Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Corwall / North Devon

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Like others have said, all of the area is massively busy in the summer. Bosinney Bay near Tintagel is an amazing little cove. You gave to walk down a crazy winding path to get to it but it's well worth it.

Close to Rocky Valley and St Nectan's Glen, for exploring. There's enough walking around Tintagel and Boscastle for a good few days.

Edit: If Cornwall isn't already full...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Try Padstow.
Very busy during the summer hols,but a fabulous town and area.We are going down again in Mid October when it has quietened down.
As others have mentioned,Lynmouth is nice especially for walking.Not too far from Woolacombe Bay which is great for kids.
Have a good time wherever you go.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
My Mum lives near Launceston.
A good place for you would be Trethorne Golf and Leisure. Its pretty much on the border of Devon and Cornwall.
The Eliot Arms does cracking food and is 10 minute walk and the Trethorne Golf Club does B and B at reasonable rates.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Does anyone know of any cheap camping sites in Cornwall or Devon that are within walking distance of a nice beach and few pubs and a short drive or walk from a beach with a surfing school?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Try Padstow.
Very busy during the summer hols,but a fabulous town and area.We are going down again in Mid October when it has quietened down.
As others have mentioned,Lynmouth is nice especially for walking.Not too far from Woolacombe Bay which is great for kids.

Yes Padstow is heaving in the summer but such a great area that it is more than worth putting up with the crowds.
Fish and Chips around the harbour in the evening has to be done.
Catch the ferry over to rock, nice beach.
Catch the ferry to rock and walk to Polzeath along the cliffs great beach, have lunch maybe a surfing lesson and walk back to Rock and Padstow.
Splash out in a quality restaurant for great food (not just Rick Stein)
Walk are hire a bike down the Camel estuary trail to beautiful inland villages and gardens. Nice and flat as its an old railway line.
Some very good pubs selling good food and great ale.
Many other places to visit around the area.
All sorts of accommodation from caravans, glamping to very expensive but fantastic apartments.
And of course you are can visit Sharps Brewery, the home of Doom Bar
Go out on a boat for some of the best fishing in the country.
Fabulous Seafood.
Go water skiing in the estuary or hire a speedboat.
Easy reach of St Ives, Perranporth and Port Issac.
The only thing that can ruin this fabulous area is the weather.Hope its good for you down here.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does anyone know of any cheap camping sites in Cornwall or Devon that are within walking distance of a nice beach and few pubs and a short drive or walk from a beach with a surfing school?

We stayed at a camp site at St Keverne on the Lizard a few summers ago,

This one in fact: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7229

It is small and basic, but a 5 minute walk from the town (2 or 3 pubs) and within easy driving from a number of beaches in the area. I'd guess the very local beaches don't do surf schools though - perhaps the beaches on the West side near Helston might be suited.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

There is a campsite right on the south cliffs of the wonderful Polzeath beach, which is one the main surf beaches in Cornwall (I did my one and only 'pipeline' ride there)...school & bars in village

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There is a campsite right on the south cliffs of the wonderful Polzeath beach, which is one the main surf beaches in Cornwall (I did my one and only 'pipeline' ride there)...school & bars in village

I would very much second that, plus you can do all the things in my post above.
Depending on your budget the cheapest form of camping is in a farmers field without all the entertainment etc and there are loads of them around Polzeath.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
All of Cornwall and Devon is heaving in August...... Especially the coast.....but inland near Bodmin, Helman Tor, Lanhydrock House is great for walks and pubs. Daymer Bay is great too....... for me the Quantocks are where you can really experience the West Country,.... look up Nether Stowey and the Coleridge Trail.

You absolute blithering idiot !

The Quantocks are a complete and total waste of time, and nobody who lives outside of north west Somerset should ever go there. And it's dangerous, what with that ugly nuclear power station, and the blisteringly ugly Butlin holiday camp blotting the landscape. Then there's the smoke and noise pollution from that ruddy awful steam railway. The beaches are ghastly, the castle at Dunster is due for redevelopment, and the seaside cafe at Blue Anchor ( try saying THAT quickly) serves the worst bacon sandwiches in Christendom.

Hint for visitors - Devon and Cornwall are far, far superior. Take your caravans there, clog up their bloomin' roads.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Try Padstow.

The Quantocks are a complete and total waste of time, and nobody who lives outside of north west Somerset should ever go there. And it's dangerous, what with that ugly nuclear power station, and the blisteringly ugly Butlin holiday camp blotting the landscape. Then there's the smoke and noise pollution from that ruddy awful steam railway. The beaches are ghastly, the castle at Dunster is due for redevelopment, and the seaside cafe at Blue Anchor ( try saying THAT quickly) serves the worst bacon sandwiches in Christendom.

Hint for visitors - Devon and Cornwall are far, far superior. Take your caravans there, clog up their bloomin' roads.

Lol.....OK....its crap.....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Another vote for Bude in Cornwall well worth a visit, we rented a barn conversion holiday let on a farm in Holsworthy in North Devon 4 years back, not that far from Bude.
Clovelly in North Devon is a nice place to visit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I've been to that awful cafe recently...I'd stay well clear :whistle:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would recommend south Devon over north. The south coast not Torbay. All around the coast from Dartmouth to Plymouth is great. You have slap ton sands where they practised the dday landings and start point. Then around towards Salcombe, thurlstone and my favourite beach in England at bantham. Big bury is good and the sea reactor takes you over to burgh island (walk at low tide). Then all around a rugged coast to Plymouth. More history and things to see. The south hams is an amazing district*

*disclaimer. I grew up in a small village near totnes and go back several times a year with the family. I am biased but rightly so.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

To be fair, I think the OP would be better off going to Scotlandshire if he wants golf.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would recommend south Devon over north. The south coast not Torbay. All around the coast from Dartmouth to Plymouth is great. You have slap ton sands where they practised the dday landings and start point. Then around towards Salcombe, thurlstone and my favourite beach in England at bantham. Big bury is good and the sea reactor takes you over to burgh island (walk at low tide). Then all around a rugged coast to Plymouth. More history and things to see. The south hams is an amazing district*

*disclaimer. I grew up in a small village near totnes and go back several times a year with the family. I am biased but rightly so.

You blithering idiot.
I hate the South Hams its a complete ****hole.
Salcombe is a dump and as for Hope Cove words fail me.
You forgot to mention the eyesore that is Noss Mayo and its drug den pub the Ship Inn.
Mothecombe and the Erme estuary has nappies in the water and I once caught botulism from the filthy sea at Blackpool sands.
I would never take the kids to Pennywell Farm what a rip off that is.
Slapton sands lives up to its name its full of slappers.
Prostitution is rife in Dartmouth. The pimps all live in Kingsbridge.
Tip North Devon and Cornwall is far better send even more grockels in their grundy bins up there and send the pay and displays into meltdown.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Excellent tourist info, as there always is on NSC - unlike Trip Advisor where you can be thrown off track by a paranoid American.
Have been succumbed to the charms of Padstow & its surrounds.
Picturesque fishing harbour, some stunning walks & bike tracks, historic buildings and decent pubs close by - there's even a couple of challenging golf courses if time permits.
Have booked accommodation at a couple of Rick Stein's joints.
Two nights at St Petrocs and also a night staying at his Seafood Restaurant.
I didn't realise just quite how big his empire is - can certainly see why it's referred to as Padstein.
Four eateries and 6 Hotels / Guest Houses within the town, plus a farm and a pub just outside Padstow.
He's everywhere ! He's even got a boutique B & B with attached restaurant a few hours down the coast from Sydney.

A big thanks to all who contributed on this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here