with documents to reflect this.

The latest letter from the Home Office, sent this month, told him he needed to provide further documentary evidence to show he was in the UK before 1973

This is as bad, if not worse,

Fundraising efforts to help pay for cancer treatment for Albert Thompson (not his real name) who is in a similar situation to Braithwaite, raised more than £24,000 in five days. Thompson arrived from Jamaica as a teenager and has lived and worked in the UK continuously for 44 years but was denied NHS radiotherapy for prostate cancer last November.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...loses-job-immigration-status?CMP=share_btn_fb

There is a petition for these people to be treated fairly by the Home Office. It's called an Amnesty, but an amnesty implies a pardon, when they have done nothing wrong!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/216539

I am ashamed of my country. :down:

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Absolute disgrace.

I really, really want to vote May out.

Sadly comrade Corbynski is far, far worse.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have to say that shamefully I'd never heard of Windrush until now. My shame of not knowing about it is nothing to the shame the government and in particular May should feel for destroying peoples lives. Exactly what purpose are the government now cracking down on these people that have spent most of their life here learning, working and contributing to society and the tax take ( something you would think the money orientated Tories would love ).

There aren't words to describe the disgust I currently have of May.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just when everybody thinks the Tories can't get any worse they do with treating the Windrush people with the threat of deportation , what an utterly morally repugnant government they are and what a nasty , racist piece of work Theresa May is as this lands right on her desk as home secretary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/no-10-refuses-caribbean-request-to-discuss-children-of-windrush?CMP=share_btn_tw

It's exremely rare that I agree with anything you write on here but this time I do !
Shameful treatment.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you applied the criteria to yourself, could you provide evidence of UK residency for the length of time these people are being asked to provide.

I know I couldn't.

So that probably means that I'm now unemployed and not entitled to NHS treatment.........

Tories out!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[tweet]985829146793299968[/tweet]

You stand by the statement that Labour, too, have let these people down as per the article you linked to: "Since they arrived, governments of all parties have failed to establish in law what we all know to be true: these people have a right to be here."

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have to say that shamefully I'd never heard of Windrush until now. My shame of not knowing about it is nothing to the shame the government and in particular May should feel for destroying peoples lives. Exactly what purpose are the government now cracking down on these people that have spent most of their life here learning, working and contributing to society and the tax take ( something you would think the money orientated Tories would love ).

It's the Home Office who have lost the records over the years so they're punishing people for their own inadequacies.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]985831260516945920[/TWEET]

"Deported in error". Like that's somehow an acceptable thing.

Call me a triggered leftie SJW snowflake all you want, but I personally think if you're going to deport someone who's lived here for basically their entire life you ought to check the facts pretty damned thoroughly first.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you applied the criteria to yourself, could you provide evidence of UK residency for the length of time these people are being asked to provide.

I know I couldn't.

So that probably means that I'm now unemployed and not entitled to NHS treatment.........

Tories out!

I wonder how many Government ministers could provide theirs ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

"your shame of not knowing about windrush" , shame ? why ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Massive U-turn incoming

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/985835807222259713

[tweet]985835807222259713[/tweet]

As I've said many times, I'm not a fan of Theresa May and I have no in-depth knowledge of this particular situation, but from the two articles linked to by our resident rabid-mouthed looney, I'm finding it difficult to find reasons to blame the present administration for this, at least completely.

The suggestion is that governments of both sides, for generations, have failed to take measures to ensure the security of this group of people. And, from The Guardian article, I can't say I see a whole lot wrong with this statement "Recent changes to the law mean that if you wish to work, rent property or have access to benefits and services in the UK then you will need documents to demonstrate your right to be in the UK."

Clearly, though, this has to be handled carefully and sympathetically. If in doubt, err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt. That seems to be where the failing is taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here