Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I've travelled far and wide, approx 60 countries, the only times I have experienced real anti-english sentiment were 1) from afrikaaners in Cape Town last year,... and 2) from Scots in Edinburgh on a number of occasions.

Everywhere else, without exception, I have received a warm welcome.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The only anti-english sentiment I ever received in SA was from Afrikaaners so I am not surprised. The Zulus seem to like the English much more than they do the Afrikaaners, but that does not surprise me either!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I found Belgrade a little cool but that was closer in time to the Nato bombing.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Also, perhaps folk in some places have good reason to dislike the English (or maybe the Brits).

If you live in certain parts of Spain, say, and your entire summer brings hordes of pissed up sunburned twats fighting & hurling chairs around for a laugh, singing football songs at 3am, vomiting in gutters, and generally attempting to get as drunk as they can, as early as they can, then I guess that might slightly colour your opinion of our proud English brothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i saw 2 fights and never once saw people hurling chairs in 15 years of holidaying in some of spains classiest resorts (magaluf,benidorm, playa de las americas , Lloret de mar) vomiting in gutters maybe , but are you under the impression that these places were thriving peaceful towns before they became holiday resorts ? These places were tiny villag3s that morphed into large holiday resorts , so.locals who are there , in the main , owe their livelihoods to the holidaymakers who visit , any othe misinformed rubbish you want to post ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ive heard us called 'Island Monkeys' in more than one country, but its just a term, like we call the French 'Frogs'. Ive never really found any animosity towards the British, other than Czechs believing the British handed their country over to the Nazis virtually. I always tell them not to disrespect the Czech, and Polish pilots of the RAF.

insel affer :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My experience is that it's just a bit of banter, and mostly limited to sport, but people here seem to be quite precious about it sometimes.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I’m with Cecil Rhodes. “To be born an Englishman is to win the first prize in the Lottery of life”

I believe that England, and Englishness, fair play, sticking up for the underdog, and our legacy of empire is (irrespective of the racism that capitulation engendered) is a massive influence on the world today. We saved Europe from the “Dark Science” of Nazism and dashed our empire on the rocks of Those who would enslave mankind.

Not a bad account all in all.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
.....I mean, I can’t see Rome throwing their empire away to save the Celts, or the Islamic empire risking all for the liberty of a few Jews in medina.

We did it twice. And lost everything in the process...handing the World to the yanks. God help us all.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’m with Cecil Rhodes. “To be born an Englishman is to win the first prize in the Lottery of life”

I believe that England, and Englishness, fair play, sticking up for the underdog, and our legacy of empire is (irrespective of the racism that capitulation engendered) is a massive influence on the world today. We saved Europe from the “Dark Science” of Nazism and dashed our empire on the rocks of Those who would enslave mankind.

Not a bad account all in all.

:ffsparr:

D

Deleted member 18477

Deep down everyone respects the English. We're not the biggest or most populated or the richest by any means.

They love to hate us but they know we have a quality. We seem to have had one of the most positive influences on the modern world and we have been a leader. English is the most widely spoken language by number of countries (not native or people).

Who knows what will happen over the next centuries, we won't be here to find out.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I lived there there for 10 years years and married two of them (At different times) and was always treated with respect and affection. We have a common dislike of Argentina (?), and we have them football and railways!
They think we are reserved, rather than cold but love us when they get to know is...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I lived there there for 10 years years and married two of them (At different times) and was always treated with respect and affection. We have a common dislike of Argentina (?), and we have them football and railways!
They think we are reserved, rather than cold but love us when they get to know is...

Where?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That’s interesting. I worked for a while in a very rural part of southern France..in the Biarritz hinterland, on farms with a lot of young Europeans and French kids.

We got on really well with all, but I remember going into a bar once filled with old guys who absolutely despised us.

I got chatting to the owner and he explained that this area was staunch Vichy and some of these old guys hated the brits for sinking the French fleet in harbour when they refused to sail and join with the Royal Navy and preferred to take their chances with the Nazis.

These guys were part of the hated Milice! A proper bunch of Nazis.

I was amazed to find this in modern France...but when I got back and chatted to my Grandad he told me how the French in Algiers spat on the tommies when we liberated them. It’s weird isn’t it. History is alive.

Yet, I have met a survivor of the Mers-El-Kebir sinking and he was delightful. He understood why the Navy did what it did, to stop the ships and armaments getting into the hands of the Nazis.
I recently met up with the chairman of their Association, who will be our guest at the Hood memorial dinner next May.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I tend not to pay attention to anyone who hates another person, or group of people, based on something like their nationality. Or gender. Or sexuality. Or political leaning. Or religion.

If you're going to hate someone do it for a good reason. Like putting the milk in before the teabag, for instance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here