Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton fans with half and half scarves

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To be honest the main points that amazed me yesterday was how many “home” fans were more excited than my two lads, and took more photos and I’d have thought the Theatre of Dreams would’ve been a cauldron of noise, I thought I’d picked the wrong ground and was at The Cricket Club

Got there fairly early and it was just an endless stream of selfies in front of the Best, Law, Charlton statue or posing in front of the ground. The megastore ( just a bit! ) was rammed at 11.30 and the half and half scarves were doing a roaring trade. I saw them being worn everywhere. Saw a number of adult Albion fans wearing them before the game and at a motorway services, on the way home. I would never buy one as it gives off the message of a ' one-off ' Yesterday proved to me that we will be visiting OT again next season and hopefully a few more times after that.
Also begs the question as to what the true hardcore figure is for those that do all home games at OT? Apparently they have 55,000 STH so that leaves about 15,000 ish for tourists, taking off 3000 for away fans. No wonder it feels like a tourist attraction. I would imagine there are some games where the number of tourists is even higher.They have a 20 year waiting list for a ST but can still sell matchday tkts all over the world and continue to build the fanbase. Clever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I bought a half and half scarf this season - a Minnesota Vikings vs Cleveland Browns one. I went to Twickenham for the game purely as a tourist, so I felt comfortable within my own skin making the purchase. Plus it was after the game, and they were flogging them off at £2 a pop so I thought what the hey.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think I was surprised at just how many evident tourists there were amongst the home support. Never mind Albion fans: there were thousands of people in United attire wearing these scarves.

I found that a bit weird at first, wondering if they collected them from every game, but then I suppose it became apparent they're almost certainly tourists. I had no idea so many match tickets were available on a game by game basis though. I'd always assumed it was very difficult to get tickets for their matches, but clearly it's not, given the myriad of accents and languages I heard being spoken yesterday.

I don't actually mind the thought of some random Swedes, Japanese or Indians having a scarf above their mantelpiece at home forever with "Brighton & Hove Albion" on one side though :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
United have a business model that attracts football tourists, as they have a higher spend that regulars. Tourists will buy some official merchandise, but also products that are a momento of the game they attended.

Although the capacity of OT is over 75,000, there are only 55,000 ST sold, factoring in 3,000 away fans leaves United to sell 17,000 tickets to daytrippers, football tourists and so on, whatever you want to call them. These people are cash cows from a seller's perspective, and that includes the club and the street traders outside the ground.

I was in the United stand yesterday, and it was clear that many STH had sold their tickets to daytrippers too, judging by the number of half and half scarves and people who didn't know the words to the (admittedly shite) songs that were being half heartedly sung (including that old favourite, 'Stevie Foster, what a difference you have made').

They're sold for a reason, that people want to buy them. It's easy to sneer at such fans, but they're different to those of us who consider ourselves to be hardcore as we follow home and away on a regular basis. Being different doesn't mean they are inferior though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I will be first in the queue to buy one on Tuesday, for what it's worth.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Indeed, should any such articles be proffered for sale on Tuesday, it will be nice to see that the many, and rightly so, who purchased such a memento of a special day yesterday, repeat such a financial transaction then.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
They are banned in some pubs in Manchester.

sergeadam.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I bought a half and half scarf this season - a Minnesota Vikings vs Cleveland Browns one. I went to Twickenham for the game purely as a tourist, so I felt comfortable within my own skin making the purchase. Plus it was after the game, and they were flogging them off at £2 a pop so I thought what the hey.

ows_144305477932229.jpg

You did what? ? ?! ! ! ! !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apparently it costs more to put 'The Premier League' on them and the Bangladeshi sweat shop children who make them can only spell 'Premiership.' The level of education in the Bangladeshi slums really does leave a lot to be desired.

Ben Elton: "Ooh, bit of politics from Cheeky Monkey there!"

Very amusing. Premier League is a copyright, so each & any of those sellers could end up in court for breaching it.

The other scarves I saw can be spotted in [MENTION=33522]Ron Manager[/MENTION] bottom picture with the team faces. Obviously only guessing the line ups, but one side Utd players, & Brighton the reverse. Now, I can understand the club colours & crests, but a row of faces?

I have got one half & half scarf, which I bought as a tourist. It's Olhanense (Portugal) v Brighton so a one off, & a great souvenir.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
BarPop-Manchester-gay-bar-main.jpg

"No half and half scarfs here!! So unfashionable!"

I was more thinking of the sort of grubby old, flat-roofed dive that the likes of the Always Ultras would frequent really.

Brighton_Rose

Up the Albion!
Aug 13, 2011
Withdean Brighton
I wouldn’t want one myself but don’t see anything wrong if people get them to mark the occasion and Brighton’s achievement, rather than supporting both teams.
It would be funny if they have them for palace/Brighton!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I wouldn’t want one myself but don’t see anything wrong if people get them to mark the occasion and Brighton’s achievement, rather than supporting both teams.
It would be funny if they have them for palace/Brighton!

If they have them at Brighton v Palace it will be really funny seeing the scarves thrown on the railway line, followed by the seller :D

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
35 years since we played at OT in the top league. Or, put another way, anyone under 45 wont remember that day.
This game was a culmination of years of hard work from the club. It was the game many looked for first on the fixture list, and not because they are Man Utd supporters. On my coach alone four people came back with half/half scarfs, maybe for themselves or their kids, who knows, but being on that coach meant they had loyalty points so must be fans. On arrival I took selfies of me in front of that well know sign. Inside I got a steward to take a photo of me with the pitch behind. This game, beyond any other, said "yes Brighton have made the big time".
After the game I walked past the sellers with the scarfs and thought NEVER.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here