Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know of two women, who were charged with peverting the course of justice with false rape allegations, who were found guilty at Lewes Crown Court.

Which is different. I can't see how Bong could possibly ever be found to have slandered Rodriguez.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Anger from whom? Has Jay said he's angry and looking at a slander case, or is that just fan talk? If the former, please post a link to a quote etc.

I don't have a link handy (nor time to go find one), but I do recall hearing / reading statements from Jay that he'd contracted a lawyer. Not just for defending the FA charge, but for making an actual counter claim. The most obvious of those would be defamation (slander and/or libel - in this instance I suspect he'd go for catch-all defamation though).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Find it disturbing how the local press have clearly completely decided he is innocent. Very worrying precedent.

Is that what the article said? I could read it as the screen kept getting obscured with pop up ads and videos.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is that what the article said? I could read it as the screen kept getting obscured with pop up ads and videos.

The language used is very emotive on the side of Rodriguez's "fight to clear his name".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've just looked at the SFR footage on page 1 of this thread, and confirmed what I thought. When Rodriguez pinches his nose, his hand is over his mouth, so how is a lip reader going to help him?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

West Bromwich Albion striker Jay Rodriguez will have more time to appeal his charge of alleged racist abuse.

The FA have granted the Baggies striker an extension until March 9 as he gathers evidence to fight the charge that he strongly denies.

Rodriguez has appointed a lip reader and leading QC as he steps up his fight against the charge.

The 28-year-old has been left stunned by the FA’s decision to charge him and is determined to clear his name after Brighton defender Gaetan Bong accused the striker of racially abusing him.

The incident between Rodriguez and Bong happened during Albion’s 2-0 victory over the Seagulls earlier this year and the FA announced they would be charging the Baggies forward last week, saying he ‘used abusive and/or insulting words which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race’.

Bong alleges Rodriguez said ‘you’re black and you stink’ during the Premier League clash.

The striker is desperate to prove his innocence and is ready to use a lip reader.

The former Southampton and Burnley player originally had until Friday to respond to the charge but has requested a personal hearing as he bids to avoid a potential five-match ban.

Rodriguez is determined to clear his name and has been given extra time because of Albion's current hectic schedule.

The first-team are currently in Barcelona ahead of this weekend's FA Cup clash with Southampton.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've just looked at the SFR footage on page 1 of this thread, and confirmed what I thought. When Rodriguez pinches his nose, his hand is over his mouth, so how is a lip reader going to help him?
There must be other video we haven't seen otherwise he is wasting his time and money ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Supposedly the comment was made before the nose pinching...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's obvious players have been coached/trained to do this - they now do it all the time.........you see it even when players are leaving the pitch after a game and chatting to each other.

The case is a bit odd - seems to be down to Bong's word against Rodriguez - unless other witnesses have corroborated Bong's claim (the fact the FA have gone ahead with it implies they might have done) or there is a camera angle somewhere that has sufficient evidence to back it up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's obvious players have been coached/trained to do this - they now do it all the time.........you see it even when players are leaving the pitch after a game and chatting to each other.

The case is a bit odd - seems to be down to Bong's word against Rodriguez - unless other witnesses have corroborated Bong's claim (the fact the FA have gone ahead with it implies they might have done) or there is a camera angle somewhere that has sufficient evidence to back it up.

If the FA have charged him, surely that means they have some sort of evidence to go on?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

My first instinct in this whole episode was that the fact the referee included it in his match report was vital. Similar to the 'soft signal' in cricket.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My first instinct in this whole episode was that the fact the referee included it in his match report was vital. Similar to the 'soft signal' in cricket.

I think as a complaint was made to him, he had to - not sure this confirms whether he actually heard it or not. Same applied to him going over to the 4th official when it happened.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If the FA have charged him, surely that means they have some sort of evidence to go on?
Don't we know that - as with Tomer Hemed - an FA charge means they have initially found you guilty unless you can prove otherwise at your hearing - not the same as a court charge where the decision hasn't been made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here