Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
you'll have to explain the humor. airlines and shipping (and plenty other industries) use simulators for training, why not rail? you'd still want real track experience, but you could cover dozens of hours of route familiaristion in a simulator.

Yeah but it's the railways innit, they like it their way or the highway.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
These threads are getting to a point where you should not be allowed to post on them.

Yes you worked on the railways, so you have some insider knowledge. However the fact that all you ever do on the train threads is call people stupid, who do not agree with you, means you are contributing nothing.

So better to have people posting idiotic comments and trolling them then ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
to be clearer, im not suggesting they replace all training with simulators, but using it for the route learning to cut the 10 years Ernest reckons it takes to learn the routes.

He didn't say that: he said it took about two years. He said it would take about 10 years if the entire workforce was replaced in one fell swoop because there'd be a shortage of experienced drivers

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
He didn't say that: he said it took about two years. He said it would take about 10 years if the entire workforce was replaced in one fell swoop because there'd be a shortage of experienced drivers

No I made it quite clear, if you want a driver at a depot like Brighton who is fully competent on all routes and traction then you're looking a driver who will have been there for 10+ years

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
So better to have people posting idiotic comments and trolling them then ?

People have an opinion....You should listen to them, you may learn something....Something your union may want to take on board too!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And no-one is talking about replacements, let alone wholesale changes because that isn't going to happen. We're talking about getting up to establishment levels with a whole load more train drivers who actually want to work.

Typical Ernest. Argues against an extreme position that no-one was proposing.

Last edited:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
[MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] here is one of them that spoils any chance of a decent debate

ha ha...Pot, Kettle.....If someone disagrees with you, you just call them a stupid idiot!

It isn't hard to dismiss most of the propaganda being spouted by both sides.... You don't need to have worked on the railways to do this.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A quote from Chris Grayling's letter to rail users.

When I met the General Secretary of ASLEF soon after my appointment, with virtually his first breath he promised me “10 years of industrial action.”

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And no-one is talking about replacements, let alone wholesale changes because that isn't going to happen. We're talking about getting up to establishment levels with a whole load more train drivers who actually want to work.

Typical Ernest. Argues against an extreme position that no-one was proposing.

To be fair, Ernest was responding to ....

If the drivers and guards don`t want their jobs....let them go and employ people who do.

That was calling for wholesale changes - which is why Ernest adopted the extreme position.

We all know that GTR is not going to sack large amounts of drivers - or any amount - the company wouldn't be able to function

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To be fair, Ernest was responding to ....

That was calling for wholesale changes - which is why Ernest adopted the extreme position.

We all know that GTR is not going to sack large amounts of drivers - or any amount - the company wouldn't be able to function
The 10 years comment was in response to my post though, wasn't it?

And I've got to say I'm surprised by Ernest's revelation that drivers aren't allowed to drive unaided for 10 years until they've memorised the entire route. You live and learn.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Sensible post/question = Sensible answer

Trolling post gets treated with contempt

Seems a bit hard for you to understand does it ?

For Trolling...replace with.... I do not agree with that opinion...Or I do not understand the question or point...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The 10 years comment was in response to my post though, wasn't it?

And I've got to say I'm surprised by Ernest's revelation that drivers aren't allowed to drive unaided for 10 years until they've memorised the entire route. You live and learn.

Would you want to be on a train travelling at 90mph with a driver not knowing where the signals, stations, speed restrictions etc were ? Drivers are trained in sections so a newbie driver is only trained on a small section which I explained in a past post, so to be a fully competent driver in a big depot like Brighton would take 10 years or more, in the past it was impossible to be one and you could do your entire life as a driver and not be fully competent in all routes and tractions at each depot.

But hey I only troll this thread so why am I responding ?

albionite

May 20, 2009
A quote from Chris Grayling's letter to rail users.

When I met the General Secretary of ASLEF soon after my appointment, with virtually his first breath he promised me “10 years of industrial action.”

Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, the train drivers’ union, spoke out this afternoon after claims made by Chris Grayling, the Secretary of State for Transport, in a letter released by the DfT.
‘The Transport Secretary is being less than honest on all counts,’ said Mick.‘Earlier this year Peter Wilkinson, the £265,000 a year director of rail passenger services, said on a public platform that the aim of the DfT is to force train drivers – men and women he derisively referred to as ‘muppets’ –‘out of my industry.’ Mr Wilkinson said he was determined to provoke industrial confrontation and, indeed, was looking forward to ‘punch ups’ with trade unions. The strikes this week are not, whatever Mr Grayling tries to suggest,politically motivated. We have a trade dispute with GTR / Southern, and only a poor government would seek to spin it any other way. I think their motives are clear.’
Mick added: ‘The Transport Secretary is also being less than honest – and utterly selective – about a private meeting I had with him held, in good faith, under Chatham House rules. We said there could potentially be issues, in the future,on GTR/Southern following his refusal to entertain the serious safety concerns we raised and given the complete breakdown in trust between the union and the company.That loss of trust now extends to Mr Grayling and the government of which he is a part.
‘I am not sure how Mr Grayling has been made party to private and confidential conversations that took place but, in the interest of fairness, he might have said that we were willing to go to ACAS last week but GTR Southern refused because they wanted to go to court. These conversations finished yesterday evening and,logistically, could not have been concluded before we had to meet with our legal teams and was not a genuine offer.
‘I am more concerned, than either the minister or the company, about the safety of our members and the travelling public, but today we will find out whether a fully or partly-owned foreign company can deny British workers the right to strike.

Shock horror a Tory mp twisting the truth again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here