Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New TV - advice needed

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
So much choice out there, HD, Ultra HD, 4k, OED, Q-LED, smart TV's, curved, straight screen?? ?????????

What are the differences and what are peoples recommendations for what to purchase, over to the sages of NSC for advice and explanations!

Ty in advance

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can't offer you any advice, but wish you luck. We had to buy a new telly a couple of months back, and it is so damned confusing.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Go one of these in the garage, a snip at a grand for that 'retro' feel. Bargain.

crt-tv-21-inch-crt-tv.jpg

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Buy an LG 4K 52 inch. They have a remote like a Nintendo wii which is really easy to use. The quality is great. The prices good and the build quality better than Samsung imo.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Buy an LG 4K 52 inch. They have a remote like a Nintendo wii which is really easy to use. The quality is great. The prices good and the build quality better than Samsung imo.

We have the 49" version. Couldn't agree more.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We have the 49" version. Couldn't agree more.

Thirded.

Got the LG 49" smart TV last month..Netflix, Amazon, Internet...completely different experience.

The only thing I've noticed about the display is it is much less backlit than my previous Samsung so the picture looks much more natural and realistic, especially HD but it did take a few days to get my eye in.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Best advice is to walk into Richer Sounds, ideally when it is a bit quieter, and talk to one of their staff.
They know TVs, they know the technology that is here and is round the corner.
Oh, and their prices are very good.
Then, most importantly, walk out and think about it for a few days, before going back to the same shop and placing your order.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
OLED. Amazing blacks and picture definition. Even their 1080p sets are better than a lot of 4K led. OLED in 4K is stunning but they do come at a premium.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Best advice is to walk into Richer Sounds, ideally when it is a bit quieter, and talk to one of their staff.
Then, most importantly, walk out and think about it for a few days, before going back to the same shop and placing your order.

The only advice you need!

Most of their tv's have a six year guarantee INCLUDED

A story.....

I had a HD Samsung 55" which cost around £2000. After a lengthy period ( 5 years 11 months and 2 weeks ) it developed a vertical line about half an inch wide on the extreme left hand side.

I had to send a photo of the fault to Richer Sounds repair company. They remotely decided that the part needed was not available anymore and invited me to go into Richer Sounds ( London Road, Brighton ) to pick a new tv.

I walked in expecting to be guided towards the £500 sets due to the age of my set. NO! They gave me like for like. A 55" 4K Samsung (Quantum Dot) retail last September £2,400 + a brand new 6 year warranty. The tv also came with a 4K blu ray player and a couple of 4K discs! How lucky was I that my set went wrong just before the warranty expired!

Anyway, it just highlights that Richer Sounds is the place to go!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We purchased a new TV yesterday, it comes with a new eco setting, called Shearer.
This replaces the old sleep mode :cool:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats excellent advise.
i'd say dont buy the lastest tech, your paying large premium for being new. get Ultra HD 4k whatever for the next TV when they are common and better value. for size consider how close you'll be to get optimal over big, too big/close and you see the pixels or just dominate a room. curved screens arent too clever if you dont sit directly in front of them, they look great for that person but distort for everyone else.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Wait for the World Cup which will drop prices all round :)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

A story.....

I had a HD Samsung 55" which cost around £2000. After a lengthy period ( 5 years 11 months and 2 weeks ) it developed a vertical line about half an inch wide on the extreme left hand side.

I had to send a photo of the fault to Richer Sounds repair company. They remotely decided that the part needed was not available anymore and invited me to go into Richer Sounds ( London Road, Brighton ) to pick a new tv.

I walked in expecting to be guided towards the £500 sets due to the age of my set. NO! They gave me like for like. A 55" 4K Samsung (Quantum Dot) retail last September £2,400 + a brand new 6 year warranty. The tv also came with a 4K blu ray player and a couple of 4K discs! How lucky was I that my set went wrong just before the warranty expired!

That is freking awesome service. Richer sounds did similar with a Cambridge Audio Amp I bought back in the day, I assumed I had ****ed it up with my music, instant upgrade

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton

A story.....

Agree 100% with this. I dont know if they still do this but a few years back, I took out their own 3 year warranty on a piece of kit and if you didnt claim within the 3 years, you got the cost of the warranty back, equivalent to free insurance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here