Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off play off MATCH

el punal

A coin flip has been used before. Maybe not in the football league but I think in UEFA or FIFA qualifying. It's an alternative to the biggest bribe option.

It was done in the old Inter-City Fairs Cup (before it became the UEFA Cup) in 1966. Chelsea played AC Milan, won the home leg 2-1, and lost away 1-2. A replay was set up which ended 1-1. Chelsea then won the toss of a coin to decide who went through to the next round.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Preston 1-2 Burnley
Charlton 0-2 Brighton

Brighton 3-0 Derby
Burnley 3-2 QPR

Middlesbrough 0-2 Brighton
Charlton 1-2 Burnley

Or swap some of the results (i.e. either ours in each week, or Burnley's results in each week), or add a consistent number of goals to each of our figures. Pretty unlikely, not impossible.

Thanks for that! Agree, those results are unlikely but also not wildly so. Could be interesting.

Preston 1-2 Burnley
Charlton 0-2 Brighton

Brighton 3-0 Derby
Burnley 3-2 QPR

Middlesbrough 0-2 Brighton
Charlton 1-2 Burnley

Or swap some of the results (i.e. either ours in each week, or Burnley's results in each week), or add a consistent number of goals to each of our figures. Pretty unlikely, not impossible.

On these results Burnley and ourselves would overtake Boro in any case.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
On these results Burnley and ourselves would overtake Boro in any case.

Was going to say. Burnley and Brighton would then have a play-off for the TITLE

You are quite right.

Preston 4-1 Burnley
Charlton 0-1 Brighton

Brighton 3-0 Derby
Burnley 3-2 QPR

Middlesbrough 2-1 Brighton
Charlton 0-1 Burnley

...would do the job. (I'm assuming it's more likely that Preston thrash Burnley than Charlton...)

Jan 30, 2008
So we finish on the same points as Burnley, same goal difference , same goals scored and identical head to head then I presume that there be would a play off match with the winners going up and the losers going to play in the play offs.

That would take some arranging and would mess every other planned fixture up too.
:tumble:
regards
DR

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That's the Operations Centre. Is it also the Head office too? I though HO was in London - perhaps not?

Always up north being a northern league originally

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here