Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon quitters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But even then you are talking about 17k. For that amount of money it is worth 'giving it a go' as you might be alright. The problem is the amount of money, it is too much to turn down for a low level player.
I'm waiting for a hip replacement, but for £17K I'd give it a go!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When you say 'luck of the draw' of course I get that if it is something really random - like rain, obviously, or injuries during a match. But I don't think this was bad luck. IMHO (and people like McEnroe as well) these players should never have been on the court, aggravated existing bad injuries, and they admitted afterwards that they knew there was a risk this could happen.

It doesn't mean that it was money motivated and even if the money was a lot less, it still could have happened.

Basically it's the biggest tournament in the tennis calendar and (for some players) maybe the only opportunity they may get to play there during their career and it's a bit like the football world cup, and players being taken / still going despite being unfit (Rooney, Beckham, etc) - they still go because of what the occasion actually is where they definitely would have withdrawn from lower profile events (/games)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
But even then you are talking about 17k. For that amount of money it is worth 'giving it a go' as you might be alright. The problem is the amount of money, it is too much to turn down for a low level player.

There was a Brit playing yesterday called Alexander Ward who had only won $8,702 USD or £6,736 for the year to date prior to his 1st round match. Getting £17k to withdraw would treble his earnings for the year, playing and withdrawing would practically 6x it.

If they were carrying an injury, they would still try to play on because the amount is so big and can make the difference for the remainder of this season and the start of next and also, as per my previous post on this, they may never get another chance to play at such an important and prestigious tournament again

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
So the moral of this story is don't go to the first round?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When you say 'luck of the draw' of course I get that if it is something really random - like rain, obviously, or injuries during a match. But I don't think this was bad luck. IMHO (and people like McEnroe as well) these players should never have been on the court, aggravated existing bad injuries, and they admitted afterwards that they knew there was a risk this could happen.

Both British No 1s had injury scares in the run up to Wimbledon which, thankfully didn't stop them playing. However, they could equally have started their matches, aggravated the injuries and pulled out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here