Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Oh oh jezzas gone and done it

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
None, I think you'll find.

Corbyn is a hopeless idiot but the depths some will go to find a soggy old stick to beat him with says more about them than Corbyn.

I agree, but it's definitely an endearing quality of Corbyn's though - the people he pisses off and are rightly outraged at this outrageous act of outrageous sexism that they're all outraged about by JEREMY CORBYN yesterday, because it's not like the country is up the creek without a paddle and in the midst of it's biggest post-war crisis or anything and this is a useful distraction from it.

It's the same people who are quite rightly outraged at Diane Abbott speaking - like literally DIANE ABBOTT - because obviously they have no issues, subliminal or not, with women, women with opinions or black women with opinions or even black women with opinions that differ to their own, because they're not racist or sexist, it's 'cos it's DIANE ABBOTT in'it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I agree, but it's definitely an endearing quality of Corbyn's though - the people he pisses off and are rightly outraged at this outrageous act of outrageous sexism that they're all outraged about by JEREMY CORBYN yesterday, because it's not like the country is up the creek without a paddle and in the midst of it's biggest post-war crisis or anything and this is a useful distraction from it.

It's the same people who are quite rightly outraged at Diane Abbott speaking - like literally DIANE ABBOTT - because obviously they have no issues, subliminal or not, with women, women with opinions or black women with opinions or even black women with opinions that differ to their own, because they're not racist or sexist, it's 'cos it's DIANE ABBOTT in'it.

If it's any consolation, some of us just have an issue with the whole lot of them up at Westminster, all for a variety of reasons related to their incompetence. But you're right with your initial point - it's all just a side show so they can avoid talking about the main event. I do still think Dianne Abbott talks a load of waffle though, albeit I also think that about Corbyn, May, Farage, Johnson, Gove etc etc.

The scariest thing in politics for me right now is that the person I find myself agreeing most with is Nicola Sturgeon. And I really don't know how to feel about that as someone with absolutely no links to Scotland and as someone who generally dislikes the nationalist agenda.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If it's any consolation, some of us just have an issue with the whole lot of them up at Westminster, all for a variety of reasons related to their incompetence. But you're right with your initial point - it's all just a side show so they can avoid talking about the main event. I do still think Dianne Abbott talks a load of waffle though, albeit I also think that about Corbyn, May, Farage, Johnson, Gove etc etc.

The scariest thing in politics for me right now is that the person I find myself agreeing most with is Nicola Sturgeon. And I really don't know how to feel about that as someone with absolutely no links to Scotland and as someone who generally dislikes the nationalist agenda.

For what it's worth, I agree with every word of that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would love to know how many of the offended have also raised concerns about the misogyny that is common on this board?
This board is 10% football, 10% politics, 90% piss-taking (try not to let that confuse you). We should be able to expect better of our politicians than of the posters here.

And this isn't about Corbyn. Cameron called someone 'dear' and had to apologise. I think another Tory recently called someone a stupid woman. It's not the most important thing happening in politics right now, but it is sexist and shouldn't be tolerated in parliament.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By calling someone a stupid woman, it implies all women are stupid.
He could have said don't be stupid.

I take issue with that. No, in fact that that is an absurd conclusion to draw.

The number of times I've heard "stupid man" uttered in public conversation, usually with good reason. But I have NEVER considered that the woman uttering those words was implying all men were stupid.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
None, I think you'll find.

Corbyn is a hopeless idiot but the depths some will go to find a soggy old stick to beat him with says more about them than Corbyn.

Precisely - Obv I don't agree on the hopeless idiot bit but (as you mention) it demonstrates an enormous lack of wit to use this particular soggy, limp, ineffectual stick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously? I think Diane Abbott talks a lot of nonsense. The Labour party seem to agree with me, and she had to step down as a Shadow Home Secretary, because she was in danger of costing Labour the election. They said she had stepped down indefinitely, due to illness, but lo and behold she was back within 2 weeks, once the election was over.

You're saying that people complain about what she says because she is a black woman, and I take issue with that. I don't criticise politicians based on their gender or race, I do so based on their actions.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Seriously? I think Diane Abbott talks a lot of nonsense. The Labour party seem to agree with me, and she had to step down as a Shadow Home Secretary, because she was in danger of costing Labour the election. They said she had stepped down indefinitely, due to illness, but lo and behold she was back within 2 weeks, once the election was over.

You're saying that people complain about what she says because she is a black woman, and I take issue with that. I don't criticise politicians based on their gender or race, I do so based on their actions.

I suppose me saying that white men criticising Diane Abbott on account of her being a black woman could be construed as just being political correctness gone mad.

Yet the same people are outraged about Jeremy Corbyn saying 'stupid woman' and surely this outrage is just political correctness gone mad as well.

