Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Anyone been to the musical Motown?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have tickets for June and am quite looking forward to it but an NSC review would be welcome

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Would like to go, but scared of being disappointed. Anybody remember that show at the TopRank with the Four Tops, Temptations, and the Supremes back in the day?
Funnily enough, I made a Motown mix for a bar here the other day, went down quite well, surprised how many of the tunes they knew.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Have tickets for June and am quite looking forward to it but an NSC review would be welcome

I’ve been to a few shows and enjoyed them all. But Motown was my least favourite. You’ll probably like it more than I did if you are into Motown music! I like some of it, but not a huge fan. Would like them to have played more of each song, rather than snippets of several songs. Marvin Gaye was brilliant.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I’ve been to a few shows and enjoyed them all. But Motown was my least favourite. You’ll probably like it more than I did if you are into Motown music! I like some of it, but not a huge fan. Would like them to have played more of each song, rather than snippets of several songs. Marvin Gaye was brilliant.

Yes, I grew up with Motown. My son has been and he doesn’t usually like Musicals but he too commented on how they only played snippets of music which he liked as he wasn’t familiar with all the songs. Not convinced myself, I am likely to know most of the songs and as just as you get into it, the music stops,

Jersey Boys was much the same with music snippets but I loved that show, so fingers crossed it will be on a par.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I loved it loved it loved it...but I think you have to like the music, tells the whole Motown story, I would go and see it again for sure. It's as good as Jersey Boys...

SAC

May 21, 2014
I went last year and really enjoyed it.

All or Nothing (Small Faces) and Sunny Afternoon (Kinks) are also great.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Loved Sunny Afternoon but haven’t seen All or Nothing. Is that still on?

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
saw it in tunbrdige wells earlier this year, if its the same thing then it's not a story as such, more some cool fellas and gals belting out some classics...a few g and ts and we stood up dancing through most of it....would do it again....

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Saw it in New York and it was excellent. We were the only white people in the audience as far as we could see and we couldn’t understand why they weren’t all up dancing - until we found out it wasn’t allowed. Shame some of the concerts over here can’t be seated only.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Loved Sunny Afternoon but haven’t seen All or Nothing. Is that still on?

If you like the Small Faces music then there is a tribute band called the Small Fakers who will be at the Concorde 2 in August, they are brilliant.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Would like to go, but scared of being disappointed. Anybody remember that show at the TopRank with the Four Tops, Temptations, and the Supremes back in the day?
Funnily enough, I made a Motown mix for a bar here the other day, went down quite well, surprised how many of the tunes they knew.

This. I am a big Motown fan and have ,in years past, seen all the big names live, but I’m not sure that I would enjoy snippets of their hits sung by the cast of a musical.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

He's right about the last two - but I really don't fancy the Motown thing ... and I say that as someone who has a lot of Motown on the Jukbox!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here