Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Long Man (obv)
Kissingate
Beachy Head

FWIW I think Harveys is dross, but recognise I'm in a large minority

I think the world has passed them by but I do enjoy a pint of Best from time to time.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Homogenised is it?

Along with your previous posts adjuncts have been used for many years, Craft beer is one of the oldest alcoholic drinks of all time. Young beardies haven't reinvented the wheel.

Being an old fart myself my view is that craft beer making is in the very safe hands of the young beardies, the American sour beers have in my opinion revolutionised beer and the Dark Star brewery was a trail blazer, I was saddened to hear of their takeover but after some thought it maybe good for Fullers to have an injection of new beers and for me I had got into a rut if Dark Star was on offer I would shun all others so it's time I broadened my horizons I am now starting the arduous thankless task of having to taste countless beers to find a new Blue3 beer of choice

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Sounds like a great day. He was a lone voice in the wilderness when the brewers were turning to keg in their droves. He was at a meeting of the brewers when a funeral went past and one of the brewers said "There goes another one of your customers, John." He lived to see the real ale revival.

Couple of corrections though: he was 85 when we died - the brewery ceased brewing the same week that he passed away - and he was never knighted, he was plain John Young. When you think of some of the rogues and wastrels who have picked up a K, that's a disgrace.

Errors due to duff information from our skipper!

I have pics of our visit somewhere. He actually met us in one of his pubs, I think Tooting way, as one of the lads was from there. Anyway, (Sir) John Young went straight behind the bar & served us all pints on the house. That was before the sun was over the yard arm! What a gent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Errors due to duff information from our skipper!

I have pics of our visit somewhere. He actually met us in one of his pubs, I think Tooting way, as one of the lads was from there. Anyway, (Sir) John Young went straight behind the bar & served us all pints on the house. That was before the sun was over the yard arm! What a gent.

I used to live in Tooting - The Leather Bottle and The Old Sergeant were regular haunts of mine. I believe the former now has a John Young room in tribute to the old boy. It sounds like a really memorable day for you

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Burning Sky is part of the reason I’m not too fussed about what’s happened to Dark Star. For the benefit of everyone/me shall we have a roll call of good Sussex Breweries? My mind is a bit blank today but here’s a starter.

Burning Sky
Arundle
Brighton Bier
Lost and Found
Gun
Harvey’s.

Unbarred and The Kiln are two of my favorites currently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it's time I broadened my horizons I am now starting the arduous thankless task of having to taste countless beers to find a new Blue3 beer of choice

Good luck and if you need any help remember NSC will always be with you.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Burning Sky is part of the reason I’m not too fussed about what’s happened to Dark Star. For the benefit of everyone/me shall we have a roll call of good Sussex Breweries? My mind is a bit blank today but here’s a starter.

Burning Sky
Arundle
Brighton Bier
Lost and Found
Gun
Harvey’s.

Bedlam in Albourne has a couple of good beers

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I was going to add to the list of other Sussex breweries, but I realised it would take too long to type them out. I thought there were around 30, but it seems there are more like 60, so I'm sure there will still be something local to drink even if (and it's hugely unlikely) Dark Star's brews end up in Chiswick.

Not sure how up to date it is, but here's CAMRA list of Sussex breweries:

http://www.brightoncamra.org.uk/Breweries.html

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Goldmark beer from Poling near Arundel is great.His Strawberry Stout is a fantastic beer.
I was talking to the brewer about Dark Star today, he was musing over brewing a Hophead 'imitation' to take advantage should the original deteriorate under Fuller's. He already thinks it will be less hopped.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Heathern and top notch from grape and grain Haywards Heath they also sell Harveys and dark star (fullers) by the pint or flagan or two pint take away milk bottle great off licence also brillant selection of bottled beers.
Great selection of wines and cheeses.
Independent business with great knowledge of beers and wines and spirits.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They most certainly have. I was drinking a 9% Nelson Sauvin hopped Chardonnay barrel aged Belgian Ale the other night. I cannot think of this as being anything but wheel reinventing. Same goes for simple things like American Pales....absolutely wheel reinventing.

American Pales, American hops were being used in the Victorian age in our beer, over time less hopping was used until 1980's when the Americans started to hop more once again thus repeating OLD methods.

Putting a brew in another vessel used previously for another type of drink is not reinventing anything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
American Pales, American hops were being used in the Victorian age in our beer, over time less hopping was used until 1980's when the Americans started to hop more once again thus repeating OLD methods.

Which is my point exactly my point , ie bearded hipsters have re-invented the wheel? You said, and I quote “Young beardies haven't reinvented the wheel.” Repeating old methods and dressing it up as something different, ie craft beer, is exactly the definition of re-inventing the wheel is it not?

Either way it’s not worth a squabble so please don’t misinterpret my post as wanting one :smile:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was going to add to the list of other Sussex breweries, but I realised it would take too long to type them out. I thought there were around 30, but it seems there are more like 60, so I'm sure there will still be something local to drink even if (and it's hugely unlikely) Dark Star's brews end up in Chiswick.

Not sure how up to date it is, but here's CAMRA list of Sussex breweries:

http://www.brightoncamra.org.uk/Breweries.html

Thanks. Sussex, and the U.K., is in rude health when it come to brewing. It’s ridiculous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they were, any sources? the American hops used today for strong bittering wouldn't have been, as they've been bred in the past 40-50 years.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(

Putting a brew in another vessel used previously for another type of drink is not reinventing anything.

Absolute cobblers! American pale ale was popularised by the Sierra Nevada brewery in the early 80's.

The high ibu hops used in an APA style beer didn't exist in Victorian times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d also like to add that my comments about reinventing the wheel are not negative in any way. It’s a fantastic reinvention or reinterpretation or whatever I think the craft revolution, started by our American friends, and whole heartedly supported and continued by Britain is one of the best things in my life time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here