Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Technical Director

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Good stuff. Well, our exchange on the matter has brought plenty to this thread, I feel.

LOL LOL - I could have told lies.................which takes me back to a holiday when I was 20 years old.....................A group of guys from Scotland met a group of gals from Essex on our holidays.................On the last night one of my mates said to the girls

''Lets all have group photo''.................The response from one of the girls was ......... WHY ?

To which another of my mates said '' We need EVIDENCE when we go home and tell lies about you '' !!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They're discussing it on Sunday Supplement. Matthew Dunn

"How would we feel if Gareth Southgate left England to go and manage Brighton, if Chris Hughton suddenly went somewhere else? Should England be losing the talent that they've backed to Brighton and Hove Albion - with all due respect to Brighton and Hove Albion, it's not... it just worries me that he's happy to jump ship from what should be a fairly blue ribbon job to go and, y'know, take control of the destiny of a premier side that's hoping to establish itself in the top flight but, y'know, is a long way away winning things. That just rung, when I first saw the announcement, just made me feel a bit uncomfortable with just how concrete this whole England situation is ... it doesn't feel so long term any more"

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Paul Barber: “Paul [Winstanley] and his player recruitment and analysis team will report to Dan, but importantly their roles and responsibilities will not change. Paul will continue to head up this area, while continuing to work very closely with Chris, Tony and myself, as he has done for several years now.”

Uh oh. This is an organisational fudge, and, imo, likely to lead to one of PW or Dan leaving in the 1-3 year timescale.

Either, PW reports to Dan, in which case why is PB already limiting the changes that Dan can make to his team before the man has even started work, and why is he saying that PW will continue to work very closely with Tony, CH and himself?

Or, there’s in effect no change to PW’s reporting relationships and standing in the club, in which case why have him report to Dan?

A fudge, and one that will end in tears for one of the two men. You read it here first.

It does seem an odd arrangement, PW reporting to Dan but working closely with the CEO and chairman....who are both a level above Dan.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It does seem an odd arrangement, PW reporting to Dan but working closely with the CEO and chairman....who are both a level above Dan.

I suppose if DA doesn’t officially start til the Spring there will have to be transitional/temporary reportIng arrangements, esp during the next transfer window.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Like somebody said as a comment on the Argus website - not normally known for its sane take on things - 'we've lasted the last 100 years without a Technical Director. Another 6 months won't make much difference' :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fail to see how DA appointment will have any affect on PW as I see it as CH and DA talking and agreeing on what is needed and PW going after players for that position, so no problem. I see it more as a help for CH than a slight on anybody else.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Bad timing all round, really. The U23s and U18s are doing okay already and the first team's struggles mean that planning for the next transfer window is complicated by the fact that we probably won't know what division we'll be in next season until very late on. He'll have nothing much to do except make paper-clip chains and fire off 'You spent HOW MUCH on Locadia and Jahanbahksh?' emails to Paul Winstanley.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bad timing all round, really. The U23s and U18s are doing okay already and the first team's struggles mean that planning for the next transfer window is complicated by the fact that we probably won't know what division we'll be in next season until very late on. He'll have nothing much to do except make paper-clip chains and fire off 'You spent HOW MUCH on Locadia and Jahanbahksh?' emails to Paul Winstanley.

It could be worse he could be writing:-

'We're spending how much on Bentacky, Mr Tumble, The German Messi & Batshuayi'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Starts work today at Lancing according to that article. Assuming that we improve our 1st team results, which most expect , will that be down to him or the existing management team?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Starts work today at Lancing according to that article. Assuming that we improve our 1st team results, which most expect , will that be down to him or the existing management team?

I've heard they've switched from PG Tips to Yorkshire Tea so that can probably be credited with any upturn in results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here