Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Geerts - RIP

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey, he was on the staff when I played footy for brighton boys back in the 70's!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That was my first school final was a great game you was lucky in the first half, gavers up front
you, terrer taylor in midfield, Keith was the tallest keeper I played against at school,,, second half as you say the scoombers turned it on 4-3 job done, after that if I remember moulsecoomb school won all that they came up against until we left for our senior school.

We were in Div 2 that year (won it) and I think the Baker final might have been the only game we lost all season. Did Moulscoomb win Div 1? Yeah Keith Gooders was a lamppost of a goalie, almost 6 foot at 12 yo. Gavers played halfback we had Phil Brown and Dean Pope up front, little Stevie Carroll inside right, me and Ashley Mills on the wing, Chris Bigg and Crispin McNally halfbacks and Peter Brown and Mark (Tubby) Le Masurier fullbacks. Tim Stein on the bench.

Probably was the best game I ever played in, but heartbreaking to lose.

Which senior school did you go on to? Just about all of us bar Dean Pope went to Fawcett.

PG

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
"Mr" Geerts taught me for every lesson (except music) in the fourth year at Patcham Juniors. I can thank/blame him for my obsession with football, as his enthusiasm was immense.
He was certainly responsible for my first visits to the Goldstone as he used to "force" us to buy tickets for the important Brighton Boys games that were played on Saturday mornings at the Goldstone before an Albion reserve game in the afternoon. The "force" was his inference that our chances of selection for the school team may not be as good if we did not attend the Goldstone - where we had nearly all of the old East Terrace to ourselves.
His saying that I remember is "the answer lies in the soil" which he may have had to modify in later years because he used to say it with a fake West Country accent.
His contribution to Brighton and Sussex football was immense, but I always felt that he did not always have a good opinion of the professional game.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Lots of us went to Patcham it seems. I can't honestly say that I have very happy memories of him, but as others have said "if in doubt kick it out" always stayed with me and could have been used by many a professional footballer over the years! He certainly did a vast service for local football and did inspire many across the generations. RIP

Terminator1

Oct 4, 2008
Rip tony geerts

Gutted to hear it. Never forget playing centre forward at patcham Middle school in a league game. I stood & lazily watched the opposition full back take the ball out wide at the ladies Mile End. I then heard an almighty scream behind the goal. Watching from the pavement was Mr Geerts who shouted 'Pattison go and win the ball.
He literally shocked me into action and I sprinted out to the full back, dispossessed him and then ran in on goal & with my weaker right foot slotted the ball into the right bottom corner. I wouldn't have made the run if it wasn't for him. He was strict and not to be messed with. He loved his sport. I'll never forget that memory. Thank you once again Mr Geerts.

then and now

Jan 16, 2010
We were in Div 2 that year (won it) and I think the Baker final might have been the only game we lost all season. Did Moulscoomb win Div 1? Yeah Keith Gooders was a lamppost of a goalie, almost 6 foot at 12 yo. Gavers played halfback we had Phil Brown and Dean Pope up front, little Stevie Carroll inside right, me and Ashley Mills on the wing, Chris Bigg and Crispin McNally halfbacks and Peter Brown and Mark (Tubby) Le Masurier fullbacks. Tim Stein on the bench.

Which senior school did you go on to? Just about all of us bar Dean Pope went to Fawcett.

PG

We did win Div.1,,but have you forgiven me yet as its been nearly 40yrs since that game lol lol

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Another Patcham Middle School old boy here 1976-1980 He was HM when I was there but my lasting memory was when we won the Brighton Schools Cricket Cup bowling Balfour out for 9 in the final at Varndean Oval, his response, "well that was 8 too many". In later years he would grace the boundary ropes at Horesdean and in one game when I was playing for Patcham our opener sending one down to long mid off, fielder caught it and apparently steeped over the rope, he actually came on to the pitch to remonstrate...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen · 36m36 minutes ago
Currently writing a piece about Tony Geerts, influential figure in Brighton and Sussex Schools football, who has died at the age of 92.

Those who went to Patcham junior or played against them will remember the be-whiskered behemoth that was Tony Geerts. RIP.

PG

I grew up in Brighton in the late 50s and 60s and was at Stanford Road. When I saw the thread, I thought that I recognised the name from footballing times at school. The chap was prepared to give up so much of his free time, so that kids could benefit, so all credit to him for that.
RIP Tony Geerts -and thanks for the memories.

wag chaser

Feb 18, 2009

PG

PG
All those names above bought memories flooding back.
I was at Westdene from 70-76 then on to Fawcett

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I went and watched a friends boy play for Brighton Boys, probably about 6 years ago and Tony Geerts was watching on the sidelines.

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
He was my form teacher in 1972. As a way of teaching maths, he had the class working out the goal average of the Albion, Bournemouth and Notts County who were all chasing the second promotion spot behind Villa. He also made us play 2 touch football, which was one touch to control, and the second to pass or shoot at goal. I was only 11 at the time, but it has struck me in the years since how few professional players seem to be able to do that ! As I was in both the football and cricket teams, I have fond memories of him, but I know that those who were not good at sport felt differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here