Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I always felt a bit stupid with one drum (there's a similar old video for "Once More"), but you can't lug 'em all up to Beachy Head!

Yes, they are all still in Brighton, Wendy and Simon have teenage kids nowadays...
The band are really good mates, so they never really split up, just stopped playing for a bit.

They do have a thing about the Con Club in Lewes, it's almost become their version of At The Edge Of The Sea, like a convention! I know there were some people who had come a long way for that gig.

I'm just pleased they confirmed it really isn't a Tory Club! Constitutional, yes, but someone found it on the list of Conservative Association affiliated clubs. It is on the list, but apparently historic, and they have nothing to do with them...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Managed to get to see My Secret World last night and listen to a few tracks by The Catenary Wires. They in fact started the evening due to the venue having no curtains and the need for dark before the film could be showed! Sandwiched inbetween the two was a Q and A session with Clare Wadd and Matt Haynes. This began with the tongue in cheek - What is you favourite Sarah release? which obviously did not get answerd. Best question of the evening came from the audience and asked if they felt the release of the film and current Sarah interest was responsible for the high asking value of singles such as Pristine Christine on e bay etc. They answered by saying that they felt it is more to do with the relatively limited number of each vinyl being released. Which makes sense. Interestingly it cost them less to produce Pristine Christine (£300) than one single copy is sold for today! The film itself was quite excellent and consisted of a run down of almost every Sarah band that had played in chronological order of their first release. Lots of interviews and band promos. If you get a chance to see it make sure its in a village hall type of place on a make shift screen as anywhere else would just not work! Oh and added benefit that you could bring your own drinks.

Flex Your Head

Managed to get to see My Secret World last night and listen to a few tracks by The Catenary Wires. They in fact started the evening due to the venue having no curtains and the need for dark before the film could be showed! ... Oh and added benefit that you could bring your own drinks.

Was it at the West Hill Hall? I've come down for a few gigs there - Hidden Cameras, Blue Minkies, Sock Puppets and a few others - and it's great. Close to the station but suitably tucked away, and 'bring your own booze' pretty much ensures a cheap night out.
Did you enjoy Catenary Wires? I saw them last December, and in a small, cosy upstairs room of a pub with Christmas tree and lights, as evening fell outside, they sounded pretty good. Not great, and Amelia's voice struggled at times, but decent enough. I can't really imagine listening to them at any other time though.

Incidentally, full Indietracks line-up, schedule and band biographies now up - http://www.indietracks.co.uk/line-up/
49 track compilation for £3 available here - http://indietracks.bandcamp.com/album/indietracks-compilation-2015

Anyone here going along? [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Was it at the West Hill Hall? I've come down for a few gigs there - Hidden Cameras, Blue Minkies, Sock Puppets and a few others - and it's great. Close to the station but suitably tucked away, and 'bring your own booze' pretty much ensures a cheap night out.
Did you enjoy Catenary Wires? I saw them last December, and in a small, cosy upstairs room of a pub with Christmas tree and lights, as evening fell outside, they sounded pretty good. Not great, and Amelia's voice struggled at times, but decent enough. I can't really imagine listening to them at any other time though.

Incidentally, full Indietracks line-up, schedule and band biographies now up - http://www.indietracks.co.uk/line-up/
49 track compilation for £3 available here - http://indietracks.bandcamp.com/album/indietracks-compilation-2015

Anyone here going along? [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]?

Sorry, no. Will there be extensive BBC coverage via the red button? Make sure you drag Staly along to see Martha....

Flex Your Head

Sorry, no. Will there be extensive BBC coverage via the red button?

Yes, of course. And all the Sunday supplements the weekend before will contain "Your Essential Guide To Indietro", "Exclusive Indietracks Insider", and "Your Hot and Twee Indietracks Style Guide" magazines, whilst their websites will be updated with rolling news, gossip and all the latest self-conscious crowd shots.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Yes, of course. And all the Sunday supplements the weekend before will contain "Your Essential Guide To Indietro", "Exclusive Indietracks Insider", and "Your Hot and Twee Indietracks Style Guide" magazines, whilst their websites will be updated with rolling news, gossip and all the latest self-conscious crowd shots.

