Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £6 million Bid for Aden Flint Rejected

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very true but at the time we probably needed a top class centre half... looking at it now its only 2 months since MOTD said we had one of the top four centre back pairings in the league. I'm not saying Flints a bad player (quite evidently he's fairly decent) but unless Goldson is going (would love him to stay) then this is a pointless transfer.
At the time we thought we needed a replacement for Greer as our 4th. choice CB, after Dunk, Goldson and BFG. If we're just looking for someone to cover for Goldson going out on loan, £6M looks like a massive overspend.
So, I wonder what's going on? I would have thought any interest in Dunk would have been considerably reduced in the last dozen or so games.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
There are a few clubs out there with some cash to spend on a CB, Arsenal, City and Southampton etc. We all accept Lewis will go at some point so what is his value worth right now if we were to sell?

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
There are a few clubs out there with some cash to spend on a CB, Arsenal, City and Southampton etc. We all accept Lewis will go at some point so what is his value worth right now if we were to sell?

Anywhere between £30-50 million dependent on the club...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can't see the logic in Goldson going on loan when he is on the verge of the first team, especially if we want to try the 3 at the back again. That would be like sending Izquierdo or Hemed out on loan atm.

I thought the point was him to be playing regular first team football. I can't see the three at the back formation being a regular occurrence, so (possibly/hopefully in preparation for next season), the club want CG to get some games under his belt and ready if (when) Dunk goes in the summer.

I don't think Dunk will go anywhere during this window.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
IMO Dunk will be gone by Next Wed, We will get more for him now than what we would if back in Championship!

I don't think any of the 'big' clubs would pay decent money for a center back who is part of a defense that has conceded from 13 corners in just over half a season.

I addition to the above he hasn't scored a single goal this season in the top flight.

BUT

He has scored what, 4 own goals?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He'll cost a lot more than 6 million quid at this stage of the season.

I can't see them letting him go anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure why Goldson going out on loan comes as a surprise to anyone. It was the intention in the summer over and over and Hughton reiterated it again at the start of this window.
For that to happen requires incoming. And they also could do with a HGP from somewhere.

pS : Goldson has been with us for 2 and a half seasons and played hardly at all. He would have played 25 times for Ipswich if that move had gone ahead. More games than his entire Albion career.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surely you realise what the fact we are suddenly bidding for a number centre backs means...?

Means Conor Goldson is off on loan surely? Hughton said he wants to loan Goldson out, so he gets game time, but only if we get someone in to replace him.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'd be surprised if he's on anyone's list at this stage. We wouldn't sell anyway.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Whilst not having any strong feelings either regarding Flint, why would we assume they would sell when they are still well positioned for a Play off spot?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't see the logic in Goldson going on loan when he is on the verge of the first team, especially if we want to try the 3 at the back again. That would be like sending Izquierdo or Hemed out on loan atm.

CG has been on the verge of the first team all season, and has played 2 league games.
How many league games since 2015 does that put him at now?
30ish or 40ish.

Connor WILL be first choice centre back next season, so he needs to be ready.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not sure why Goldson going out on loan comes as a surprise to anyone. It was the intention in the summer over and over and Hughton reiterated it again at the start of this window.
For that to happen requires incoming. And they also could do with a HGP from somewhere.

Indeed Hughton has been quoted extensively about loaning Goldson out so he get get more game time. Reading between the lines they're prepping Goldson to be ready for when/if Dunk leaves.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anywhere between £30-50 million dependent on the club...

If I was a upper league club I would not pay that much for Dunk. 30m- 50m would make him one of the top ten most expensive defenders in international club history. Seriously ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Indeed Hughton has been quoted extensively about loaning Goldson out so he get get more game time. Reading between the lines they're prepping Goldson to be ready for when/if Dunk leaves.

Well of course that could happen. But Goldson needs games to be ready for either a Champ or a Prem season and the club needs 4 CBs, and one of those is out of contract in the summer. And doesn’t look like he’s getting a new one. All of this points to:
- Dunk staying til summer, at least.
- Goldson on loan to Champ club
- incoming CB with longer term future than Uwe, and ideally a HGP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here