Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we really need a new striker

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I guess I'm right we are bottom of the premier league in terms of shots, but are we also down there in terms of chances created - if that is even a thing? There have been a lot of balls across the box that our strikers didn't get to, or balls over the top that ran through to the defenders - its been clear in many games that a striker with an extra yard or two of pace would get to these balls and get a shot away when Glenn or Tomer couldn't reach it. So to say we don't need a striker because we're not creating chances is ignoring that the striker themselves can create these chances by being in the right place.

This. Plus a quick, strong, mobile striker can better create chances for themselves and others.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes, but I see your point. Propper, Stephens, Dunk & Duffy all yet to score a league goal despite only missing one game between them. Not good enough.

Their minds are on defence, thats their instruction and they carry it out, this mindset is borne out in the reluctance of the midfield to have shot on goal, poor attempts when they do because its last minute and they don't do enough of it. As for the defenders, they have had great opportunities this season and have not been up to the task, is in part of their mandate. Your last three words are correct, not good enough.
Murray can and will score and we would score more if he had so decent service and a support man. I would suggest that we do not need a rushed in striker at this stage as the late signing of Isquierdo proved, limited impact, though wrongly played, we should seek to move on with what we had. Would like to have seen anattempt to get Pritchard in, but perhaps all these missed opportunities look at our style and feel thats not for them. The appeal to a potential player to join a new club comes from the top not the bottom.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If we have a faster and more dangerous striker then not only is there a chance they'll get onto passes that the current strikers aren't but also opposition defences may sit slightly deeper to avoid being caught for pace. If that happens then the midfielders should get an extra yard of space in which to operate.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
In an ideal world we'd be able to upgrade in every position. So the answer in simple terms is yes. But that also applies for pretty much every other position. And that isn't a damning indictment of our squad, just a realistic appraisal that improvements could be had that would help in every area of the pitch.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It's a fair point - we create so little, that we could have Harry Kane up top and I doubt he'd be scoring many.

That said, getting a different type of striker is key. We certainly need the rest of the team to start creating more chances, but part of that is having someone who can run in behind and stretch defences, creating space in the hole for the likes of Gross, Stephens and Propper to create and/or join attacks.

Right now it's pedestrian and uninventive, and while Murray and Hemed are both decent poachers in the penalty area, and either will scramble 5-10 goals for you a season, I'd be loving playing them as a centre half. Everything is to feet, in front of you, and you can get tight and know they're not going to spin you and get in behind. We saw with 25 minutes of Baldock at WBA and against Palace that having someone more mobile opens up the entire final third.

In summary, yes we do need another striker. But if we don't change something tactically, it will be money wasted, regardless of who we recruit.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
I agree it's not just about getting a striker.If we can't create chances for him then what's the point.

I remember when Yorke went to Man U.It was a surprise for many as he wasn't seen as a top top striker however he couldn't
stop scoring for them because he got excellent service and he was playing in a team that dominated alot of games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does NSC have a Dr. Yes to call upon ? :)

The Man from Del Monte?

I remember 2 years ago when Knocky came here, a lot of posters were saying, do we need a midfielder, when we should be getting a striker. It isn't just for this season but to build the team. Murray isn't getting any younger so the recruitment team should be looking ahead to next season, as well as this.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The only circumstance in which we don't need a striker is if we set up with eleven men behind the ball with no concern about making attacking forays into the opponents half.

So, of course, we need a.... Oh, actually..

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes. We badly lack pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Next game I advise any of you who do not think we need a striker, to watch the defensive line of our opposition. They are able to play so high up the pitch because we have no threat in behind. So either Baldock needs to play every game, making our midfield weaker, and without many goals in return from Baldock, or we need to find a big, strong and quick striker.

I would honestly go for Niasse from Everton, he will be relatively cheap, for those who think we will go bust if we spend money on a striker. And he does occupy defences, not much finesse there but better and (perhaps more importantly) different than what we currently have. All that being said I would love it if we went out and signed someone for big money.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Bonkers suggestion.

Our lack of chances and one dimensional build up play is directly linked to lack of pace up front. Adding more midfielders won't change that.

I think we need 2 strikers - a quicker version of Hemed/Murray and a less injury prone and slightly stronger version of Baldock.

I'd also add another winger who has pace and another box to box midfielder.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes, for more reasons that simply what it gives us on the pitch. The lift it will give to the fans and the whole mood around the club will be massive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes.

We have 3 and it can't be long until Baldock's next injury.

If Murray gets crocked we'll up the creek diving for our sunken paddle.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
This is what some football fans never understand.

A striker shouldn't just stand around waiting for an opportunity and if none comes their way then what a waste of money!!!!
A good striker can create havoc in the back line just with their movement. That means some of Propper's more optimistic passes and Solly's not-perfect crosses can come off.
Baldock changed our attack on Saturday just by walking on the pitch. It gives the midfielders a whole new dimension to play in and can be the catalyst for a turn in form, even if that striker does not score a single goal for us.

It's not the midfield that needs changing (though it does need strengthening). It's the forward line.
Pace, movement, ability to stay onside.
Someone like Dwight Gayle but better and we'll be a totally different proposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here