There was an article in one of the Sundays this week about how few female artists there were in the line ups of the major festivals. They were bigging up one of the festivals because it was something like 10% women. I thought "I bet Indietracks does loads better than that".

Flex Your Head

There was an article in one of the Sundays this week about how few female artists there were in the line ups of the major festivals. They were bigging up one of the festivals because it was something like 10% women. I thought "I bet Indietracks does loads better than that".

There was a blog that discussed gender at Indietracks after the 2012 event. An awful lot of their stats and assumptions were flawed (Shrag classified as a 'male band' because there are 3 males and 2 females in the band for example), but the actual percentages of males to females who appeared on stage were 70 / 30.

Some of the debate was quite illuminating and interesting, some of it wildly frustrating.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I assume you'll be wearing some rather short denim shorts, Hunter wellies and an anorak?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hey [MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION], your favourite band have just released a compilation. Get in there: https://jigsawrecords.bandcamp.com/album/pzl082-strawberry-story-gravy

I've got an amusing story about Kissamatic Lovebubble, but it's a bit long...

I think I've only got one release by Strawberry Story, a split 7" with Dalek Beach Party and Kind. Didn't really stick in the memory. Might have something on Waaah as well. This compilation looks a bit lengthy....

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Please tell me your lengthy boring story about Kissamatic Lovebubble, Staly

Well, ok, although I've realised that it was the song 26 that was involved, not Kissamatic Lovebubble.

Anyway, there was a bloke I used to know who really didn't like me at all. One of those people you meet who takes an instant dislike to you for no apparent reason, and any attempt that you make to engage them in conversation merely makes things worse. We were once in a room with a group of people playing records and somebody put a Strawberry Story single on, the one with 26 on. Only they put it on at 33 instead of 45, to general comments that it actually sounded better that way.

Went to see this bloke's band in a pub a few days later (they were supporting somebody I did actually want to see) and they announced a new song and played it. It was 26 at 33, note for note. I burst out laughing incredulously, at which point his highly strung girlfriend threw a pint of beer at me as she thought I was laughing at his band in general rather than his shameless pilfering. He came over and apologised for her afterwards as he realised why I had been amused.

His father was in the army and had to put him in a safe house a couple of years later as he fell foul of some Asian mafia types in Leeds, but that's a different story...

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Coming to think of it, I hope it wasn't Pevenseagull. He lived in Leeds for a bit. If it was, I'm sorry I laughed at your Sh*t band...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well, ok, although I've realised that it was the song 26 that was involved, not Kissamatic Lovebubble.

Anyway, there was a bloke I used to know who really didn't like me at all. One of those people you meet who takes an instant dislike to you for no apparent reason, and any attempt that you make to engage them in conversation merely makes things worse. We were once in a room with a group of people playing records and somebody put a Strawberry Story single on, the one with 26 on. Only they put it on at 33 instead of 45, to general comments that it actually sounded better that way.

Went to see this bloke's band in a pub a few days later (they were supporting somebody I did actually want to see) and they announced a new song and played it. It was 26 at 33, note for note. I burst out laughing incredulously, at which point his highly strung girlfriend threw a pint of beer at me as she thought I was laughing at his band in general rather than his shameless pilfering. He came over and apologised for her afterwards as he realised why I had been amused.

His father was in the army and had to put him in a safe house a couple of years later as he fell foul of some Asian mafia types in Leeds, but that's a different story...

Glad I asked. He must have been listening pretty intently to copy it like that - sounds like a dangerous and intense individual. Let's hope it wasn't Pevenseagull - was he really tall and thin??

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Glad I asked. He must have been listening pretty intently to copy it like that - sounds like a dangerous and intense individual. Let's hope it wasn't Pevenseagull - was he really tall and thin??

Yes, yes he was:eek:

Forgot to mention that he borrowed the record, so it wasn't purely memory. Plus 26 has quite a catchy chorus to be fair...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here