Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Gardner...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sami would be an idiot to sell KLL. He is a big asset to the team and has shown flashes of his best this season. I hope we keep him.

Good player but I'm not convinced he fits Sami's style.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Sami would be an idiot to sell KLL. He is a big asset to the team and has shown flashes of his best this season. I hope we keep him.

Quite, however it appears to be club policy that once a player is set on leaving we allow it. I really can't see KLL being a regular starter in our current setup. As an impact sub there aren't many better but is he happy with this arrangement?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
A good signing. As much as Bruno has done well in midfield I think it says a lot that he's been playing there. I'd rather see him in defence and a proper midfielder in. With kemy and Dale out plus toko not playing. This addition looks good to me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Signing also confirmed on BBC site - and is available for Swindon tonight, apparently. Agree with other posters who reckon one or two other midfielders might be off, permanently or otherwise - we've still got FFP to consider!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Happy with this signing, he's another quality option, great to have strength in depth and think where we were a few months ago, Keith Andrews was starting a play-off semi final...

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
"Great player! Just injury prone! If he stays fit the next couple of years, he will be playing regularly for a mid table prem team!"

From my villa supporting mate.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Scored a good goal against us but it seems like a choice of two either Lua Lua is going (rumour site Fulham) or Stephens is further away from fitness than us supporters think. This is only my view and may well be totally wrong and Sami wanted another midfielder as hd doesnt consider the ones we have capable of doing the job.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm sure Sami is following the continental model of targeting players who are comfortable on the ball and in attack - regardless of position. Holla, Bennett and (if he signs) Lenihan are good examples of players in more defensive position who can pick a pass and beat the opposition. Think we'll move away from the polarised English style of picking either defensive 'holding players' or playmakers, dependant upon position. If I'm right, we could see JFC and Toko moved out on loan. Or even Crofts...

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
A good signing. As much as Bruno has done well in midfield I think it says a lot that he's been playing there. I'd rather see him in defence and a proper midfielder in. With kemy and Dale out plus toko not playing. This addition looks good to me.

Sorry I think Saturday said it all for me about Bruno. Midfield MOM and best game I have seen him play for a long time Last 15 minutes moved to right back and nearly cost us the points. Running back claiming offside with his arm in the air when the player was clearly miles on side and then giving away a free kick in injury time that could have been punished. They had more joy down that wing after Calde went off and if Bruno had played there all match I am not sure we would have won the game. Bruno Midfield a 9 in defence max 2 on Saturday.

Very good signing - we have a lot of midfielders but none of them outstanding for me except for Portuguese Joe. Great chance for a good player to rebuilld his career here and helpu us out in doing so

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Sorry I think Saturday said it all for me about Bruno. Midfield MOM and best game I have seen him play for a long time Last 15 minutes moved to right back and nearly cost us the points. Running back claiming offside with his arm in the air when the player was clearly miles on side and then giving away a free kick in injury time that could have been punished. They had more joy down that wing after Calde went off and if Bruno had played there all match I am not sure we would have won the game. Bruno Midfield a 9 in defence max 2 on Saturday.

I will agree that calde should have stayed on. I still would rather see Gardner, Stephens etc in midfield. Bruno is plugging a gap there. That's how I see it. If everyone was fit. He's getting no where near midfield. I think it also upsets the balance of the squad as we have no cover at right back. I'd like to see calde and Bruno rested in the cup. Will that be the case?

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
suspect Hyypia isn't expecting Stephens to be fully fit until Christmas time, so extra cover for him. Would explain why only a 4 month deal too

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I dont expect many to agree but I'd be inclned to part with some of our young assets while they still have value and long contract length. I'd sell one or two of JFC, March and Ince. Whilst talented I dont think they will be real consistant performers in our team, I'd pref to cash in now and invest in more established players. With the new academy I have every faith we will have a conveyor belt of at least equal talent coming through in the next few years.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So our current midfielders ...

DM - Toko, Ince, Holla, Crofts, Stephens
CM/playmakers - Tex, Agustien, [Bruno], JFC, Gardner
Wingers - March, KLL, McCourt

Surely now means a possible loan out or exit ... Or perhaps its just cover for the injured March and Stephens...

I'd say that's an ideal number - Sami mentioned liking having two players per position, so this would pretty much be perfect (assuming Stephens is out for some time). I don't want to see any of those go out on loan, but if it means getting playing time and not stagnating then i guess its a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here