Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are Dualit toasters worth the money?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't think of the last time someone walked into my kitchen who hadn't been there before.

Actually I can - it was [MENTION=12852]pauli cee[/MENTION], when he was trashing my house using the excuse of doing the electrical work we'd asked him to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dualit are one of the pretentious look at me brands that I hate.
Like Smeg,Miele and Kitchen Aid.
People just want you to see them as you enter the kitchen which might as well have a ' I am so much richer than you' sign in the door.
You can purchase just as good,appliances which are much more user friendly and easier to clean etc than the over engineered over styled brands.
I am not saying go cheap but you cannot go far wrong with Bosch and NEFF products.
And then you have the ultimate look at me brand, BMW.

What’s over engineered and over styled about the Dualit toaster? It’s simple in design and simply and robustly engineered....which is what I like about it.

boik

Well, at the risk of getting shot down as pretentious, when I was still on good money, but knowing that retirement was coming up, we decided to buy things based on build quality and "lastability" rather than buying cheap like we usually did. We bought a Rangemaster cooker, dualit toaster and kitchenaid mixer. All are built like tanks, metal throughout, with no gimmicky electronic bits. 8-10 years on we have no zero problems with any of them of them. I think people think about them with jaundiced views because of the price, but spread over a lifetime then it becomes an easier decision. The kitchenaid in particular when probably surviver a direct nuclear hit and still be able to mix concrete. Some of our best ever purchases.

p.s. Look at me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, at the risk of getting shot down as pretentious, when I was still on good money, but knowing that retirement was coming up, we decided to buy things based on build quality and "lastability" rather than buying cheap like we usually did. We bought a Rangemaster cooker, dualit toaster and kitchenaid mixer. All are built like tanks, metal throughout, with no gimmicky electronic bits. 8-10 years on we have no zero problems with any of them of them. I think people think about them with jaundiced views because of the price, but spread over a lifetime then it becomes an easier decision. The kitchenaid in particular when probably surviver a direct nuclear hit and still be able to mix concrete. Some of our best ever purchases.

p.s. Look at me!

Quite. As I posted earlier, buy cheap, buy twice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quite agree,

Buy quality, buy once,

Buy a name, buy a marketing man's bonus :wink:

(I know, people in marketing have families to feed too)

It is a design icon. I can understand people paying for it for that value. What I can't understand is people buying it because they think at £170 it makes better toast! :lolol:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Most of the posts in favour of them seem to be along these lines:
Buy it once, buy it for life - had mine for X years and only needed to replace the element Y times... Fabulous piece of kit. Don't buy cheap, it will just break down.....

This is the £50 HDMI cable of the toaster world.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I can't believe there isn't a poll already. John Lewis 2 slice lasted 8 years so far. can't wait for it to break, should have got a 4 slice.

boik

Most of the posts in favour of them seem to be along these lines:
Buy it once, buy it for life - had mine for X years and only needed to replace the element Y times... Fabulous piece of kit. Don't buy cheap, it will just break down.....

This is the £50 HDMI cable of the toaster world.

Or Zero times in our case. Sorry if that doesn't suit your argument. I'm sure you spend money on things others might find ridiculous. We've never spent more than 5 grand on a car for example. The current Toyota Previa is also built like a tank and indestructable. If it's well designed and well built then I will buy it. Doesn't matter who makes it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm thinking of getting one of these kettles:
https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/bugat...IV65PtCh0MdgcxEAQYAiABEgKzkvD_BwE&colour=Grey

The water is much tastier if its boiled correctly - it needs to be cooked inside and out.
You'll need a decent teapot to go with it. I have one of these and the difference in the taste of the tea once it's stewed in it for an hour or so is unmistakable or dare I say, unmissable. An essential item for the hot drink connoisseur.

https://www.artedona.com/en/Dinnerw...Bernardaud-Ecume-Platinum-coffee-teapot.html?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here