Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

♫Glastonbury 2017♫

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just remembered how utterly amysmal Major Lazer have become, having caught a couple of unbearable minutes of their show. What a load of bollocks!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Sheeran debate gives rise to a question in my mind: why do some artists feel the need to use special effects and devices to produce their live sound - why not just play and sing, and let your talent (or lack thereof) be taken on its own merits?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Sheeran debate gives rise to a question in my mind: why do some artists feel the need to use special effects and devices to produce their live sound - why not just play and sing, and let your talent (or lack thereof) be taken on its own merits?

London Grammar, whilst having a bit of PC gear, relied mainly on her stunning voice, simple guitar with a few keyboards and small string section. Simple yet amazing set.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
London Grammar, whilst having a bit of PC gear, relied mainly on her stunning voice, simple guitar with a few keyboards and small string section. Simple yet amazing set.

Would absolutely agree on LG. Completely blown away by Rooting For You, check it out if you haven't already [video]https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ec584f/play/afvqwh/p056y6wx[/video]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Big fan of a Royal Blood. Their set was stunning. Old school rock and roll. Jimmy Page said they made music of the highest quality and it gave me goosebumps at times. Brilliant work.

Don't want to talk them up too much, but I have to agree, and something went beyond just a set of quality music, their enjoyment of the occasion, the downright ordinariness of a couple of mates loving it contrasted with prodigious exceptional playing, that you can understand why many of the old guard rock musicians are holding these two in awe by the sound they are achieving with a bass guitar and a drum kit. I can seem them headlining by 2019.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Don't want to talk them up too much, but I have to agree, and something went beyond just a set of quality music, their enjoyment of the occasion, the downright ordinariness of a couple of mates loving it contrasted with prodigious exceptional playing, that you can understand why many of the old guard rock musicians are holding these two in awe by the sound they are achieving with a bass guitar and a drum kit. I can seem them headlining by 2019.

As this thread will attract people who seem to know music stuff, how exactly do they get that sound with just a single guitar and drums? On the live set Mike changed guitars quite often, which I assume it because different songs require a different string setup, but within each song he seems to be able to generate both bass and 'lead' guitar sounds... does he have his guitars strung differently to allow both to work?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
As this thread will attract people who seem to know music stuff, how exactly do they get that sound with just a single guitar and drums? On the live set Mike changed guitars quite often, which I assume it because different songs require a different string setup, but within each song he seems to be able to generate both bass and 'lead' guitar sounds... does he have his guitars strung differently to allow both to work?
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] will give you the full downlow, but I believe it is as simple as an octaver and two amps, essentially giving off the sound of two guitars by playing one.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

This is a good source for that.
https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-ba...t-one-drummer-create-the-sound-of-a-full-band

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am a big fan of Royal Blood, but think a band needs 4 Albums before getting a headline slot at Glastonbury, the 2nd Album has only just come out ( Which i like very much )

So cant see Royal Blood headlining for another 4 years or so, providing they are still going strong ofcourse.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Mike Kerr keeps his bass setup as close a guarded secret as he can. He's probably a bit of a nerd at heart that as soon as he gets a bit of technological kit, he spends hours trying every setting and every variable to get something different from it. Essentially as I understand he has the higher frequencies of the bass pass through to a guitar amp, whereas the low bass frequencies go through a bass amp, supplemented by a peddle setup and a lot of talent, he is able to get an unbelievable sound and variation from his bass guitars of which he seems to have 3 or so for a set. I think he varies the strings too so that they are easier to pluck than standard bass strings on some of them. Still, to effectively play lead and bass on the same guitar is impressive, but credit has to also go to Ben Thatcher whose exceptional drum playing hammers out its own bass.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Mike Kerr keeps his bass setup as close a guarded secret as he can. He's probably a bit of a nerd at heart that as soon as he gets a bit of technological kit, he spends hours trying every setting and every variable to get something different from it. Essentially as I understand he has the higher frequencies of the bass pass through to a guitar amp, whereas the low bass frequencies go through a bass amp, supplemented by a peddle setup and a lot of talent, he is able to get an unbelievable sound and variation from his bass guitars of which he seems to have 3 or so for a set. I think he varies the strings too so that they are easier to pluck than standard bass strings on some of them. Still, to effectively play lead and bass on the same guitar is impressive, but credit has to also go to Ben Thatcher whose exceptional drum playing hammers out its own bass.

And thank you too.

And you're right, such a setup wouldn't work without a very talented drummer. My son's studying drums, and has a way to go (he's just passed his Grade 3 Rock Drums exam) and I showed him the Royal Blood set, as the drum work is incredible.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am a big fan of Royal Blood, but think a band needs 4 Albums before getting a headline slot at Glastonbury, the 2nd Album has only just come out ( Which i like very much )

So cant see Royal Blood headlining for another 4 years or so, providing they are still going strong ofcourse.

Arctic Monkeys headlined with just 2 albums under their belt. Reckon RB will have a 3rd out next year, so if they carry on as they are who knows. Brighton Centre in November already sold out.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Arctic Monkeys headlined with just 2 albums under their belt. Reckon RB will have a 3rd out next year, so if they carry on as they are who knows. Brighton Centre in November already sold out.

Yep. Promises to be amazing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And thank you too.

And you're right, such a setup wouldn't work without a very talented drummer. My son's studying drums, and has a way to go (he's just passed his Grade 3 Rock Drums exam) and I showed him the Royal Blood set, as the drum work is incredible.

I loved the drum solo with Kerr leaning nonchalantly on the amps, then Thatcher finishes and just tosses away his sticks with a look to the crowd of what more do you want, almost like Russell Crowe's gladiator 'are you not entertained!?'...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Would be outstanding if Royal Blood ever got a mention on the Simpsons, as the White Stripes have. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here