Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Brighton doomed as the fixtures pile up, according to this we could be....

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Up until the 60s or 70s that was pretty much the norm. Every club had a first team, and the reserve RB, LB, left half, inside right or whatever came in if the first teamer was injured. Occasionally a reserve would force their way into the first team if the player in possession went off his form. There was no such thing as squad rotation.

You forget they were only allowed one substitute obviously given that you wont be playing as many players.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Chelsea and Man City only used 1 more player than us is an interesting stat, considering they are in Champs League and hence played more games than us.
Maybe they have a better fitness regime.
Worth sending a spies out there to take notes maybe.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You forget they were only allowed one substitute obviously given that you wont be playing as many players.

No, I didn't forget that at all. Just because they only had one sub (or no sub at all) they could still have rotated their squads, but they didn't. There was the first XI and the reserves, and most of the time that's the way it stayed.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
No, I didn't forget that at all. Just because they only had one sub (or no sub at all) they could still have rotated their squads, but they didn't. There was the first XI and the reserves, and most of the time that's the way it stayed.

Didn't need to, played more games with a heavy ball on muddy pitches then after a game where they had been kicked all over the place , a woodbine , rub down with the sporting times then out on the town for a few pints of mild, before doing it all again on Tuesday night ! Who says today's players are pampered!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Didn't need to, played more games with a heavy ball on muddy pitches then after a game where they had been kicked all over the place , a woodbine , rub down with the sporting times then out on the town for a few pints of mild, before doing it all again on Tuesday night ! Who says today's players are pampered!!!
Yes, those halcyon days before they invented cruciate ligaments, eh? :thumbsup:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I saw a stat that said Liverpool have made, I think, 54 changes to date this season which is the most in the Premier League.

I wondered if we'd made the fewest. Anyone know if there's a table of this knocking about anywhere?

And most of those would be down the left hand side... if not all of them bar the two times Murray and Hemed have switched!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Chelsea and Man City only used 1 more player than us is an interesting stat, considering they are in Champs League and hence played more games than us.

They don't have to work as hard as they have more of the ball. So not a straight-forward comparison.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Man City named only 18 players in their "25-man" squad, and Chelsea named only 21.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Don't see why it is necessarily a problem Burnley have used less players than us and still look pretty good. I think our problems are well known, we need another striker, AK not playing as well as last year in his attacking role , the midfield/winger section running a bit hot and cold. we won't meet a side as good as Liverpool every week but we should not underestimate any of the opposition nor the task ahead. 3 points at the weekend and it be 'crisis , what crisis'.

Burnley, player vs player are probably a bit stronger thans us, certainly they have more Premier League experience. As for Knockaert, I don't think it's a matter of him not playing so well, but more a case of him facing better defenders week on week.

We had managed to rise to the lofty heights of 8th in the table, but the vast majority of those games were against the lesser teams in the division. Survival this season was never going to be easy. Let's not delude ourselves, we certainly won't be finishing as high as 8th, but we need to do everything we can to fall over the line, even if it means it's in 17th place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here