This is so confusing.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
By calling someone a stupid woman, it implies all women are stupid.
He could have said don't be stupid.

Of course it ****ing doesn’t!

He was directing it at an individual. Hence woman and not women.

Now if he’d said women are stupid, then your statement might have some logic to it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suppose me saying that white men criticising Diane Abbott on account of her being a black woman could be construed as just being political correctness gone mad.

Yet the same people are outraged about Jeremy Corbyn saying 'stupid woman' and surely this outrage is just political correctness gone mad as well.

This is so confusing.
WTF? On the one hand, you're saying people cannot criticise somebody who is not a white man. That's not political correctness gone mad, that's just madness.

On the other hand you're saying it's political correctness gone mad to criticise what Corbyn is alleged to have said. Well, I strongly disagree, but at least you have an argument to make with that one.

It is sexist. Some of you are too set in your ways to accept that. Ok.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Rough sleeping up 168%
1,000 made homeless every month
1 in 200 now sleeping rough (320,000 people)
1 in 14 people now using foodbanks, the majority of them in work.
4.5 million children living in poverty.
Hundreds of deaths linked to universal credit.
People who were invited here in the 1950s to help rebuild Britain deported.
Two and a half years (TWO AND A HALF ******** YEARS) to sort out Brexit, but heading for no deal, which will see businesses collapse within weeks and a shortage of food and medicine.

Yet you call the leader of the opposition a "vile individual" for (allegedly) calling the person who instigated these atrocities "a stupid woman".

Have a long, hard look at the utter state of yourself.

The most in-depth, extreme "whataboutary" since a Republican, Trump-supporter last spoke!!

Whlst I am only disagreeing with one statement in your list (Anyone running a business so absolutely dependent on tariff-free trade with other EU countries that they would be bust in weeks... shouldn't be running a business. They were f**ked anyway), the entire post represents the biggest pile of steaming sh*t I have read today.

Just because people commit murders doesn't mean we shouldn't be arresting thieves.
Just because the country is having a homelessness crisis, doesn't mean that JC (or, indeed, any Chelsea fan) should be excused for using discriminatory language publically.

Oh... and crises such as homelessness take years / often decades of cascading cause/effect issues to come about.

I could track it back to and blame people being paid too little. But that, in some ways, tracks back to many businesses struggling to meet an ever increasing wage bill. But that is partially the result of a consumerist society where people turn to debt rather than doing without. But that could be blamed on TV advertising and consumerism in general. So, with similar sweeping statements to blaming the entire homelessness crisis on May, I have made similar sweeping statements that lands it squarely at the door of ITV.

Complex problems are NEVER solved by making sweeping generalisations about the cause.
And the existence of BIG problems does not mean those make little ones get a free ride.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I have issues with Diane Abbott, the principal one being that she comes across as a fcking idiot. I know she went to Cambridge, but I've never known a Labour politician to dodge questions so readily. She's absolutely useless.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I have issues with Diane Abbott, the principal one being that she comes across as a fcking idiot. I know she went to Cambridge, but I've never known a Labour politician to dodge questions so readily. She's absolutely useless.

There's lots of useless, Cambridge educated, idiot politicians at Westminster. Chris Grayling, who was also a Shadow Home Secretary, would be an example of just one and there's plenty more to choose from. Yet Diane Abbott gets more derision, abuse and direct threats than any other Westminster MP though and there's so much unhealthy interest in her. If a thread is started on NSC with 'Diane Abbott' in the title it's like moths to a light-bulb, for example.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's lots of useless, Cambridge educated, idiot politicians at Westminster. Chris Grayling, who was also a Shadow Home Secretary, would be an example of just one and there's plenty more to choose from. Yet Diane Abbott gets more derision, abuse and direct threats than any other Westminster MP though and there's so much unhealthy interest in her. If a thread is started on NSC with 'Diane Abbott' in the title it's like moths to a light-bulb, for example.

Possibly (probably in fact), but she absolutely doesn't help herself at all.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
would have more respect for May if she has risen above the comment and simply stated that they were all there to debate whats best for the country etc etc

Instead it descends in to what its always been since the referendum was announced .... tit for tat point scoring.

Sort it out . ALL OF YOU

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't know if I like Diane Abbott or not, but lets say she is a brilliant mind, is it not time we accepted politicians for their talent, not whether they can eat a bacon sandwich well, or how well they come across? John Major, a lovely bloke by all accounts, perhaps as left leaning a Conservative Prime Minister we've known, lambasted because he wasn't charismatic enough, and pretty much undermined by his own party half the time. Although I do look at Rees-Mogg and instantly detest him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Chris Grayling, seriously, what strings did Daddy have to pull!!??

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here