Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] They don’t pay any road tax and they get free beer!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
True.
Why are so many cyclists colour blind? When the vast majority of motorists stop for a red light, it seems to make no difference to many cyclists, who sail merrily through, oblivious to danger and acting as if no rules of the road apply to them.

And why do they use the road when there’s a perfectly good cycle path for them etc etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being serious just for a second, and this is a genuine question but is there not such a thing as being drunk in charge of a bicycle which presumably has some sort of a reprimand?

Oh most definitely, I just didn't think this was a serious thread.
Other than the amount of deaths caused by cars every year verses the odd cyclist riding through a pedestrian light that still red after everyone has crossed on their side.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Because we don't have too, they only apply to licensed vehicles.

Wrong !

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 s.36 and the Traffic Signs Regulations and Directions and Directions 2002 regulations 10 and 36(1), road users must not cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. This offence, also known as ‘red light jumping’, applies to cyclists as well as motorists. The maximum penalty for red light jumping is a £1,000 fine and six penalty points endorsed on the driver’s licence however, in most cases, a driver will get a Fixed Penalty Notice (On-the-Spot Fine) of £30[1] whilst the maximum would only ever be imposed if the Fixed Penalty Notice is contested and taken to court. The punishment is also applicable to cyclists who, if caught, can be issued a Fixed Penalty Notice of £30.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wrong !

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 s.36 and the Traffic Signs Regulations and Directions and Directions 2002 regulations 10 and 36(1), road users must not cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. This offence, also known as ‘red light jumping’, applies to cyclists as well as motorists. The maximum penalty for red light jumping is a £1,000 fine and six penalty points endorsed on the driver’s licence however, in most cases, a driver will get a Fixed Penalty Notice (On-the-Spot Fine) of £30[1] whilst the maximum would only ever be imposed if the Fixed Penalty Notice is contested and taken to court. The punishment is also applicable to cyclists who, if caught, can be issued a Fixed Penalty Notice of £30.

Dear god can we add humourless to this never ending list of car drivers tropes. :facepalm:

Anyhoo after a lovely ride yesterday, I'm off for a lovely drive today (not lovely at all, it'll be horrible).

See you later succcckkkkeeeeers

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I take it you never notice the youths on bikes with headphones in and both hands on their iPhone shuffling their play list?

They are hard to notice as they don't have lights on the bike and wear dark clothing, there seems to be a cult of Ninja cyclists in Crawley at the moment who try and become invisible.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Because we don't have too, they only apply to licensed vehicles.
All because someone in a 2 tonne death machine decided they, their phone call, their sat nav, their text message, was more important than someone else's life.

I don't think someone actually makes a conscious decision and thinks "hmmm... answer this text - or mow down a pedestrian?.... Well, this text is really important so I'll run the f*cker over..."

No excuses for that person though. Absolutely granted.

What he/she was trying to get across is that cyclists jumping red lights causes accidents. You then pretty much say it's irrelevant because the law only applies to licensed vehicles. Does that mean a 5 year old can carry a loaded shotgun because it's below the age of prosecution if it goes off in someone's face? Both can have lethal outcomes... :shrug:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My brother lives in Bologna, but doesn’t drink beer.

He cycles to work, though. He is a teacher, so he pays no road tax and gets too many holidays.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Oh most definitely, I just didn't think this was a serious thread.
Other than the amount of deaths caused by cars every year verses the odd cyclist riding through a pedestrian light that still red after everyone has crossed on their side.

I realised it wasn’t a serious thread but just wondered about drinking and cycling and so thought I’d ask.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
You can be done for drunk in charge.
Speeding is interesting as you can't get done for speeding on a bike, but can get done for "wanton and furious driving"

Thank you. Any ideas on punishment? I’d assume it’s a fine as I don’t really know what else the authorities can do in such circumstances. I’m genuinely curious about it and not just trying to get ammo for a hate campaign about cyclists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think someone actually makes a conscious decision and thinks "hmmm... answer this text - or mow down a pedestrian?.... Well, this text is really important so I'll run the f*cker over..."

No excuses for that person though. Absolutely granted.

What he/she was trying to get across is that cyclists jumping red lights causes accidents. You then pretty much say it's irrelevant because the law only applies to licensed vehicles. Does that mean a 5 year old can carry a loaded shotgun because it's below the age of prosecution if it goes off in someone's face? Both can have lethal outcomes... :shrug:

Cyclists going through red lights can cause accidents.
Drivers going through red lights causes fatalities.

Of course a 5 year old can carry a gun, just so long as they are not driving as well

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went to Bologna in the Summer, it’s a beautiful city with a large student population. Didn’t notice a lot of cyclists but then again don’t remember much traffic bothering me when I strolled around. Definitely no Lycra clad nazis on bikes though or people mowing down pedestrians on bikes.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Get you!
Hope you don't get your ponytail caught in your spokes!
Lighten up.......and excuse the pun.:D

Theres nothing but CONSTANT berating of cyclists on here at the moment & its getting incredibly boring, so perhaps the pitchfork brigade are the ones that need to lighten up a bit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wish my conscience allowed me to glibbly ignore the death of hundreds of innocent people every year.

Typical car driver. : thumbsup:
Post 4# on this thread shows that you rather " Glibly " would accept deaths of some innocent people? Any death on the road in any way in any vehicle is sad, however, sticking to the rules would considerably reduce risk on the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here