Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No ratings thread?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Murray won some headers, but there was a need for Gross to be closer as any header won today was pointless.

That’s not down to Murray, but analysing his game, he had little impact, his touch was unusually ordinary and his passing in the second half was ordinary to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know his lack of support is on CH right? It’s no coincidence they won basically every second ball yesterday, particularly from Mounier’s flick ons, and that’s because they pushed up and had men in and around him. But they did it all over the pitch because we allowed them to create overloads both centrally and in wide areas, and by us sitting so deep, we weren’t allowing ourselves to replicate that by getting close to Murray.

I’m still angry about yesterday - the players should be ashamed, but so should CH.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You know his lack of support is on CH right? It’s no coincidence they won basically every second ball yesterday, particularly from Mounier’s flick ons, and that’s because they pushed up and had men in and around him. But they did it all over the pitch because we allowed them to create overloads both centrally and in wide areas, and by us sitting so deep, we weren’t allowing ourselves to replicate that by getting close to Murray.

I’m still angry about yesterday - the players should be ashamed, but so should CH.

I agree. Completely isolated, but his touch was poor yesterday.

Gross was never close enough the entire game, indeed we were so poor, that it felt we’d adopted a safety first perspective.

Solly did ok as did Izquierdo at times, but I am struggling to remember one decent cross for Murray to attack in open play.

Felt Wagner outthought Chris yesterday.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I agree. Completely isolated, but his touch was poor yesterday.

Gross was never close enough the entire game, indeed we were so poor, that it felt we’d adopted a safety first perspective.

Solly did ok as did Izquierdo at times, but I am struggling to remember one decent cross for Murray to attack in open play.

Felt Wagner outthought Chris yesterday.

I agree, he had his worst performance in a while and got visibly more frustrated by the poor ref and the lack of support. But it’s tactical as much as anything. They overloaded the wide areas and stopped us getting many crossings opportunities. Yet our wide men were still a threat, just of a different variety. We troubled them most when running in behind, and it was so plain to see, yet we left our fastest players as auxiliary full backs meaning that there was no one to get close to anything Murray did get a hold of.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ryan - 7
Schelotto 5 Good attacking, not so great defending, agree that he had to cover Duffy
Bong - 7 - my MoM
Dunk - 6
Duffy - 1 Just appalling
March 5 Lucky goal, would rather have seen Locadia again.
Propper would have been a 9 had he put the early chance away and not got sent off. As it was a 5 at best - effectively lost us two points despite that brilliant turn and some good passing and break up play
Stephens 6
Izquierdo 7 I love him more and more each game TBH. We need to stay up purely on the basis that I want to see more of him next season. Shame about the one on one or would have been MoM
Gross 5 Miles away from Murray
Murray 5 Game to forget

Ulloa 5
Kayal 6

Wagner has the beating of Hughton tactically, as did Klopp. You have to admire those two whatever you think of them.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
When Murray came off I thought we needed something completely different, like a Sam baldock, a bit of pace.

Agreed. Plan A wasn't working with Murray so it was unlikley to work by replacing like for like with Ulloa. Locadia or Baldock at least offer something different.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Why oh why oh why does Izzy not take people on and produce pinpoint crosses? Wingers are there to do that, like KLL used to. Turn at defenders, twist them every way 'til Tuesday then run past them. He seems to slow the game up, holding it then playing it backwards.

Sort it out man.

Not just yesterday either.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You can bet your life Wagner did:
1. Mass man mark Izquierdo out of the game.
2. Over load Schelotto who attacks, leaving huge gaps in behind.
3. Isolate Murray so that he's a lone figure against two giants.
4. Mounie and Pritchard to harry our towering CB's into errors. TICK - LED TO EQUALISER.
5. Pack CM with 3 mobile and pacey types, able to win most balls against slow Gross and Propper.

Indeed, and I wonder what our homework and subsequent plan consisted of?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Izquierdo and Ulloa had shockers. Izquierdo had the ability to destroy Hudd, but did next to nothing. Ulloa was a waste of space.

Ulloa held it up even with 10 men and laid on the perfect ball for Izquierdo ‘s one on one .
How many balls did Huddersfield create like that ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you spend £14m or £16m whatever it was we spent on Locadia and you do not bring him on as an additional striker with 10 or 15 mins to go in a game that you need to win, something is seriously wrong.

