Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wha is your Favourite Kebab and where from?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
iskander is the best, doner meat (or mince) reduced tomato, yoghurt and cubes of bread saturated and fried butter. Best in Dalstan or Kemeralti in Izmir. Which Mangal in Dalstan Al? Gilbert and George still crawl through Mangal IIs menu, I haven't got the balls to tell them Mangal I on Arcolla street is infinately better!

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I've never seen a doner kebab done properly in this country. I know they're takeaway joints, but they all seem to use a pre-made greased-up blob of minced meat on a stick. It's meant to be compiled layer by layer, including vegetables and other bits.

this, 1000x

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The doner kebab, another fine German invention.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Mine is my girlfriend and her mother. I've not mentioned it to either of them.Still in discussion with others.

Jul 7, 2003
I've never seen a doner kebab done properly in this country. I know they're takeaway joints, but they all seem to use a pre-made greased-up blob of minced meat on a stick. It's meant to be compiled layer by layer, including vegetables and other bits.

Uncle Jims are, I believe, the only place in Worthing that make their own doner rather than buy something in from a cash and carry.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Undoubtedly true which is why the one I get at DFC a) isn't really a proper doner and b) is made from proper lamb they spice up themselves.

However British take away is NEVER the same. Having eaten in Indian restaurants in India, back street Chinese joints in Taipei City and proper Thai and Malaysian street food the UK equivalent is never the same. At best just a little less vibrant as the spices are either less fresh or less well combined. At worst shitty meat covered in gloopy syrupy nastiness.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Asking for a fav kebab house is like asking which is your fav resteraunt, Mc Donalds or Burger King. Most look as dodgy as hell and few do stacked meat. I bet there are some good ones but few and far between as most would rely imo on generic wholesalers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Souvlaki Giro. I lived on them when island hopping in Greece.
Small round pitta, grilled cubes of meat, tatsiki, bit of salad, salt and pepper.
Absolutely delicious. Not only the best kebab but the best take away.
Never seen them in this country even in greek hotspots like Green Lane in London.

Greek souvlaki is heavenly.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Souvlaki Giro. I lived on them when island hopping in Greece.
Small round pitta, grilled cubes of meat, tatsiki, bit of salad, salt and pepper.
Absolutely delicious. Not only the best kebab but the best take away.
Never seen them in this country even in greek hotspots like Green Lane in London.

There is a stall in Camden food market that does them......getting hungry just thinking about it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is a stall in Camden food market that does them......getting hungry just thinking about it.

Next time I am in London I now know my first port of call. Thank you.
A friend of mine went to Antiparos with his family last year, before he left I said that whatever you do you must try Souvlaki Giro, he looked at me as if I was some sort of idiot. On his return he told me he tried one on their first night and was instantly addicted.
I have seen recipes for them on t'internet I may try and make some.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Used to love the kebabs from EG charcoal grill in East Grinstead when i lived there. However the best one I had was from the Estacio Kebab (station kebab) by the North Train station in Valencia

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here