Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lefty loonies

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The stereotype I absolutely detested through the 2000s and 2010s was the one where the man of the house is just portrayed as useless and stupid, with the woman giving some cringeworthy knowing look. And yet, women have had to put up with a lot worse before then and since.

In essence, I think I'm saying I'm pleased this is happening. It's a change for the better.

Exactly - I would rather be moving in this direction than the way that Chelsea Football fans seem to be moving whereby they think a sense of humour involves derisory comments and chants aimed at Jews and Black

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow.

I don't think I have EVER seen a thread go sooooo badly for he OP.

Top work :bowdown::lolol:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
"Adverts showing a woman struggling to park a car or a man refusing to do housework while his wife cooks dinner will be banned from next year as part of an industry-wide crackdown on sexist stereotypes.
Under the new rules, British companies will no longer be able to create promotions that depict men and women engaged in gender-stereotypical activities, amid fears that such depictions are contributing to pay inequality and causing psychological harm.
Adverts will no longer be able to show a person failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender, such as a man unable to change a nappy or a woman unable to do DIY".

Oh dear. The world has lost its sense of humour.

I've no issue with this in theory, but the semantics of it are a little misleading. For example, if you're a detergent brand, then you have to research and ask the questions such as "who am I marketing this to?" and "who is most likely to buy the washing powder within the family?". In reality, this will still be mainly to mums. However, with this new rule, they can't do that as it's stereotyping.

In regards to the above example, I'm a man in a relationship with a woman, yet we don't live together. I've done my washing for years now and will continue to do so because I can look after myself. But can I honestly say I'm offended because such adverts aren't aimed at me? The answer is no... because anyone with any sense knows that such adverts aren't created to stereotype - they're created to most effectively reach the audience for which they're intended. So all this is actually doing is muddying the waters for companies and brands who could potentially struggle to reach their target audience without causing offence and breaking said rules.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
does this mean toy adverts will have deliberate gender reversal, boys playing with My Little Pony and girls playing with Nerf guns?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Genuinely wondering what this has to do with left wing politics?

In that it is against sexism and about tackling inequality? This is a genuine question btw.

Thank you for making this point, I was going to do the same. As another poster has pointed out, I would imagine that caring Tories (there must be such a thing) would be appalled to think that this was something only lefties were concerned with.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Genuinely wondering what this has to do with left wing politics?

In that it is against sexism and about tackling inequality? This is a genuine question btw.

I'm going to defend [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], although he (and I'm sure I've got the sex right here) can speak for himself, this minor tweaking of the ASA is more appropriately aligned with the left rather than the right, as the left are interested in equality, whereas the right are interested in inequality including but not necessarily involving (but by no means limited to) stereotyping and discrimination.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm going to defend [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], although he (and I'm sure I've got the sex right here) can speak for himself, this minor tweaking of the ASA is more appropriately aligned with the left rather than the right, as the left are interested in equality, whereas the right are interested in inequality including but not necessarily involving (but by no means limited to) stereotyping and discrimination.

Have you got an 'ology ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly - I would rather be moving in this direction than the way that Chelsea Football fans seem to be moving whereby they think a sense of humour involves derisory comments and chants aimed at Jews and Black

Me too, and I think we should point this out to them/their fans when they join us on Sunday.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Me too, and I think we should point this out to them/their fans when they join us on Sunday.

The Whitehawk fans sing a song to the tune of Kumbaya that goes something like:

Racism, we say no
Homophobia, we say no
Sexism, we say no
Oh oh we say no

Might be worth stealing.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
From now on when Goldstone starts one of his stupid WUM threads can the first reply just be somebody else changing the topic and then we all discuss something more important?

I’ll get the ball rolling: Has anybody got any good Netflix box set suggestions?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
From now on when Goldstone starts one of his stupid WUM threads can the first reply just be somebody else changing the topic and then we all discuss something more important?

I’ll get the ball rolling: Has anybody got any good Netflix box set suggestions?

Remember the good old days when the WUM responses used to be recipes? I learned about a lot of good dishes then.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well, as a lefty myself, I'm going to stand up for the right here and say they aren't interested in inequality, they are interested in freedom. And as any student of politics will tell you, you cannot have true freedom without inequality, and you cannot have true equality without restricting freedoms.

Its a battle between two well-meaning ideals that has raged since time immemorial. The French made the best philosophical effort to reconcile the two things by adding a third ideal, brotherhood, to the mix in their famous 'liberte, egalite, fraternite'. We know that true brotherhood between people means that some will accept being a little less equal in return for more freedoms, and others will accept being a little less free in return for more equality, and if we trust and respect each other we can all get along just fine.

Its what allows us to create bigger and better unions with more and more people to live happier and more prosperous lives.... but when the brotherhood falls apart things start sliding...........

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If the Brexit fiasco wasn’t bad enough, this ridiculous politically correct left wing government are now banning comedy! Could my day get any worse!

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Well, as a lefty myself, I'm going to stand up for the right here and say they aren't interested in inequality, they are interested in freedom. And as any student of politics will tell you, you cannot have true freedom without inequality, and you cannot have true equality without restricting freedoms.

Its a battle between two well-meaning ideals that has raged since time immemorial. The French made the best philosophical effort to reconcile the two things by adding a third ideal, brotherhood, to the mix in their famous 'liberte, egalite, fraternite'. We know that true brotherhood between people means that some will accept being a little less equal in return for more freedoms, and others will accept being a little less free in return for more equality, and if we trust and respect each other we can all get along just fine.

Its what allows us to create bigger and better unions with more and more people to live happier and more prosperous lives.... but when the brotherhood falls apart things start sliding...........

Succinctly put.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I'm confused now, are you for or against stereotyping as you have done just that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here