Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We’ll stay up, no problem. We aren’t great away from the Amex generally - and we’re bedding in players to change that, most of whom haven’t even played a training game with their teammates. 13th I reckon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I completely disagree with you.
We had a pre season which was claimed to prepare us to press teams for the whole 90 minutes. We didn't press them for 45!
Surely with weeks of pre season, we shouldn't need a wake up call we should be up and running.

I am not whinging. Just very disappointed at a pathetic performance from my team. Naive in defence where Deeney outwitted Duffy every challenge.Unable to string a few passes together unless they went backwards.
But you keep your positive view and criticise anyone who disagrees.

I don't know that I'd describe myself as positive. I'm not trying to suggest it was a good performance or we should be happy about the game and the result. I'm certainly not of the opinion that people can't highlight issues they feel are a concern (I hate the term 'bedwetting' to any poster who dares to suggest a performance/result is anything less than the best ever). Of course there are things to be concerned about, things to moan about. But there should also be perspective.

I just happen to disagree that if your response to a loss (or going a goal or two down away from home) isn't :tantrum: :tantrum: :down: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :annoyed: :annoyed: :cry: :cry: :cry: :shootself :shootself :shootself then you must be absolutely delighted. That it's either negative or positive. There are a lot of posts to keep up with in these match day threads, the post of yours I quoted was simply an example of this either/or dichotomy, and I didn't track back to see whether you'd said anything that the other posters were complaining about being whinges. Looking at your comment I don't have any issue with it.

I'm also, not particularly happy we didn't win this game, but I also disagree that losing the opening game, away, to a team we didn't beat away last season, a team that can be considered an established premier league side, is 'the worst possible outcome'.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
We’ll stay up, no problem. We aren’t great away from the Amex generally - and we’re bedding in players to change that, most of whom haven’t even played a training game with their teammates. 13th I reckon.

I want a pint of what you're drinking.

Make that two.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It certainly looked like Watford were quicker all around the pitch. They pressed when we had the ball causing us to panic. Our passing was sloppy and it seemed we ran out of ideas when they scored their 1st. What we need to do is have 3-4 days rest because we seemed knackered. I can't see 4-5 players playing after a couple of weeks when the new signings are up to speed. There are 6-8 teams fighting to stay up and by this showing we are one of them. Saying that if we stay up this year it is a successful season.

This is something that worries me. We seem to really struggle when we're faced with a constant, fast press. It's like our kryptonite. I really hope the new players are better able to cope with it otherwise we're relying on other teams not being smart enough to employ it against us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The only new player to start was Bernardo who was doing ok until he was moved to right back where he was awful as per Wimbledon, so who did we have 'to bed in".? Obviously more will follow as they get training with the team but at the moment the outlook is very grim.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am usually very supportive of CH and the team and therefore fall into the "licker " group as decided by the NSC hierarchy.

Despite that today was awful and there needs to be a significant improvement in energy, passing and attitude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is something that worries me. We seem to really struggle when we're faced with a constant, fast press. It's like our kryptonite. I really hope the new players are better able to cope with it otherwise we're relying on other teams not being smart enough to employ it against us.

Happened a lot last season, we do not like being pressured. Maybe the new players are skilful enough to deal with it, got to hope so anyway

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Happened a lot last season, we do not like being pressured. Maybe the new players are skilful enough to deal with it, got to hope so anyway

I'm mildly hopeful. Bissouma showed some quick feet, Ali J should be able to play at pace, Andone has lots of spanish league experience and Montoya is a) Spanish and b) a former Barcelona player. Hopefully those players combined with Izquierdo, Propper, Knockaert, Gross should have the ability to at lest not fall apart at the merest hint of a press.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Words that should be banned after our games

Bedwetters and er er. No just bedwetters actually.
Absolutely. Totally twattish word. Perhaps a mod could give it the 'Mike.Dean' treatment so that it is automatically reprocessed to read, say, 'people more intelligent than me'?

I wonder who will start the ' should Chris be sacked thread' tonight.
Much as I detest the use of the word, I might make an exception for whoever does this!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Obviously with video analysts, other clubs do very easily spot it and plan to emulate the game plan. IMO that happened last season in our dodgy Nov to Jan, when clubs copied the Albion beating blueprint of teams that had successfully nullified our limited threats. After which CH changed some starting personnel.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We were so bad it is difficult to know where to start the repair job.

Has Montoya got his work permit etc so eligible for selection if not its back to Schelloto as Bernardo is not a right back for sure.

Bernardo was forced to cover due to injury, he won't be starting there next game for certain. He looked pretty good at left back and became massively unsettled by the need to switch wings. It's no surprise that Knocky's performance went down hill after Bruno went off, hopefully he can get an understanding with Montoya pretty quickly as he struggles all the time when he's not got Bruno behind him.

Montoya doesn't need a work permit being Spanish, we won't have got international clearance from the Spanish FA in time for todays game considering he signed so late on Thursday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here