Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Love for the Albion from high in the Himalayas

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
As some of you may know I was a newspaper journalist for 28 years (an editor for about 15 of those years). I took early retirement in 2013 following a nervous breakdown, and since then run my own publishing and editing company.
Anyway, to cut a long story short… my last client was a lovely Indian lady called Saumyata, who lives in small town called Almora in the foothills of the Himalayas – just 340 miles from Everest. I edited and published her last novel and spoke daily to her on Skype. In one of those conversations her 11 year-old brother Vansh walked into the room and started chatting very shyly to me. Saumyata told me he was football mad and played football with his friends every day and tried to watch as much English premier league football on TV as he was allowed. A few weeks later she told me that since I had been editing her book, Vansh had taken to supporting Brighton and Hove Albion and was telling his friends that they are better than Manchester United! 
So without telling them, I wrote to Martin Perry and explained about Vansh and Saumyata… he asked for their address.
Anyway, I just had a phone call from a very excited Saumyata.
This is her holding what has just been delivered to their very frugal home! Vansh is so excited he can barely keep still. When he has finished his evening tuition, I will post a photo of him wearing the shirt.
Thank you so much Martin Perry and Brighton and Hove Albion for making the life of a young Indian boy so very happy!

shirt 1.jpg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now that's what I call a good news story.

Also good to hear that life is going well for you OTLW.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Fantastic, one of the reasons I love this club is that they do things like this. Martin Perry is one of my hero's for what he did for the Albion, so pleased he is still involved, and still doing good work. :salute:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I'm guessing it's the players, unless they passed it around the admin office

Ha ha ha .... brilliant... it's the secretary, the tea ladies, the ball boys, and a few club stewards!!!!!
But, no it is the players and he got a full Young Seagulls pack too with Albion gloves, which may get worn even more than the shirt!

el punal

When shirts are signed it really just becomes a bit of wall covering, we have three signed Albion shirts that are left in a drawer, great to have signatures but on a separate item so the lad can wear the Albion shirt. Just a thought.:moo:

Oh for goodness sake! Here is a wonderful story then you turn up sounding like football's Grinch. Just enjoy the moment - if that's at all possible.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh for goodness sake! Here is a wonderful story then you turn up sounding like football's Grinch. Just enjoy the moment - if that's at all possible.

No, it's a fair point - a signed shirt isn't much good to actually wear and use, not if you want to wash it from time to time.

Still a nice gesture by the club, though.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Great story and brilliant from the club.

BUT the lad won’t be able to sing “we support our local team”

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When shirts are signed it really just becomes a bit of wall covering, we have three signed Albion shirts that are left in a drawer, great to have signatures but on a separate item so the lad can wear the Albion shirt. Just a thought.:moo:

If I were him I'd send it back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Getting your sister to write a novel in order to get you a shirt is a bit OTT, shirley? Couldn't he just have waved his request on a piece of cardboard like everybody else?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Getting your sister to write a novel in order to get you a shirt is a bit OTT, shirley? Couldn't he just have waved his request on a piece of cardboard like everybody else?

Almora is 6887 km from Manchester, but only 6812 km from Brighton, so technically it's more local than the team all his mates support.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lovely story Nik, and I'm pleased things are going well for you. I know you have been through life's mangle a bit in the past.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Great story and pleased he didn’t have to hold up a cardboard sign to get that shirt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here