Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone now feeling sorry for Sami?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It did cross my mind that the 'sacking' of Burke may have been a result of Bloom being annoyed that Sami had resigned - it did seem like Tony was doing everything he could to get Sami to stay even with all the fan pressure, so maybe there was more to him than we saw and under another structure he would have flourished. I guess we'll never find out.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
But Barber's job is all about the programmes, pies etc.

Tony is responsible for our predicament and it would seem, today, he has said plenty on the subject.

Cutting costs, a handful of people employed at the ground losing their jobs, curtailing expenditure, higher prices for his 'customers'. Trouble is, he took his eye off the ball, you don't sell pies and programmes to customers who don't show up because of the poor entertainment that is laid on. He is the conduit to the chairman and presumably has the his ear, therefore I consider him right in the firing line of responsibility, especially as we turn in another huge loss on the year.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
With the Burker bombshell hitting home, does Sami become the 'right man at the wrong time?'

Tony is admitting we haven't got a competitive squad, and that isn't down to Sami.
Perhaps Sami was unfairly treated by everybody connected to the Albion.

A fair question to ask. I think Oscar performed a miracle last season as I thought we would crash.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I do feel sorry for him , it seems he was a great bloke. I olso feel he came to the club at the wrong time.
but unfortunately he should of done better with this squad and with the club firmly behind him, the only way he was going to go was by the fans acting the way we did. There's no doubt he wasn't the only problem, but the results were just not acceptable .
the more it went on the more i wanted to vent my frustration.
If he was here now id feel like i hate him as i did last week . But now he's gone i dont, i actually hope he becomes a success in his next job and hope he does.

i actually blame bloom for him getting all that abuse from the fans, because it was clear for all to se he wasn't up to it and bloom should of sorted it out weeks ago.
anyway good luck sami ,hope it works out for you

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No just couldn't get the best out of the players at his disposal, tactics were clueless as well.... coaching job beckons

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Nope. I have seen enough of Albion over the years to know that the players are not "sh1t" bearing in mind the hoofers at Withers, Gillham, Goldstone, Billy ****ing Paynter but also that they just didnt have a clue under Sami.

I was an early wanting him out because of

"Squad rotation" nope we are not in the Europa league with an extra 50 games or whatever

Started season playing Crofts on the left hand side of MF I mean what? WHAT?

It then got worse and one win in 19 im sorry but thats rubbish no matter how you slice it.

In conclusion Sami was sadly the architect of his own downfall. So not sorry at all.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I always felt sorry for him. It was clear that he'd been let down by the recruitment but that was no excuse for the basic tactical errors he made, like:

- Persisting with flying wing backs for far too long when Bruno & Calderon clearly weren't suited to it

- JFC as a holding midfielder

- Crofts at left midfield

- No defensive midfielder at Derby, then repeating the mistake against Millwall

- Gary Gardner

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It then got worse and one win in 19 im sorry but thats rubbish no matter how you slice it.

In conclusion Sami was sadly the architect of his own downfall. So not sorry at all.

I always felt sorry for him. It was clear that he'd been let down by the recruitment but that was no excuse for the basic tactical errors he made, like:

- No defensive midfielder at Derby

- Gary Gardner
I said elsewhere yesterday that with everybody seemingly dragging the Albion to hell in a handcart, perhaps that magnified Sami's cock-ups.
Maybe he wasn't given the tools he wanted or given the time to 'live and learn'.

But those facts, for me are damning, and Derby was the point I reluctantly joined the Finn binning campaign.

I don't feel sorry for him having to leave, but had things at the club been even slightly different I don't believe he would have been the abject failure he became.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
except he had the backing of the dressing room
Since Sami left I've been trying to think of the phrase that encompasses being a nice boss makes you a crap boss.

But I'll be jiggered if I can think how it goes.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In what sense? Just because fans questioned the tactics and starting 11 doesn't really mean anything, as they were exactly the same questions that arose under Gus and Oscar. The real test is how the new manager will work this and I suspect the same questions will still be asked.

Hyypia didn't let himself down, he did his best and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

Did his best? Probably, but... his best was way, way below good enough. His tactics were a shambles from the off. His motivational skills were zero. He had to go.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But Barber's job is all about the programmes, pies etc.

Tony is responsible for our predicament and it would seem, today, he has said plenty on the subject.

In a way you are correct, simply because Tony is ultimately responsible for everything at the club. However, I would suggest that the two key individuals that have got us into this mess are now without work. Sami and Burke have failed miserably to carry out their responsibilities, and have correctly been shown the exit door. For me, the axes have fallen exactly where they should have fallen (one ax honorably dropped on the victim's own neck).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It did cross my mind that the 'sacking' of Burke may have been a result of Bloom being annoyed that Sami had resigned - it did seem like Tony was doing everything he could to get Sami to stay even with all the fan pressure, so maybe there was more to him than we saw and under another structure he would have flourished. I guess we'll never find out.

And your evidence for Sami's mysterious and extremely well-hidden skills is?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here