Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 9 Years Ago today...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely THIS.

Yes it all went utterly tits up at the end, but it was brilliant for most of the preceding three and a half years.

He brought us Calde, Orlandi, Bruno and Vicente to name but a few, as well as some of the most flair football ever seen by the Albion, that outweighs the farce at the end in my opinion.

No plan B though.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Oldham game was superb with a very late goal at the end of September. I phoned up Danny Seagull to see if he was going.

But I still harbour a grudge against the officials for that penalty against Bournemouth a fortnight later, which was CLEARLY outside the area. What a strike by Kazenga for the opener from a free-kick.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Ankergren
Calderon Greer El-Abd Painter
Bennett Dicker Bridcutt Navarro Barnes
Murray

What a team. Chris Wood played plenty as well, as did Noone and LuaLua (prior to him being broken at Hartlepool). Elphick sat on the bench, Dunk playing a game or two and with Baz and Battipiedi ready and waiting in the wings. What a team, what a squad.

Charlton 0-4 Brighton followed by the nightmare on London Road, Peterborough 0-3 Brighton. Top from what, late August or early September? Sandaza winner to beat Oldham and then we never gave up, right?

And as I’ve said before, the icing on the cake in that Championship winning season at Withdean, it didn’t rain during any home game. Brilliant stuff.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ankergren
Calderon Greer El-Abd Painter
Bennett Dicker Bridcutt Navarro Barnes
Murray

What a team. Chris Wood played plenty as well, as did Noone and LuaLua (prior to him being broken at Hartlepool). Elphick sat on the bench, Dunk playing a game or two and with Baz and Battipiedi ready and waiting in the wings. What a team, what a squad.

Charlton 0-4 Brighton followed by the nightmare on London Road, Peterborough 0-3 Brighton. Top from what, late August or early September? Sandaza winner to beat Oldham and then we never gave up, right?

Top from 25th September onwards to the end of the season, including 8 wins out of 8, in March 2011.

As an aside, three years ago today, we signed Anthony Kockaert.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For me, what was unforgivable, was Gus' outburst on Radio Sussex just after we'd beaten the scum on St Patrick's day. He could have at least allowed us a day or two to enjoy a moment that we'd been waiting so long for.

You sure? It was after the 0-2 play off at the Amex?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sparrow ???

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The Oldham game was superb with a very late goal at the end of September. I phoned up Danny Seagull to see if he was going.

But I still harbour a grudge against the officials for that penalty against Bournemouth a fortnight later, which was CLEARLY outside the area. What a strike by Kazenga for the opener from a free-kick.

What really annoyed me about that was that it was given by the Lino against Tommy Elphick and no way could he have bloody seen.

Or was it the ref overruling the Lino? I’m getting old.

Anyway, I was very cross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What really annoyed me about that was that it was given by the Lino against Tommy Elphick and no way could he have bloody seen.

Or was it the ref overruling the Lino? I’m getting old.

Anyway, I was very cross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The linesman overruled the ref. Even now football writers reports are still online, eg Telegraph, stating that it was a yard outside and a blatant foul by oath Fletcher on Elphick.

An incredible decision by an arse.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You sure? It was after the 0-2 play off at the Amex?

Yep, that was when he started going on about ceilings. I was driving home listening to Radio Sussex and feeling amazing. That feeling didn't last.

Edit: Not sure if the ceiling comment was then or later but just after the match Poyet was exrtemely negative, he spoke as though he was off and he also intimated he could do no more at the club as he was hindered.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23363030

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yep, that was when he started going on about ceilings. I was driving home listening to Radio Sussex and feeling amazing. That feeling didn't last.

Edit: Not sure if the ceiling comment was then or later but just after the match Poyet was exrtemely negative, he spoke as though he was off and he also intimated he could do no more at the club as he was hindered.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23363030

“we've just signed Kemy Agustien, so we're really happy with the business we've done this week” said TB :eek:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here