Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good running from the NSC runners club.

Results are here

http://www.seafordstriders.org.uk/Newsite/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/rptResult.pdf

I think [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] pipped me by one second for this years Mince Pie crown.

I thought he was mine coming to the line but a late burst saw him keep just ahead.

I recognise the name but not the face so I wasn't aware it was you, otherwise I would have said well done.

Was that you? I was aware of you tanking up behind me but determined to hold the place. I've only seen you from a distance but funny as I'd said to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I hadn't seen anyone and yet you were breathing down my neck. I'll look after the crown as I'm sure you'll get it back next year

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Was that you? I was aware of you tanking up behind me but determined to hold the place. I've only seen you from a distance but funny as I'd said to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I hadn't seen anyone and yet you were breathing down my neck. I'll look after the crown as I'm sure you'll get it back next year

Thought it was odd when I saw the results that you had said you hadn't see on anyone!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thought it was odd when I saw the results that you had said you hadn't see on anyone!

He probably smelt me rather than saw me, I think he led throughout and I ran out of time when trying to catch.

Here are my Garmin splits, would be interesting to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] to see how he paced it.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Enjoyed Mince Pie, finished in 1:13 ish so a couple of mins quicker than last year, so pleased with that.
It's a pretty hard 10 miles even in good weather, lots of variation in gradient and underfoot- a proper work out.

Good to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION], [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]

Congratulations to all the Mincers today. Glad I wasn't there, would have taken a thrashing. Well done [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] on grabbing the Gold. You're set up nicely for 2017.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Congratulations to all the Mincers today. Glad I wasn't there, would have taken a thrashing. Well done [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] on grabbing the Gold. You're set up nicely for 2017.

All of this, I would also have been soundly thrashed.....some great running out there chaps [emoji106]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Beautiful morning for it again today, although the pavements yet to be touched by the sun were somewhat treacherous.

Managed another 5 miles, just a touch quicker than Thursday's effort.

In between, I went to Worthing's Kids Run Free session on Saturday with my 6-y-o. Fair play to him, he's done every one since launch which has included a really hot one in August, one where it was absolutely tipping it down in October and cold ones in November and this month. It's like Park Run for kids, once a month and a great way to start kids off with running. Details here if you're interested - there's one in Brighton too: http://www.kidsrunfree.co.uk/site/index.php I ran back from that which was a shade over 3 miles.

My knees are still not right, but they can't be that bad if they allow me to run 5 miles every few days, right? I need to resist the burning temptation to get out every day again.

In other news, my forays into TK Maxx finally came up trumps with a pair of GTS15s in my size for £35.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My knees are still not right, but they can't be that bad if they allow me to run 5 miles every few days, right? I need to resist the burning temptation to get out every day again.

Running every day just isn't good for you in my opinion, recovery is as important as the exercise. Think about what you'd prefer, two or three good runs per week, or seven progressively worse ones?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running every day just isn't good for you in my opinion, recovery is as important as the exercise. Think about what you'd prefer, two or three good runs per week, or seven progressively worse ones?
Is the correct answer......We're all different but rest days, or at least low intensity cross-training days are essential. 2-3 quality productive sessions a week is plenty. The remaining days should be easy or resting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is the correct answer......We're all different but rest days, or at least low intensity cross-training days are essential. 2-3 quality productive sessions a week is plenty. The remaining days should be easy or resting

Yes, yes I know all this.

But, as I say, my natural urge is to go out every day. In fact, I'm sitting here now with a desire to go out again this afternoon. I won't, because I'll be Captain Sensible, but I do find it difficult to resist.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, yes I know all this.

But, as I say, my natural urge is to go out every day. In fact, I'm sitting here now with a desire to go out again this afternoon. I won't, because I'll be Captain Sensible, but I do find it difficult to resist.
Completely get that as well. The very worst thing in running is....not running.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
After 3 gigs in 3 days I miserably failed to get out of bed Sunday morning for my usual long run, plus it was cold and icy and staying under the duvet made much more sense. .Once I had finally got up I went to my Mums in Hove, had lunch at Carats Cafe, then went to see all the Snowdogs at the Corn Exchange. Got back to my Mums and was ready to spend the afternoon in front of the TV doing nothing, but my feet wanted to go for a run! I dont run in the evnings at home because we have no streetlights, so it was quite a novel experiance for me. Nearly got as far as the Marina and was amazed at the number of people out and about on a cold evening. Managed 9.4 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes so was happy with that. Next run will be in the gym on Wednesday evening as trying to stick to my 16 week marathon training plan (15 weeks to Cyprus Marathon). Also finally broke the 700 miles in total for 2016.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just checked the Strava page and it has this motto at the top:

Group for members of North Stand Chat (NSC) who run/jog/hobble/walk #BHAFC

So I'm back in with my ambling, hobbling.20" mile pace, which isn't bad when you have a dog to wait for and views to stop for. Beautiful weather.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great gear! Great face!

There's a better/worse action shot of me out on the course, that I've been made aware of today...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just checked the Strava page and it has this motto at the top:

Group for members of North Stand Chat (NSC) who run/jog/hobble/walk #BHAFC

So I'm back in with my ambling, hobbling.20" mile pace, which isn't bad when you have a dog to wait for and views to stop for. Beautiful weather.

Glad to hear you're getting back out and about again [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

I created a new segment on Strava, ALL of Ditchling Road. From the very start of the Level past St Peters Church all the way to the top and the junction with Coldean Lane. Not too many people have done it, any brave souls here going to give it a go?!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I prefer [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]s hairy, brown legs......

Ha ha, cheers [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. I had such a laugh on Sunday and funnily enough it's probably the quickest I've ever run it. Those other speed demons might have got their 1:13/1:10 times, but they DIDN'T get a tube of Rolos as a spot prize for wearing an Albion Christmas jumper, did they? :lol:

All I've got to do is lose a minute from my parkrun time in the next few weeks and that's both my December goals done. Number 200 on Saturday – it might have to be Hove Park...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here