Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You might not be old enough to remember but the Locadia situation reminds me of the Guy Butters saga.
Guy was hated by a lot of Albion folk and was even put on eBay. Eventually he knuckled down and became a fans favourite.
I can see this repeating itself with Jurgen. Hope so

Yep, certainly echoes of Butters. Now he certainly was ridiculed by all.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Yep, certainly echoes of Butters. Now he certainly was ridiculed by all.

Let’s hope it’s Guy Butters he goes the way of and not Colin Hawkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
You might not be old enough to remember but the Locadia situation reminds me of the Guy Butters saga.
Guy was hated by a lot of Albion folk and was even put on eBay. Eventually he knuckled down and became a fans favourite.
I can see this repeating itself with Jurgen. Hope so

I still have a signed Guy Butters shirt from when they were sold off to raise money during the Withdean years. I’d planned to frame it and hang it in my downstairs loo but it’s ****ing huge - XXXL!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, Premier League safety is probably worth £150m these days and needs roughly 40 points. His goals just got us four of those in two games against top teams so it works out exactly at that number. Lol. Give the guy a chance. He’s coming good.

Yes, I've said repeatedly that he's at last shown us why the recruitment team thought it was worth buying him. It took a bloody long while though, didn't it!

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Yes, I've said repeatedly that he's at last shown us why the recruitment team thought it was worth buying him. It took a bloody long while though, didn't it!

People keep harping on over how long it's taken. The guy has mainly had fleeting appearances, what do you expect? The first real opportunity he's been given has now hopefully shown us his quality.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People keep harping on over how long it's taken. The guy has mainly had fleeting appearances, what do you expect? The first real opportunity he's been given has now hopefully shown us his quality.

He actually had several chances, none of which he grabbed with both hands. Therefore there were justifiable doubts about him. No case to argue against that. However, now he's finally - at long last - broken through and shown what he can do (which I and most others are well pleased with) why the **** are some people still arguing?

:facepalm:

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
He's done really well over the last couple of games but the problem will come IF CH decides we go back to 4-4-1-1 on a regular basis as I dont see him featuring in that formation except as a sub ... the hybrid 4-3-3 (defensive 4-5-1) suits him , although I dont rule him out as the no.9 I think Andone & Murray have that wrapped up unless there is an injury/suspension

Would love to see Locardia on the right & a fit Izzy on the left of Andone at the point of the front three , now that would scare any defence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's done really well over the last couple of games but the problem will come IF CH decides we go back to 4-4-1-1 on a regular basis as I dont see him featuring in that formation except as a sub ... .

At the moment that's Ali, Ak & Jose's problem.
It's up to Big Jurg to keep it that way.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He actually had several chances, none of which he grabbed with both hands. Therefore there were justifiable doubts about him. No case to argue against that.

No case to argue?

Best player on the pitch Vs Coventry in the cup so that’s one chance grabbed.

And then 223 Premier League minutes last season over 6 games (which included a goal a giant Swansea and a great assist against Palace) and then 128 minutes over 10 this season (prior to the system change at B-Muff where he started playing well and convincing the haters). Are these little scraps of appearances really enough to make a full judgement on a player?

That’s about 4 whole games (in a new league and formation) of evidence that some folk have used to decided he is not up to scratch.

In comparison to Izqueirdo who has had 569 generally poor minutes this season and didn’t really get going until his 5th Premier League game at West Ham last season, he seems to have taken just as long to find some form (in minutes played rather than time at the club).

The worst thing is, some people just can’t admit that they judged him too quickly. They’ll argue and argue that they were right in calling for the club to get rid of him despite the evidence available to the contrary. How lucky we are that they were so wrong and that he is performing when we actually need him rather then when he was a luxury on the bench due to us having fit, available and in form players in the positions he plays.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
happy to be proven wrong. I had written him off after some awful performances and that interview with the Dutch.

More than happy he has shown he may be a decent addition if he can keep up the current level.

Todays press where he says he is happy here etc pretty much cancels out the moaning he did to the dutch press.

Onwards and upwards and hopefully can push on

***edit .... written off on here , in person would always support them **

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Never ever judge a player until he has some regular game time. He has been very good last 2 games, no chance of him losing his place in the side currently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No case to argue?

Best player on the pitch Vs Coventry in the cup so that’s one chance grabbed.

And then 223 Premier League minutes last season over 6 games (which included a goal a giant Swansea and a great assist against Palace) and then 128 minutes over 10 this season (prior to the system change at B-Muff where he started playing well and convincing the haters). Our these little scraps of appearances really enough to make a full judgement on a player?

That’s about 4 whole games (in a new league and formation) of evidence that some folk have used to decided he is not up to scratch.

In comparison to Izqueirdo who has had 569 generally poor minutes this season and didn’t really get going until his 5th Premier League game at West Ham last season, he seems to have taken just as long to find some form (in minutes played rather than time at the club).

The worst thing is, some people just can’t admit that they judged him too quickly. They’ll argue and argue that they were right in calling for the club to get rid of him despite the evidence available to the contrary. How lucky we are that they were so wrong and that he is performing when we actually need him rather then when he was a luxury on the bench due to us having fit, available and in form players in the positions he plays.

You're forgetting another vital layer in Big Jurg's minutes.
One that both myself and [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] went to great lengths to try and educate those too stupid to look beyond their own knee JERK prejudices. (spot the poster who's not happy about appearing on the 'Poster of the Year thread :lol: )

You need to subtract 'minutes played as a lone striker away at City & Liverpool'.
That is a position that either didn't need filling or Chris could just have easily plucked a fan from the away end, as Big Jurg (or Harry Kane) was never going to kick the ball in either of those games.
He was only playing 'better not waste a Murray injury today' role.

#NotEvenAFootballer.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
All down to the gait

In all seriousness he looks like a completely different player now

I really think a lot of it is to do with the partnership that Bernardo and himself have developed. There was an attack against Arsenal, Bernardo and Locadia both tearing down the left wing, they just looked like a pair of raptors on a hunt!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He reminds me a little bit of Hemed, in that you want him in and around your other attacking players. He isn't going to do a mazey sprint around the defence and score, but his link up play & passing, bringing others in etc, is really intelligent. Tends to find the right pass, has a decent touch, and he's pretty strong too.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I really think a lot of it is to do with the partnership that Bernardo and himself have developed. There was an attack against Arsenal, Bernardo and Locadia both tearing down the left wing, they just looked like a pair of raptors on a hunt!

Now there's a player that had very little chance to impress after being played out of position in the first game. Bernado has demonstrated what a fantastic player he is without needing endless minutes to get up to speed. You're right, it is looking like a good combination and long may it continue in that way

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The one time I have criticised him quite a bit was after Liverpool away at the end of last season when he strolled around not seeming to care. On reflection, that was a one off and happened in a game that meant nothing to us and in which all our players were terrible, but I wonder if that was damaging for him in terms of losing the support of a lot of people permanently.

I was at that game and sat in prawn sandwich on the halfway line. I watched Locadia that day more than any other player (until I got too pissed anyway) and was shocked at his lack of effort. Sure, the team were all poor that day but the rest of them had earned an early beach day whereas Jurgen hadn't. It's true I had him down as lazy from there although it wasn't the first time either as he arguably cost us a goal at Castle greyskull.

Still, it's good to see him coming good. I'd much rather that than win the Internet. I've no idea what goes on at Lancing but I'd bet there is a lot other clubs could learn as we seem to make players better and better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here