Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Christmas Markets. Are you a MUG.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yonks ago we were in Prague during the build up to Christmas, naturally the main square was one massive Christmas market.

They sold hot rings of doughnut/cake type things, covered in cinnamon and sugar.

You know when you've eaten something, bad, very bad and your stomach goes on a spin cycle, well these things did that to me.
I had no more than 5 minutes between first bite and the full length of my digestive system being liquified.

Fortunately I just made it to a nearby McDonalds before everything that was inside my body vacated the premises.

They were so nice I had 2 more over that weekend, with the same results. :lolol: :facepalm:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Haven't been to any in Germany admittedly, but was surprised to find that the one in Leeds was much better in terms of atmosphere and quality of stuff on offer* compared to the tat in Bruges.

*whilst ignoring the jewellery stall called "Crystal Palace"
Bruges was very poor in terms of quality and very expensive this year. I’ve been going for a few years I might have a rethink next year

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What surprises me is how busy the Xmas Market on the South Bank always is.

Must be more mugs in London than Manchester

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yonks ago we were in Prague during the build up to Christmas, naturally the main square was one massive Christmas market.

They sold hot rings of doughnut/cake type things, covered in cinnamon and sugar.

You know when you've eaten something, bad, very bad and your stomach goes on a spin cycle, well these things did that to me.
I had no more than 5 minutes between first bite and the full length of my digestive system being liquified.

Fortunately I just made it to a nearby McDonalds before everything that was inside my body vacated the premises.

They were so nice I had 2 more over that weekend, with the same results. :lolol: :facepalm:

Believe me if you had food poisoning you wouldn't have gone back i can assure you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Believe me if you had food poisoning you wouldn't have gone back i can assure you.

I certainly didn't have food poisoning, which is probably why I never mentioned food poisoning.

Something about these cake things reacted with something inside me, with devastating (for the toilet) effect.
I was perfectly fine, before, during and after, although I was a little lighter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bruges was very poor in terms of quality and very expensive this year. I’ve been going for a few years I might have a rethink next year

I went to Bruges a few years ago, and was very disappointed.
The shops were a lot better. I bought a beautiful table runner with embroidered poinsettias on it for €12, and four Belgisn lace window decorations for the glass door between our living room & kitchen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I certainly didn't have food poisoning, which is probably why I never mentioned food poisoning.

Something about these cake things reacted with something inside me, with devastating (for the toilet) effect.
I was perfectly fine, before, during and after, although I was a little lighter.

Cinnamon & nutmeg can have that effect.
A colleague misread a recipe by putting tbsp of nutmeg in a cake, instead of a tsp, ending up in A&E. He had no idea he was allergic to nutmeg.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Guy is a bit a t*t, 2 min 30, taking shite and trying to blame for EU for a £5 sausage. LOL

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Went to the gendarmenmarkt in Berlin 2 years ago and loved it. Nothing quite like a big fat sausage and a steaming glass of gluhwein

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Cologne last December. The best Christmas market I've ever been too and makes anything in this country look plain. The exchange rate didn't help with prices but enjoyed it so much that we're returning next year.
Hyde Park must be the worlds biggest rip-off though.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think you go to a Christmas Market looking for bargains , its a show you can walk around for free taking in the atmosphere and smells (cooking). You don't need to buy the tat.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have a question about Christmas Markets in relation to Sunday Trading hours ?

I was going from Birmingham to London. My train was at 11.15am

I had to go to a Birthday Party on the Sunday and go into the office in London on the Monday but realised when I got to the train station that I had only put one shirt in my bag so I decided to go into Primark and purchase another shirt to use for one of the days.

Before going into the shop the Christmas Markets were really busy and trading merrily away in true Christmas Spirit.

Getting to the counter of Primark they made me wait till 11am before they could ring through my shirt due to Sunday Trading Laws, causing me to almost miss my train to London.

How is it that they can trade before 11am but not larger retail stores can't just 10 yards from each other ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I was going from Birmingham to London. My train was at 11.15am

I had to go to a Birthday Party on the Sunday and go into the office in London on the Monday but realised when I got to the train station that I had only put one shirt in my bag so I decided to go into Primark and purchase another shirt to use for one of the days.

Before going into the shop the Christmas Markets were really busy and trading merrily away in true Christmas Spirit.

Getting to the counter of Primark they made me wait till 11am before they could ring through my shirt due to Sunday Trading Laws, causing me to almost miss my train to London.

How is it that they can trade before 11am but not larger retail stores can't just 10 yards from each other ???

I believe Sunday trading is limited to 6 hours. Most shops choose to open 10am-4pm, but can opt to open from 11am-5pm.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I don't think you go to a Christmas Market looking for bargains , its a show you can walk around for free taking in the atmosphere and smells (cooking). You don't need to buy the tat.

... said Pascal LeStallholder, president of the European Christmas Market Traders Association yesterday, just before being sacked. :lolol:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Because Sunday trading laws don't apply to streetmarkets or small shops.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The one near me is now an improvement on last year's, but still not a patch on the four Christmas markets scattered around Dusseldorf when I went a couple of years ago. Most of the stalls here are independent retailers who have a shop on the outskirts of the city, just selling their tat at inflated prices to try and cover their losses earlier in the year. Fair play to them for trying to eke out a living, but my sympathy falters when they take the public for mugs.

Here, there's two fudge stalls, a stand selling tea-stained maps (my description, probably not theirs), and another one selling 330 ml bottles of mead for seven quid. As someone mentioned above, I go to have a browse and a wander, but I leave my wallet at home so I'm not tempted to waste myt money on a hand-crafted weather vane or a pencil sketch of the Exe Valley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here