Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Perhaps we haven't handled this one very well, having gone in ultra low initially and having not substantially improved on that original bid.

Having failed to cut this one 'dead' , we are now in the situation that multiple clubs are now apparently interested in signing PMcN in a situation which could become a bidding war !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps we haven't handled this one very well, having gone in ultra low initially and having not substantially improved on that original bid.

Having failed to cut this one 'dead' , we are now in the situation that multiple clubs are now apparently interested in signing PMcN in a situation which could become a bidding war !

Having names in the frame keeps everyone on their toes - McNair, Goldson, Liam Moore, Konsa. If nothing else it shows Rangers how much real players cost outside of the Mickey Mouse SPL.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

True, however we hold key points...PL and money....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Still not convinced that he is a serious target of ours :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why? 3 bids would suggest otherwise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Far too public for the albion - it seems so alien to our normal practice - like a convenient smoky screen.

:shrug:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Duffy was similar with alot of noise around our bids and he ended up joining.

Interesting now that Connor Goldsone is leaving that things should get going...Kosna? Moore? Mcnair? we are now effectively 2 defenders down following departures of LR,UH and CG...Leon Balgoun takes one spot so there is certainly room for two of the three mentioned....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no harm done if we sell Goldson for £3.5 mill and buy McNair for, say £5 mill.

What worries me is that having agreed a £3.5 mill fee (of which Shrewsbury will get a chunk) we have the likes of Reading insisting Liam Moore is worth £15 mill. I'd rather have McNair than Moore in a straight head to head anyway.

Goldson started 24 matches in the season we were pipped for automatic promotion by Boro, he was third choice CB in the Prem and started 3 matches to Hunemeier's 1. You don't normally get anywhere near that quality for £3.5 mill.

Goldson had a cracking game against Watford and was awarded Man Of The Match, a Watford side that are far better than every side in the SPL bar Celtic.

Regardless, I recognise Goldson needs games, so good luck to him north of the border, he's a great lad and I'll be sorry to see him go.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Goldson started 24 matches in the season we were pipped for automatic promotion by Boro, he was third choice CB in the Prem and started 3 matches to Hunemeier's 1. You don't normally get anywhere near that quality for £3.5 mill.

Shane Duffy ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shane Duffy ?

Duffy failed to make the grade at Everton, then spent 55 matches at Yeovil and Scunthorpe, then languished in the bottom half of the table with Blackburn, then left in the season they were relegated. And he still cost us £4 mill.

Goldson, meanwhile, formed a formidable partnership with Dunk that made us a fixture in the Top 3 of the Championship, then went on to become 3rd choice CB in a Prem side that finished 15th.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
There's no harm done if we sell Goldson for £3.5 mill and buy McNair for, say £5 mill.

What worries me is that having agreed a £3.5 mill fee (of which Shrewsbury will get a chunk) we have the likes of Reading insisting Liam Moore is worth £15 mill. I'd rather have McNair than Moore in a straight head to head anyway.

Goldson had a cracking game against Watford and was awarded Man Of The Match, a Watford side that are far better than every side in the SPL bar Celtic.

Regardless, I recognise Goldson needs games, so good luck to him north of the border, he's a great lad and I'll be sorry to see him go.

I hope you mean they are 'just' better than Celtic?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

The Lizard plays his hands cleverly; doesn’t always work but seems like it does more often than not. Not sure there is much NSC can teach him about negotiation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Duffy failed to make the grade at Everton, then spent 55 matches at Yeovil and Scunthorpe, then languished in the bottom half of the table with Blackburn, then left in the season they were relegated. And he still cost us £4 mill.

Goldson, meanwhile, formed a formidable partnership with Dunk that made us a fixture in the Top 3 of the Championship, then went on to become 3rd choice CB in a Prem side that finished 15th.

That, and Shane Duffy was bought nearly two years ago. Transfer fees have skyrocketed in those two years.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Or Duffy was a ROI international who'd just shone at Euro 2016, ex Premier League, who had just had an outstanding season in the Champ for Blackburn when he signed for Brighton for er, about £3.5m and went on to win promotion and become in the space of 12 months a Premier League ever present defender.

Yep. You really don't get near that sort of quality for that sort of price.Except when you do :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here