Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok so now the Team Sky and Davy B debate has died down, I'm going to weigh in as I have some time.

Cycling must have been the last 'professional' sport to still be 'steak and eggs' for breakfast amateur.
The answer 'because we've always done it like that' gets right on my tits and clearly Brailsford's as well.
Yet that has always been cycling's mantra and it needed a good shake up.

Marginal Gains did make Sky smarter than everybody else, and it paid dividends - chapeau.

The problem I've had with MG is that you can only go to the well so many times, to me it feels like Sky haven't learned to say 'no'.
I don't expect them to rest on their laurels but by the same token you can't reinvent the wheel, so stop claiming you are.

Every once in a while a little nugget pops up, a la Froome's Giro winning break, the planning that went into that and I think you've got to say well done, you out smarted everybody else.

Regarding MG I don't believe Sky has stepped far enough back from 'the line'.
They have every right to walk up to it, many teams in the past charged right though it, but I don't think Sky have ever really attempted to be clearly behind it.
Which brings me onto my next point, the one constant of Team Sky's reign has been their PR has been shitehouse, proper proper shitehouse.
It feels like every option they've been given they have always taken the wrong one, which in itself is pretty impressive.

Finally do any of us actually support a team?

I don't, the nearest I get is GarminEFDrapacCannondaleMrsMigginsPiesShop, primarily because their PR is the exact opposite of Sky's.
But I couldn't name their roster, I'd never buy a kit, and definitely wouldn't stand on the roadside chanting 'give us a G' :lol:

I guess I'm saying overall I'm broadly in favour of Sky and Brailsford's approach, but I just wish they did it with a little more panache.
(although I think Matt Smith quoted someone else in commentary, words to the effect of 'Team Sky win because they have no flair').

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am indeed in French France. The French don't like Sky, at all, but begrudgingly find it difficult to dislike G. As would anyone.

The anti-Sky attitude was summed up very well in that article you posted earlier - it's a bit like anti Man U, Real Madrid etc. attitudes.

But everyone loves G.

The difference is the MU, Real etc. command the greatest share of TV and media rights, then likewise sponsorship / advertising. Cycling is majorly reliant on sponsorship (rather than TV rights, merchandising, ticket sales etc.) and so the more you win the greater your revenue. I don't remember them complaining when Renault invested heavily in cycling with Hinault and Fignon winning 6 out of 7 races. Winning brings in the largest share of sponsorship, and if you invest it wisely, you will have the best chance of continuing to win and increasing your revenue.

I don't think it's all about the money though is it either. Sky's sole commitment to GC is also not in their spirit of the race. To be abusing support staff just doing their jobs is all a bit much though. I'm not a Sky fan by any means, but anything that upsets the French that much I find myself behind them!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does Thomas have asthma too?

I know you’re joking, and I did chuckle, but it is also worth noting Thomas has never had a TUE, the strongest medication he’s had (on record) is ibruprofen when he broke his hip. I think he is genuinely, unpretentiously one of the good guys.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am indeed in French France. The French don't like Sky, at all, but begrudgingly find it difficult to dislike G. As would anyone.

The anti-Sky attitude was summed up very well in that article you posted earlier - it's a bit like anti Man U, Real Madrid etc. attitudes.

But everyone loves G.

Lemond, Roche senior, faced spitting, urine thrown in the Giro and Le Tour.

Whilst Sky was barely a twinkle in Murdoch’s eye.

Xenophobia and jealousy are pervasive in certain other countries.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Lemond, Roche senior, faced spitting, urine thrown in the Giro and Le Tour.

Whilst Sky was barely a twinkle in Murdoch’s eye.

Xenophobia and jealousy are pervasive in certain other countries.

The vast majority of French cycling fans, of French people in general, would condemn these actions. To say that this behaviour is pervasive is disingenuous.

\when you come from the UK it is difficult to suggest that other countries have a problem with xenophobia.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and look what happens when we don't have one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...ied-help-win-stage-2018-tour-de-france-388797

“It was a sprint stage so it was one I was targeting,” Cavendish wrote.

“But with around six or seven kilometres remaining I got separated from my team-mates and ended up on the outside of the group, in the wind. I was never going to get back up on my own. Then all of a sudden I hear a voice. ‘Cav!’ I look right and it’s G. He was like: ‘Come on mate, I’ll get you back up there.’

“Afterwards I messaged him and said: ‘Listen mate, thank you so much, but don’t be wasting your energy on me. Keep everything for these three weeks. You can do this.’ But that’s G. His reply was: ‘I will always help if I can.’ He is selfless to a fault.”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

Did I mention elitist bellendary?

:wink:

Yep that was the bit i was agreeing with, and rule 9. :lol:

I mean Strava is a social media platform, not a race just f**k off back to Russia.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A new set of Rules for those of us who think that the Velominatti ones, whilst amusing, have inevitably led to elitist bellendary: http://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules-of-cycling-aka-philuminati/

As time goes on though, you do evolve and some rules do make sense. As an example, I used to think I needed one of those saddle bags for tools, tubes and the like, but now more than happy to stuff all that crap in my jersey*. I actually feel better for it, I don't know why, and I'm faster because of it too.**

* do you remember how many times I got something out of my jersey that time we did with Wiggle Long One!?
**that probably isn't true, if Strava that racing app is anything to go by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here