Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Why is it so hard to get a job?

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
typical Tobies wanting there kids to go to uni but all that happens is that they learn to be lefties eating queenoa and riding bicycles didnt go there myself and ive been a success innit

Two words

University of life

regards
DR

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I'm definitely in the 'don't bother with uni' camp, regardless of whether you end up paying the loan back or not.

My partner went to uni and is now a fully qualified early years teacher. She's managed to find full time work in that field and after almost three years, she's still earning less than £20k a year.

I didn't go to uni but found a low level job, worked hard and progressed. I'm now a partner earning significantly more than she ever will. I don't know anyone my age who finished uni and earns more than me. But I do know a few that earn more and didn't go to uni.

Uni is only beneficial if its absolutely necessary for your career e.g. doctor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you took 100 people who went to uni and 100 who didn't which group would you think overall did/would do better in life?

I think the results would be a lot closer than you think. There's a big difference between going to a good Uni and studying something you specifically want to work in when you get out, and going to Uni because you don't know what else to do, or because your parents make you. I would wager that people in that second group would generally do worse in life than people who didn't go.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
typical Tobies wanting there kids to go to uni but all that happens is that they learn to be lefties eating queenoa and riding bicycles didnt go there myself and ive been a success innit

Two words

University of life

regards
DR

Keenwah.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I went to uni for the scene and hated it at the uni I went to, I did a course simply because I got the best A level Grade in it, with no realistic career path in my mind and when I got there I switched off it almost straight away.
I never looked at the Uni I went to in person before I went, if I had done I wouldn't have gone there :( as I've very much preferred the ones I've gone and looked at this year.
And also I didn't deal with my mental health issues that got very bad in the months before I went and had been on and off for quite a few years.
I did the opposite to all of this when I applied this year.
But I want to work in finance and I can in theory do that without going to uni at all and just working my way up somewhere, albeit it's much harder to get an opportunity to go down that route.

I went to Uni. I chose a subject which I was decent at and in particular, a course which had a high employment rate amongst it's graduates.

Out of my closest mates, about half went to uni and half didn't. We're all doing fine. You don't need uni and if you choose wrongly it can be a total and utter waste of time (unless you're just going for the "experience", in which case, fine, but it's an expensive bloody experience)

If you want to work in finance, do everything you can to get an entry-level job at Amex. They have TONS of jobs going all the time and the internal structure is designed to facilitate progression. You've got a very clear pathway there if you want to do well.

They used to use Manpower to employ everyone on a temp contract for 6 months first before giving people the opportunity to be recruited. Give them a call maybe?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Two words

University of life

regards
DR

Great post.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have a young son and if he doesn't want to go to Uni I will drag him there or disown him.

If you took 100 people who went to uni and 100 who didn't which group would you think overall did/would do better in life?

I assuming, or indeed hoping, that some of your comments have been a bit tongue in cheek. I have three children - one academic, two not so much - and two of them are already starting to think about what they want to do after GCSEs and A Levels. There is no way I'd pressure them to go to Uni. If they choose to go that way then I will support them but what we've laid out is all their choices and, with guidance, it's entirely up to them what they decide to do. Uni is not the silver bullet to employment and high wages people make out.

I work for a very successful local technology company, virtually none of the directors have degrees and the two owners, now multi millionaires, do not either. A large percentage of the workforce do not have degrees either - neither do those with degrees get paid more - you get paid for a role, not for your qualifications. In fact throughout my career the most successful people I've worked with and for have not had degrees. I've conducted over 200 interviews in my career and the number of graduates that come to the interview with some sense of entitlement is flabbergasting. It's time this idea that a degree is a requirement just to have a decent job needs quashing - it's frankly not true.
[MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION] - it's hard being out of work. Mrs W and I have been out of work for a total of 2.5 years combined in the last 5 years. The problem you have is that employers take the piss because it's an employers market and recruitment consultants / agencies are generally CJTC's. Try and approach employers directly - it's often worth randomly searching local employers websites for vacancies. Unfortunately it sometimes comes down to luck - we happened to be in the local pub talking to the landlord about my Step Daughter looking for part time work whilst at college. He immediately asked her to pull a pint and then offered her a job. Right time, right place. You will find something I'm sure - just don't listen to the idiots that say it's easy to find a job - it bloody well isn't ! Good Luck !!!!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you want to work in finance, do everything you can to get an entry-level job at Amex. They have TONS of jobs going all the time and the internal structure is designed to facilitate progression. You've got a very clear pathway there if you want to do well.

They used to use Manpower to employ everyone on a temp contract for 6 months first before giving people the opportunity to be recruited. Give them a call maybe?

