Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 East Lower & surrounded by tossers

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've sat in the west upper a few times, the view is great. But I still have a good view from the furthest back/center of the North and the atmosphere is so much better. Always regret it when I swap seats for a game. I could get a good view at home watching sky, football is all about being with like minded people and feeling the passion. Move seats, that's my advice.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've sat in the west upper a few times, the view is great. But I still have a good view from the furthest back/center of the North and the atmosphere is so much better. Always regret it when I swap seats for a game. I could get a good view at home watching sky, football is all about being with like minded people and feeling the passion. Move seats, that's my advice.

Did a similar thing. The NS is amazing and you still get a great view of everything.

My understanding is the OP is having a pop at 1901 and not the East Lower in general. (Feel free to correct me)

I'm a sort of anti corporate, football for the working classes ex Goldstone boy and the East Lower has been my seat of choice since day one. I have STOOD in the North and it hasn't given me any reason to move seats.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My understanding is the OP is having a pop at 1901 and not the East Lower in general. (Feel free to correct me)

I'm a sort of anti corporate, football for the working classes ex Goldstone boy and the East Lower has been my seat of choice since day one. I have sat in the North and it hasn't given me any reason to move seats.
That's because you were 'sat'

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't understand East Stand 1901. Is it a bit Bowie Extras episode? The same seat ?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
1901 are "corporate seats" and as with every other sporting event (not just football) are largely the preserve of those expensed up on a company jolly with clients or the ones being jollied. Being a fan of the sport in question is rarely a requirement and being a fan of either team is just a statistical anomaly.

Occasionally I am amongst those being jollied and I give up my seats in SWC for 1901 and regret it every time. The view from the elevated position at the half way line does vastly out-shine that of our front-row, obscured-by-everything-from-the-man-from-sky-to-the-corner-flag seats, but I would not hesitate in saying the better match day experience is to be had slumming it in the "cheap seats".

You can keep your beer in a real glass, short queues and free programmes and we'll just sit in the rain, stand in the cold concrete concourses with our floppy plastic glasses and sing our hearts out with the other fans (and occasionally hear gems like "Daddy, do they get paid more if it's raining").

Don't envy you mate. See out the 5 year contract and then treat your "last years" to a more enjoyable experience for all 3 generations!

Each to his own of course and I'm not too sure how 1901 differs from hospitality (apart from the lunch set up). I've done hospitality at several of the bigger clubs, always as a neutral and generally enjoyed it. But v Newcastle I was in hospitality in the East and had a pretty miserable time. Sanitised environment, far too much patronising (or OTT) service, having to 'dress up' (gawd knows why when I can buy a first class ticket on BA and wear what I like) and then sitting in the middle of a group who showed very little interest in what was going on. If ever offered I wouldn't do it again

Last edited:

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
The trouble with the 1901 club is a lot off the people are not Brighton supporters and are just going for thier own eggo that is the trouble with this corporate thing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's par for the course for these "premium" areas of grounds, I'm afraid.

I expect there are relatively few opposing fans in the West 1901 since it largely sold out to Albion fans, but the East does seem to have a fair few match-by-match seats on sale, so infiltration is inevitable when clubs with large followings visit.

At the Villa game at the end of last season, the Villa posh seats had a large number of Albion fans in them and it did get a bit heated when we went one up with a lot of Villa fans complaining at the large presence of Albion fans in "their stand".

Modern football, eh?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It's par for the course for these "premium" areas of grounds, I'm afraid.

I expect there are relatively few opposing fans in the West 1901 since it largely sold out to Albion fans, but the East does seem to have a fair few match-by-match seats on sale, so infiltration is inevitable when clubs with large followings visit.

At the Villa game at the end of last season, the Villa posh seats had a large number of Albion fans in them and it did get a bit heated when we went one up with a lot of Villa fans complaining at the large presence of Albion fans in "their stand".

Modern football, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njQXFw2kDBs

CAUGHT ON CAMERA

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
1901 are "corporate seats" and as with every other sporting event (not just football) are largely the preserve of those expensed up on a company jolly with clients or the ones being jollied. Being a fan of the sport in question is rarely a requirement and being a fan of either team is just a statistical anomaly

From personal experience 1901 is, in the main, far from being "corporate" and certainly not corporate enough for Paul Barber to generate the level of additional revenue he might dream of.
Most "first wave" 1901 members are old school Goldstone fans of mature age and with a disposition to comfort. Bozza's response above is an excellent summary.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The trouble with the 1901 club is a lot off the people are not Brighton supporters and are just going for thier own eggo that is the trouble with this corporate thing.

Can't speak for all 1901 areas but in the one I'm in, your description is nonsense!

Unfortunately, there are many who want to criticise 1901, for whatever reason, so will do so regardless of the facts.

The word 'corporate' is ridiculously over-used and mis-used, mostly in a sneering way.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I could get a good view at home watching sky

This is always my argument, when I watch the game again at home or highlights I can watch a new view of it. OK Gross' volley pass to Knocky might have looked better from the gods but Propper's pass in the first half was glorious from the NS

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here