Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton fans show no respect towards the FA cup.....!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It always amuses me when some in the media claim the FA Cup is still a big competition.Compared to 20 years ago it's half the competition it was.Rather than trying to convince the non believers they should maybe focus on how they can get it to the level it was before.How can they get teams to play their strongest players.How can they get the interest back from supporters.The fact it's no longer at the old iconic Wembley but a new stadium on the same ground doesn't help.Also the 5.15 kick off is a big no no for me.Put it back to 3pm.

It'll never go back to what it was before. I think Jimmy Greaves in his autobiography stated that, back in the 50s, winning the FA Cup was far more prestigious than winning the league.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'll take no lectures about disrespecting the cup when the FA itself allowed the largest team in the land to opt out, played havoc with the timetable of the final, arranged for the final three matches to be played at Wembley each year, introduced penalty shootouts and basically conspired in the dismemberment of everything that once made the tournament special.

Blimey, even the origins of our rivalry are largely attributed to the 1976 FA Cup. Why? Precisely because of the epic three part ding dongs you used to get. The cup has been undermined by the organisers and the public know when they are being sold a pup. I'd have gone last night if I could but I don't blame people for opting out either.

Oh yeah, and may I just say we beat Palace? I know you all know that already. It just sounds so good I thought I'd mention it again.

I agree that the semis should not be played at Wembley to give the final more prestige but not sure about your other points. Manure were pretty much forced by the FA to enter the World Club Cup as we were bidding for the 2006 world cup finals. Had we not been stitched up by the corruptness of Fifa we may well have got those finals.

Not sure our rivally is due to there being two replays, more down to the imbecile Challis and Mullery's reaction. All that could have happened in the first match and not the last.

You talk about 3 match ding dongs but what about Arsenal v Sheffield Wed. 4 replays I think. First game at Sheffield had 33k there and the first replay at Highbury had 38k. 2nd replay at neutral Leicester only had 25k and the 3rd replay at Leicester only 17k. Not quite sure why that shot up to 30k for the final replay at Leicester. In the space of 16 days, they played each other 5 times. Arsenal also fitted in a match against Forest during that spell.

The magic is gone purely because of the money available in the Premier League far outstrips anything you get for winning the cup. Thumbs up to all those sky subscribers then!

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
You beat our 2nd team with your better 2nd team on the night & although pains me to say Bha thoroughly deserved it ,The 12000 loyal Brighton fans who were there made more noise than the league game fair play to them,
I reckon the switch to Mon and the £25 ticket price school next day put a lot of people off especially family fans who Bha have loads,
The people who bothered to turn up should be proud, as should the Palace fans who made the trip & who's train didn't leave Falmer until gone 10.50pm

Speaking for myself I would have gone if it had been on Saturday or Sunday but on Monday night work required me in Yorkshire. Mates of mine who usually take their kids didn't go because (in no particular order):

a) school night
b) poisonous atmosphere at the last game
c) expense so soon after Christmas
d) threat of travel problems
e) on TV

So no great surprises there...

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
and the 14,000 of us who went.

Get where you are coming from and yes I went to. I'm thinking more of the collective than individuals. It was a piss poor crowd which made us look bad to a telly audience. That doesn't mean that Joe Bloggs has let the club down because he wouldn't drive down from Scotland to watch it but collectively its disappointing that only 14k bothered.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Get where you are coming from and yes I went to. I'm thinking more of the collective than individuals. It was a piss poor crowd which made us look bad to a telly audience. That doesn't mean that Joe Bloggs has let the club down because he wouldn't drive down from Scotland to watch it but collectively its disappointing that only 14k bothered.

You cant have a full stadium or near even on a Monday AND be on TV, not us anyhows

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Had it been any other team than the Palace scum, I wouldn't have given a flying **** if we had been knocked out on Monday.

We have scant resources compared to many other PL sides and our priority has to be retaining our PL status. It wasn't as if we played the U23 side anyway; the majority of our team on Monday had had plenty of first team experience (although not necessarily in the PL).

Was a great result; I was thoroughly delighted, but the FA Cup is not what it was and its unlikely it ever will be again.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes but I'm not going to feel any guilt on their behalf, nor am I going to bother defending our low crowd to other people. Their problem, not mine.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Try anyone of these
1 Proposed rail strike
2 Watching a reserve team (9 changes)
3 Monday Night
4 On Tv
5 Previous crowd trouble (Palace fans)
6 A combination of the above
Yet still 14k+ turned up, which was a great turnout all things considered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
The TV companies that show football need to be careful what they wished for.
Many years ago the FA Cup final was the only live game on TV, now there is a cup match on the box 4 days in a row.

The FA and it's cup competion has been reduced in importance since the start of The Premier League.

More matches on TV and increased TV revenues has resulted in the Premier League (or getting to it) more important for Premier League and Championship clubs. The only magic left in the FA Cup is where an upset might occur due to a club taking on opposition in a higher league.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
THE TEAM V '83
Just looked up our squad in '83 when we got to the final but were relegated (but you knew that anyway). Apart from the odd player (injury?) we played the same 11 for every game, including January where we played Newcastle home & away in four days but dropped no players.
And the royals wouldn't dare get married on Cup Final Day.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
The people showing disrespect to the FA Cup are those who schedule its games on a Monday night; those who pay telephone number money to show the Premier League, making it a must to stay in or get in; those who moved the final from being the only game at the end of the season, kicking off at 3 on a Saturday; those who made Cup Final Grandstand redundant; those who allowed semi finals at Wembley; those who allowed Spurs to have a season at Wembley; those who insisted on having penalties in the early rounds so as not to upset the season's tight schedule.

In other words the very pricks talking us down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct answer, well said

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here