This is very good advice. A few years ago my son and his g/f moved in with me for nearly a year because they were struggling to make ends meet. Both took jobs at call centres initially, just to get some money coming in. Within about six weeks they both had their foot in the door at Amex. With nearly a year's work at Amex on their CVs, it opened all sorts of doors in the finance sector and they've never looked back.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm definitely in the 'don't bother with uni' camp, regardless of whether you end up paying the loan back or not.

My partner went to uni and is now a fully qualified early years teacher. She's managed to find full time work in that field and after almost three years, she's still earning less than £20k a year.

I didn't go to uni but found a low level job, worked hard and progressed. I'm now a partner earning significantly more than she ever will. I don't know anyone my age who finished uni and earns more than me. But I do know a few that earn more and didn't go to uni.

Uni is only beneficial if its absolutely necessary for your career e.g. doctor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Going to university is a lot more than how much you will earn at the end of it. Some people are passionate about becoming a nurse or a teacher, but they will never earn huge amounts, but they may well be doing something they love and that contributes massively to society. Some will discover more about themselves, what they want to do, how they can contribute and where their place might be.

If we extend your logic to a comparison about earnings, then we are going to be seriously in trouble in our health care, education and other trained sectors that we rely on as a society.

How can you say university is only beneficial if absolutely necessary? Is that like saying any form of education is only necessary if it improves your salary potential? What about all the research, science, creativity; from novelists, to artists, to film makers and all the things we love to enjoy with our hard earned money? Philosophers, thinkers, inventors, of course they don't need to go to university to do this, of course they don't, but when is extending your education not beneficial?

I've got 3 kids and will neither push them or put them off furthering their education or pursuing what they want to do. But I am far from saying it's only beneficial for a specific career path.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We're going to have a shortage of computer programmers numbering 10s of thousands in the UK by 2020.

My advice - go back to University, get your degree and use your final year to try to get into computing....
pays magnificently as well.

This.

I left college at 17, went to work in offices, bumbled my way into Tech and am now earning more than I thought I would be at 32. All without the benefits of any qualifications past my three GCSE's at grade C.

The whole idea of University being the key to unlocking a "good" life is so outdated.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This.

I left college at 17, went to work in offices, bumbled my way into Tech and am now earning more than I thought I would be at 32. All without the benefits of any qualifications past my three GCSE's at grade C.

The whole idea of University being the key to unlocking a "good" life is so outdated.

Employers in the IT industry, in my experience, will nearly always prefer a candidate with as little as a year's relevant experience over a graduate with no experience.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Employers in the IT industry, in my experience, will nearly always prefer a candidate with as little as a year's relevant experience over a graduate with no experience.

Yeah that's been my experience too.

On one hand it makes perfect sense; you want someone in who already has real world experience. On the other hand that graduate with no experience isn't ever going to get it if nobody takes a punt on them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I know 2 people that earn £400k+ pa and 1 of them went to uni and 1 didn't. Really think it is down to type of person of you are and what field you end up in. Some fields (lawyer, medicine, progamming) you have to go to uni for so guess it all depends on what job you want to do or think you are suited for. Myself I'm only member of my team that didn't go to university and have never found it held me back.

Learn a trade and you'll earn good money in the short term but unless you make the step up to running your own business and employing people you'll be earning the same money at 55 as you were at 25.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

:wave: - that is indeed true.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
On one hand it makes perfect sense; you want someone in who already has real world experience. On the other hand that graduate with no experience isn't ever going to get it if nobody takes a punt on them.

Part of the problem, which I touched on in my previous post, is that graduates expect a higher salary. I've interviewed for many junior helpdesk engineers. I can get someone with a years basic experience for £18-£20k. When I ask graduates with no experience what their salary expectations are I've not had one mention that range. One even said £30k !!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair if you can't get a job these days doing anything you must be very lazy or bloody useless:)

To be fair, if you have ended up living in Swindon you must be pretty useless as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Two words

University of life

regards
DR

Spot on. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Who wouldn't want their son to turn out a hoolie apologist with the literary skills of a chimp spending all day on a message board and failing feebly to put down just about anyone who is clearly more intelligent than him? i.e. everyone.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I like to get my 7 year old to read your posts on here and tell him "there you go son, I want you to be like HIM when you grow up".

Last edited:

We're going to have a shortage of computer programmers numbering 10s of thousands in the UK by 2020.

My advice - go back to University, get your degree and use your final year to try to get into computing....
pays magnificently as well.

I'd second this. Our industry is empty of talent, we're eager for people young or old to jump in, learn and have a great career.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here