He was stripped and ready to come on when Pröpper did his tackle. So that was CH plan.
Hughton rightfully then switched tack and brought on Kayal.
He also started in our last game.
Things aren’t seriously wrong.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Against the slowest two centre half’s in the premiership we started with the slowest forwards in the premiership. Wanted some pace and leaving Locadia on the bench was criminal. We have proved time an again that we bottle the big games this season. Hughton seems afraid to play teams to win and goes out not to lose. This could well back fire on him. Locadia should start from now on. Bruno should be reinstalled as captain and right back. In games we are not expected to win at least try and win them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The worst of the lot for me was our manager...
Going forward to the next two games Hughton has to grow some balls, this defensive attitude is killing us and will potentially send us down if we're not careful, get us onto the front foot Chris, for our sake and our Premier League survival..

His players need to start finishing off matches - he set the team up to create them and they did. Corners - free headers for Duffy and Dunk - missed , decent shots for Stephens, and several one on ones with the keeper , even at 10 men.
Leicester was similar and in our games before that at home we’d scored 4,3, and 3.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Against the slowest two centre half’s in the premiership we started with the slowest forwards in the premiership. Wanted some pace and leaving Locadia on the bench was criminal. We have proved time an again that we bottle the big games this season. Hughton seems afraid to play teams to win and goes out not to lose. This could well back fire on him. Locadia should start from now on. Bruno should be reinstalled as captain and right back. In games we are not expected to win at least try and win them.

He started Locadia last week.
Izquierdo , March had plenty of pace. And we created enough winnable chances.
Our last big game was against Arsenal where we won. How did Hughton manage that ?

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Ryan - 6;

Schelotto - 6;
Dunk - 6;
Duffy - 5;
Bong - 6;

March - 6;
Stephens - 5;
Propper - 6;
Izquierdo - 5;

Gross - 5;
Murray - 5.

Ulloa - 5;
Kayal - 5;

Hughton - 5;

Ref - 4;

Crowd - 3.
The crowd nor the ref cost us points today. Only the guys who are supposed to attack and those that are supposed to defend. Oh and the one who is supposed to manage. They know who they are.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He started Locadia last week.
Izquierdo , March had plenty of pace. And we created enough winnable chances.
Our last big game was against Arsenal where we won. How did Hughton manage that ?

CH cannot be blamed for poor performances from so many players. He can be blamed for being so slow to change things around though and his hand was forced by the Propper sending off. It was very obvious once we came out playing with the same incompetence as the end of the first half that he needed to shake things up quickly. Yep CH has to take some of the blame for yesterday imo.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Really? I thought he was awful and positionally appalling. Last week he was brilliant.....

All opinions [emoji2]

Yep, I agree. I was astounded that he was applauded after being shown a red too. I couldn't bring myself to applaud them off the park at the final whistle after that dire, gutless performance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've been thinking on this Murray header stuff. When have we ever really taken advantage of it? I don't recall scoring a lot of goals from people latching onto long balls he has got his head to. Even when we were dominating League One I don't remember that being a frequent source of goals. I wonder if it would have been a big source had we signed both CMS and Murray that first year in the championship, but I don't recall us ever having/using that pacey striker to take advantage of his knock downs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just watched MOTD on record and perhaps CH should get Duffy and Dunk to watch Kompany to see how a CB should attack a ball in search of a goal and even Smallings goal from another CB which showed the levels they have to achieve to be at the top and in Dunks case in contention for England.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So you think Stoke and Southampton can both generate another 3 wins? And assume that Palace, Huddersfield, Swansea and West Ham will also all finish above us?

Do we really want to leave it to chance? Losing a succession of games at the end of the season ( which we will do ) and watching the gap narrow.
Your assumption is that the obvious strugglers ( Saints and Stoke ) won't rally at all. Dangerous assumption. Football always throws up shock results in the last few weeks of every season as struggling teams throw caution to the wind and take chances. One point from the last nine isn't enough to relax yet. Too many people thought the job was done after Arsenal.
Beware complacency.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do we really want to leave it to chance? Losing a succession of games at the end of the season ( which we will do ) and watching the gap narrow.
Your assumption is that the obvious strugglers ( Saints and Stoke ) won't rally at all. Dangerous assumption. Football always throws up shock results in the last few weeks of every season as struggling teams throw caution to the wind and take chances. One point from the last nine isn't enough to relax yet. Too many people thought the job was done after Arsenal.
Beware complacency.

What makes you so sure we won't benefit from shock results?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here