Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Retirement

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I took it as a chance to do things that would not have been possible while working - in our case, emigrate, look after elderly mother-in-law, take on a voluntary sports administration role. Life has been just as busy and more fun than being in a routine job. Still get to see the Albion on tv, and live on occasional trips over.

el punal

It's a breeding ground for procrastination on an epic scale.

Well you’re sort of right, on the other hand maybe not. I mean you could call me procrastinator-in-chief but I like to mull it over in my mind before coming up with an informed decision, but sometimes that informed decision is not the correct one. So, let’s look at this again, now . . . sorry, what was the question?

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
One thing I was looking forward to was getting my bus pass when i reached 60 but alas it will be 67 before i get one :(

I'm 55 and looking to retire from my full time job as soon as the next voluntary redundancy package comes along.

I intend to set up a bigger workshop than the one I have now and make things out of wood and metal.

Good shout about the pension though, THPP, I worked at Amex from 1979 to 1984 so might have a bit of bunce in there.
worked at Amex 77 to 94 worth checking it out as I've been taking a small pension since I turned 50:moo:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone have advice on day to day good and bad points on reaching retirement .... asking for a friend

I don't mean financial, stuff like social isolation, laziness, boredom

I think a lot depends on what you do now as a job and how it impacts your life to some people work is a minor irritation to others it is a major part of their lives either because they love it or because they 'have to'. Also the nature of that work e.g. desk bound v high activity or working in a closely located team v isolation.

I worked from home, was on call (remote computer support) and roughly 50 hours a week. I have been retired 3 years now and still find I don't have enough time to do what I want to do. Did a lot of work in the garden, hand built shed etc , then did my daughters garden and decorating then other people's gardens . Enjoying doing something completely different. Keen on photography and walking/wildlife so that can fill a large void if need be but to be honest don't have a gap at present.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
I did phased retirement, went down to 2 days a week for a couple of years before giving up completely during this summer. Can thoroughly recommend it, have done loads of travelling during term time so far and have got very good deals.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
6. Study NSC
7. Go shopping on a Saturday morning when you had all week to go :whistle:

That is so true.
I was a supermarket manager for many years and could never understand why all the pensioner went shopping at 11am on Saturday and moaned about the queues.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is so true.
I was a supermarket manager for many years and could never understand why all the pensioner went shopping at 11am on Saturday and moaned about the queues.

Does my head in...shuffling along the aisles with a BIG trolley, containing a small tin of beans and half a loaf of bread, then stopping to chat to Edna, who also has a big trolley with a small tin of soup in it, blocking the aisle completely.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
You’re absolutely doing the right thing. I’ve lost a much loved cousin to the BigC just turned 50, and now his brother has months to go also BigC. Their message to us was don’t work longer than you have to, life’s too short.

All the best with the retirement.

My advice is to take up a hobby or two, of things you truly like or always wanted to learn. Could be a course in further education, yoga, fitness, dancing, singing, gardening. Not all at the same time!

Thank you and I am really sorry to hear about your cousins.

I have plenty of interests, another reason I want to pack up work, it's exhausting trying to fit it all in!
And yeah, life's too short

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I retired last April age 55 from a very stressful NHS job . The only keeping me there for the last few years was the ability to take full pension at that age.
I'd always heard tales of people leaving similar jobs , stopping work completely, and dropping dead within the first year . Thinking ,that's not for me , I was on the look out for a 2 day a week post . I found one which I've been doing for the last year. It's almost stress free and I'm still using skills I've built up over many years.
As a bonus I'm bringing home more money than when I was working full time .
I'm only planning to do this for a few years , then will probably stop paid work , and do a little voluntary work.
My point being : don't just stop the 9-5 after many decades without any structure in place .That way brings the regular 3.00pm bottle of wine on a weekday afternoon , and a short and unfulfilled retirement.

Great to hear, and achieved so young.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Retired five years ago. I can honestly say that I am never bored or wish for a second I was back at work.

I had time to spend with my Dad before he passed and meant he could be cared for in his own house. Taught myself to cook, get properly fit after years of desk work, got a dog. All the things I never had time for when I was working.

I do think you need some structure to your day - which is where the dog helps but embrace the fact that you are now working to YOUR clock so things can happen at your own pace. And if you have the opportunity to lunch with friends or go somewhere, well just go.

Embrace the opportunity would be my advice.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think that’s a very valid point. For the first two months I was out in Austria, cycling almost every day and not having problems sleeping. Since being back in the UK I’ve not cycled and have generally been quite lazy, so maybe my body has needed less sleep. I’ve tried to counter the sleeplessness, without success, by going to bed later, but maybe I’ll take Tim Over Whelmed’s advice of forcing myself to get up earlier.

You know it makes sense! Structure around getting out of bed cures all the other issues or potential problems in my opinion

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Tee hee.

There’s advantages to getting old

I now have free prescriptions and an Everton away ticket for £20.
I couldn’t work out why the system wouldn’t let me have an adult ticket until I realised that I have just turned 60
Result!!! - well hope so next Saturday

Retirements great - just make sure you keep active and busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
You definitely have to keep active both mentally and physically. I took early retirement 4 years ago and found I was able to get bored quite easily ! My wife is younger than me and is still working so days at home can, if you're not careful, drag. I am basically a house husband and look after washing, cleaning and shopping. Summer is great as i can get out in the garden but winter is a bugger when it's cold and wet. I started doing hospital radio about a year ago and go in there one night a week, I've also started volunteering at a local doctor's surgery working in the field of loneliness and isolation. Apart from that there's photography which I do quite a lot of and seeing friends . Genealogy has been a bit of a Godsend as you can get very lost in it for hours. And then, of course, there's following the Albion !
If you need any further "tips" PM me

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not seen it mentioned on here yet, but one of the major goodies is cheap uncrowded flights. Judge it just right with kids in school and folks just returning to work en masse and flights & hotels are cheap as chips. Twice this year I've been on flights where we've had half a dozen rows at the back of the plane all to ourselves. Sheer LUXURY!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Not seen it mentioned on here yet, but one of the major goodies is cheap uncrowded flights. Judge it just right with kids in school and folks just returning to work en masse and flights & hotels are cheap as chips. Twice this year I've been on flights where we've had half a dozen rows at the back of the plane all to ourselves. Sheer LUXURY!

I couldn't help but notice you said "Twice this year I've been on flights where WE've had flights where the WE've had half a dozen rows at the back of the plane all to OURSELVES "

Are you seriously suggesting you have a partner.....?...and if so my commiserations to her/him on having to cope with such a miserable s*** , such as yourself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I couldn't help but notice you said "Twice this year I've been on flights where WE've had flights where the WE've had half a dozen rows at the back of the plane all to OURSELVES "

Are you seriously suggesting you have a partner.....?...and if so my commiserations to her/him on having to cope with such a miserable s*** , such as yourself.

WOW! Cheers for that, you freaky stalker you! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here