Balogun 6.5
Dunk 7
Bernardo 8.5 - he’s some footballer this lad. Clear MOTM for me
Knockaert 5
Stephens 5 - passing poor or sideways
Propper 7
March 7
Gross 5 - nothing coming to him from midfield
Murray 5 - poor. Stupid fouls, lazy offsides.

Andone 7.5 - different game for the Chelsea defence when he was on
Bissouma 7 - energetic, committed and always looking forward
Locadia n/a

If we don’t start with Andone and Bissouma in place of Murray and Stephens next time out I’ll be disappointed

....yes, I know I’ll be disappointed [emoji3525]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ryan 6
Montoya 6
Balogun 4
Dunk 6
Bernardo 8
Knockaert 4
Stephens 7
Propper 7
March 7
Gross 5
Murray 5

Subs

Andone 6
Bissouma 6
Locadia 6.

CH 4 very poor substitutions that were 30 mins too late.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bernardo 8
Dunk & Propper 7
Everyone else 6 (or worse, in one or two cases, a whole lot worse).

Hughton 0 ; that first half 'display' and his team selection today summed up everything that's sooooo frustrating about his management style. Reverting to his favoured plodding, zero pace midfield and attack, and wingers that seem totally unable to actually cross the ball in open play, he had us effectively waving the white flag from the first minute. Our tactics were so negative he managed to numb the whole ground into near-silence after about 30 minutes, and the match had the feel of a half-hearted testimonial as we let them pass it about at walking pace whilst we stood off and admired them. Luiz barely had to break into a run until Andone came on. Hugely disappointing. Too little, too late.

So true. I have never seen the fans so quiet as in the last period of the first half when the Albion players literally stood back and watched Chelsea passing the ball around with ease. Not a challenge in sight from Brighton. It was sickening to watch. Hughton has to take a lot of the blame for that embarrassing approach to a game of football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the worst thing in the game and most telling was that when we had the ball we were surrounded by 4 or 5 Chelsea players when they had the ball we had no more than 1 try to get the ball

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I think that the worst thing in the game and most telling was that when we had the ball we were surrounded by 4 or 5 Chelsea players when they had the ball we had no more than 1 try to get the ball

Chelsea pressed and harried us really effectively from the start. We just watched them with the ball until Andone came on and showed the rest of the team how to harry. To be fair though, Knocky did try and chase in the first half.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Manager has to take the blame for the boring negative shite first half. Devoid of pace, no press, no passion. PASSION REMEMBER Chris, the Palace game? **** me it can be frustrating.

Changed when Andone was sent on. Suddenly a different team..

Finally he shows some talent but I have concluded, though he was educated at Bedes March is thick.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If ever there was a game of two halves …

Ryan 7. Good game. Kicking much improved.
Montoya 7. Decent game without any standout moments.
Dunk 7. One misplaced pass that could have resulted in a goal, otherwise a good game.
Balogun 6. Good game apart from THAT pass.
Bernardo 8. Polished performance. Still can't believe he's the same player who played so badly at Watford.
Stephens 6. Woeful first half, much improved second.
Propper 8. One of his best games for us.
Knockaert 7. Some very good stuff from him, but also some frustrating moments as usual. In the first half he was the only Albion player to have a go at Chelsea.
March 8. Well taken goal and an OK game, but too many poor crosses.
Gross 6. Not back to his best.
Murray 5. Largely ineffective.

Subs:
Andone 7. Should have come on ten minutes earlier (or probably started). Made a massive difference with his energetic running and harassment.
Bissouma 7. Ditto.
Locadia N/A

Very poor team selection and game plan by Hughton. Sitting back as we did in the first half was never the right approach.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
M Ryan 6
M Montoya 7
L Balogun 5
L Dunk 6
F Bernardo 8
D Stephens 6
D Pröpper 6
S March 7
A Knockaert 7 (sub: J Locadia 83, 5)
P Groß 6 (sub: Y Bisouma 81,7)
G Murray 5 (sub: F Andone 60, 7)

Match lost with an inept first half performance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stephens 4 - a poor performance. Got bypassed too easily, slowed attacks down, movement was non-existent.

Stephens 7 - excellent off the ball, harrying, closing down, snapping at their heels, Impressive return from a few games out. With the ball gave it a way a few times but its not his main role in the side

Quite contrasting views here. I agree with the first one. And that is my general opinion of Stephens.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ryan 6
Montoya 6
Dunk 7
Balogun 5
Bernardo 6
March 4
Stephens 4
Propper 6
Knockhaert 6
Gross 4
Murray 4

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Bit hard to score that. At the end of the season, in context, 1-2 to Chelsea among a sea of wins and disappointing draws and defeats....if may be one of those where we could have gone for it and it could have gone horrible, with a big dent to the mojo and who knows what. We are keeping the scores down against the top sides, nicking the occasional win (Arse, Manure, Manure)...and slowly consolidating.

Frankly if you had come up to me in the Theatre of Trees, at half time, in the rain, and told me we would be a bit of a meh side in the top division in 18 years, I wouldn't have been able to snap your hand off because I'd have been in floods.

Still...yes...I look forward to seeing a bit more of the new boys (all bar Ali J on the pitch towards the end today). Murray had a break on in the first half and stopped as he knew he didn't have the legs. Can't see Andone doing that...

We are transitioning from 'imposters'. Not sure what into yet. Maybe something rather good.

Fantastic comment. Sums up how I feel about our side that shows so many flashes of real skill. We deserve to be here - we'll keep improving. We'll do that more quickly when the team believe they have the right to be here - over to you Chris!!

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
Bit hard to score that. At the end of the season, in context, 1-2 to Chelsea among a sea of wins and disappointing draws and defeats....if may be one of those where we could have gone for it and it could have gone horrible, with a big dent to the mojo and who knows what. We are keeping the scores down against the top sides, nicking the occasional win (Arse, Manure, Manure)...and slowly consolidating.

Frankly if you had come up to me in the Theatre of Trees, at half time, in the rain, and told me we would be a bit of a meh side in the top division in 18 years, I wouldn't have been able to snap your hand off because I'd have been in floods.

Still...yes...I look forward to seeing a bit more of the new boys (all bar Ali J on the pitch towards the end today). Murray had a break on in the first half and stopped as he knew he didn't have the legs. Can't see Andone doing that...

We are transitioning from 'imposters'. Not sure what into yet. Maybe something rather good.

Very much agree with this, frustrating day however, belief seems to be everything

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ryan 6
Montoya 7
Bernardo 8 MOTM
Dunk 6
Balogun 5 - - had a bit of a 'mare but can forgive him as its early days and he did score against the scum
March 7
Stephens 4 - Better than Bissouma or Kayal? Really?
Propper 7
Knockaert 6 - always a trier
Gross 4 - contributed very little. Wrong player for that type of game?
Murray 5 - was never going to be the game for him

Andone 7
Bissouma 7
Locadia N/A

Odd selection by CH. He has got plenty right but yesterday he seemed to have lost the plot with selection and tactics. Truly shocking first half.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The summer recruits (starting 11 and subs) all looked good. Propper's contribution for our goal was excellent.

I feel strangely positive.

First half was shit.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Quite contrasting views here. I agree with the first one. And that is my general opinion of Stephens.

I see the point in Stephens. And he's been critical to our game for a few years now. But if we're to establish ourselves regularly he shouldn't be the nailed on starter yesterday suggested he is, particularly against the biggest sides. He's too easy to isolate, his movement is lacking and he doesn't offer enough dynamism to dictate such games. But I just thought he was really exposed yesterday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here