Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
24 hours on, and I don't think this is going to happen. There will be some sort of compromise, maybe EU reform; maybe a second vote.

It does seem stupid to invoke a very aggressive piece of political action based on a very marginal majority. Given that the consequent actions of remain is almost nil you could have subsequent referendums to leave, but consequent actions of leave are irrevocable.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
attachment.php

I thought this was interesting and supports the OP's argument.

Attachments

• ClsY5XFUkAAK2bM.jpg
    ClsY5XFUkAAK2bM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,659

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So you voted to take our country out of Europe because you feel our politicians weren't as respectful to you as they could have been when they were negotiating our EU deal?

That's a weird reason.

No. I meant the EU leaders who gave absolutely no concessions to Cameron. They thought we were bluffing. They could have prevented this, they chose not to.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So you voted to take our country out of Europe because you feel our politicians weren't as respectful to you as they could have been when they were negotiating our EU deal?

That's a weird reason.

No more weird than for "Banter" as I've seen.

Which sadly backs up sims view on people shouldn't be allowed to vote on issues like this as we can't be trusted.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

Quoting the FTSE being up week-on-week as an indication of things not being as bad as people predicted is plain wrong. The only reason the FTSE is not down more is because sterling collapsed.

Your attempts to put a positive spin on it by selective news titbits anger me. Take a look across all the news websites of the country (not just the Telegraph/Sun/Mail), and of the world, and you will see that the consensus is that we have made a massive error.

I want to be positive and make the best of our country's decision but we really have shot ourselves in the foot here.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Our credit rating now has a negative outlook. So now it's going to cost more to borrow money and we will likely have to borrow more as taxes fall. Marvelous scenes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We will still trade with Europe but our imports will now be more expensive due to tariffs & vat. Those that export to Europe may lose customers because they can buy cheaper from within.
Yes, there may be deals done, but you can be certain they will cost more.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Don't forget that more than 63% of the electorate didn't vote to remain.

What are you doing here?! Adding the non-voters to your own side? It makes no sense.

I'm just pointing out that only 1 in 3 voted for Brexit, and 2 in 3 didn't.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well, 50.1 was enough to justify this chaos. 1.5 million votes and 4% is a pretty big margin in the context of a 2 horse race. As a separate point, all this bollox about young voters gets up my nose. Why exactly is some snot nosed 18 year olds opinion more valid than someone in their middle ages? Yeah, yeah I get their life expectancy is longer but I was a complete bell end at that age. To suggest we weigh their votes proportionally is almost laughable.

Blame Cameron for the pledge in the 1st place. Betting your career on the general public just to shut up the right wing of your party didn't need captain hindsight to tell you it was a bad idea.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Well, 50.1 was enough to justify this chaos. 1.5 million votes and 4% is a pretty big margin in the context of a 2 horse race. As a separate point, all this bollox about young voters gets up my nose. Why exactly is some snot nosed 18 year olds opinion more valid than someone in their middle ages? Yeah, yeah I get their life expectancy is longer but I was a complete bell end at that age. To suggest we weigh their votes proportionally is almost laughable.

Blame Cameron for the pledge in the 1st place. Betting your career on the general public just to shut up the right wing of your party didn't need captain hindsight to tell you it was a bad idea.

Totally agree, the blame lies directly with this government. They used the promise of a referendum to win the last general election and if they had allowed 16and17 year olds vote, would have probably won by some margin

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Have another referendum? No okay so this one is serious, really stop messing about and do it properly.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
34% voted for Cameron and the rest didn't....This is politics :)
The youngsters wanted in but to be fair they have as much knowledge as a pea and will thank us one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here