Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

GOSBTS What do you sing when the players walk out?

• You can tell them all that we stand or fall

Votes: 301 84.1%
  • And we're going up to win the cup

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • None. I don't sing.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No it doesn't make you a newbie. I've been singing 'going up to win the cup' for decades like the rest of you, but that's just an in game chant, and it's taken from the stand or fall poem anyway.

Stand or fall means a lot more, and it's over a hundred years old. God knows why anyone sings 'going up' at the start.

Because 'stand or fall' was replaced in the 60's and has now resurfaced.

Stand or fall are the correct words, but if you've sung the other version for over 40 years you can understand why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The actual *******isation, was, I believe, "And we're going up AND we'll win the cup".

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Frigging hell [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. Bar Stewardisation isn't offensive. It's a real word. Google must be hypersensitive...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Though I stop singing that part now as everyone seems to sing something different and sounds out of sync now. They really shouldnt of put it on the screen, before everyone seemed to sing in unison.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Im with going up to win the cup.Thats what it was when I first started going and pretty much for over 20years since I ve been going so sticking with that.Stand or fall has only been sung in the last few season but not bothered what people sing its upto them.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Going up to win the cup!

Yeah I know stand Or fall is the 'right' answer but we've sung going up since I've been going in early 80s so...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I sing "Going Up" because that's what I've always done at football. I may revert to the proper words in time but it's kind of ingrained in me now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You would have thought so wouldn't you, there is still some planks who do not get it.

It's true. There are some astonishing stupid people who despite 2 seasons worth on the big screen still can't follow the words. Reminds me of that old Skol advert at times.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Im with going up to win the cup.Thats what it was when I first started going and pretty much for over 20years since I ve been going so sticking with that.Stand or fall has only been sung in the last few season but not bothered what people sing its upto them.

FFS. What are you on about? They are the ORIGINAL words. I am still amazed that now 90% of fans are singing stand or fall as results on here seem to show too but there are still a few grumps who are determined to stand there singing the wrong words to our original anthem.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
FFS. What are you on about? They are the ORIGINAL words. I am still amazed that now 90% of fans are singing stand or fall as results on here seem to show too but there are still a few grumps who are determined to stand there singing the wrong words to our original anthem.

you need to get out more! bigger things going on the world than the right words to song.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Your assessment is pretty harsh I feel. Of course they were the original words, but they were changed at one point such that the majority of fans were singing "we're going up, and we'll win the cup / to win the cup". It's true that it's only in recent, Amex years that the original words are now sung by the majority of fans again. Growing up I never heard "stand or fall" - but I always did think the 'cup' version was somewhat illogical. Stand or Fall has now mostly prevailed - but it's always going to be difficult for some people to change words that have been ingrained in their mind for years. The same sort of reason why some people still call the Premier League 'the Premiership'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35BokDj0nQ

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I resent your constant abuse of fans that for whatever reason (usually that it was ingrained from the Goldstone days) sing the "going up" version. I deliberately sing the incorrect words but I'm not convinced this is grounds to call me or other fans 'idiots'

you need to get out more! bigger things going on the world than the right words to song.

Ok idiots is a bit strong but I just really want to hear 27k home fans sing our anthem in unison, I am not alone either. As previously mentioned, other versions are often sung during games but for the teams walking out I cannot understand why you would want to sing the wrong words rather than hear the entire home crowd belt out our anthem.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Your assessment is pretty harsh I feel. Of course they were the original words, but they were changed at one point such that the majority of fans were singing "we're going up, and we'll win the cup / to win the cup". It's true that it's only in recent, Amex years that the original words are now sung by the majority of fans again. Growing up I never heard "stand or fall" - but I always did think the 'cup' version was somewhat illogical. Stand or Fall has now mostly prevailed - but it's always going to be difficult for some people to change words that have been ingrained in their mind for years. The same sort of reason why some people still call the Premier League 'the Premiership'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d35BokDj0nQ

Great post

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here