Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Did you not read the pamphlet sent out by camerons government at a £9mil cost to the tax payer?

Yes I did, and I read the official Vote Leave literature. Both listed a variety of options, not a specific one.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
no deal, wto!

Genuine question, if trading on the WTO terms is so great why does literally nobody else (bar Mauritania) do it? Are you seriously claiming your idea is great and the entire world bar one military dictatorship perched on the edge of the Sahara is missing a trick?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, May has finally decided to try and involve other parties in Brexit.

Only 2 years too late, and when she has her back to the wall. National interest or not, I’d tell her to do one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Meh, just wondered if maybe you had the courage behind your conviction that we shouldnt have referendums in a parliamentary democracy.
I've already stated my beliefs on the other thread today, I'm certainly not going through it all again here. I'm not really sure why you're arguing.

But ultimately, yes I do think referendums are a shit idea in a parliamentary democracy. We pay MPs to make informed decisions for us because they are best placed to do so.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
May standing on the steps of No 10 talking as if nothing had happened over the past few days and weeks, still sounding as if she knows what she is talking about, national interest blah blah blah.
I cannot describe how much I detest everything about this woman, she should do a Cameron and just walk away.
Surely the most stupidly stubborn PM ever.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Genuine question, if trading on the WTO terms is so great why does literally nobody else (bar Mauritania) do it? Are you seriously claiming your idea is great and the entire world bar one military dictatorship perched on the edge of the Sahara is missing a trick?

Sorry but Mauritania don't. They joined the (east African trading bloc - not sure name is correct) and have preferred trading deals with over 20 WTO members including the EU.

Britain would be the only country In the world to try and trade on WTO defaults.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yes I did, and I read the official Vote Leave literature. Both listed a variety of options, not a specific one.

There were distinct outlines by 'Call me Dave' ...out of the single market, out of the customs union. It wasn't the leave campaigns literature was it!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, May has finally decided to try and involve other parties in Brexit.

Only 2 years too late, and when she has her back to the wall. National interest or not, I’d tell her to do one.

It’s a bit rich for her to now start bleating about putting party politics aside in the national interest. It’s only because she is desperate. Scum is too nice a word for Tories.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I have no doubt the U.K. will trade but given how weak, chaotic and desperate the country is it will be on other nations terms. It’s best to negotiate from a strong position, not a position where the entire world knows you NEED to sign deals.

Besides, this lot have demonstrated for the past two years how inept they are at negotiation. They can’t even decide what they want between themselves let alone what’s best for the like of you. I question your confidence...not to mention your intelligence. I presume you mean countries like the US, Brazil, Russia etc. If you meant Albania and Peru I take it back.

There is no need to question my intelligence just because I hold a different opinion to you. It is okay for you to believe whatever you want. It does not make you superior or your argument.

Other countries will trade with us because of what we have to offer to the world. My concern is whether, given the way our MP's are negotiating do we have competent people to employ to negotiate trade deals.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh does Australia 'do it'?

No. Mauritania is the only country in the world which does all it's trade on WTO terms. Not a single other country in the world does.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well it sounds to me like Labour and SNP won't talk until 'no deal' is off the table.

No big surprise there, then :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sorry but Mauritania don't. They joined the (east African trading bloc - not sure name is correct) and have preferred trading deals with over 20 WTO members including the EU.

Britain would be the only country In the world to try and trade on WTO defaults.

Aha, so it's so bad even a corrupt military dictatorship won't have it.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It doesn’t work like this in many jobs. You have very low employment, jobs constantly need filling. And the vast majority of the jobs that constantly need filling don’t need “the best”, they just need a ready supply of willing people. You won’t have this when visas kick in.

That is good news. It will push up wages for the low paid.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There were distinct outlines by 'Call me Dave' ...out of the single market, out of the customs union. It wasn't the leave campaigns literature was it!

Those were possible outcomes, not definite. Norway was floated by both.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No problem then... We agree...

Just stop free movement and have control over immigration as I stated in my other post of benefits.

We already have control over immigration. For 30 years immigration numbers from outside the EU (which we control) has been higher than those from within. Currently immigration from outside the EU is at a 15 year high. Yay control.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here